: OIL FILTER/oil/AIR FILTER? What do you use on your N*?

STSj90
08-16-08, 08:38 AM
What oil filter do you think is the best? And what do you use?

What oil do you use? What viscosity? Ever use any additives?

And how long have you used these? And if you switched from a brand to these....WHY did you?

Ever heard anything bad about any Filter's or oils? Tell us.

Same questions go for Air filters...

And ALSO: What do you recommend for filters and oil?

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions about oil and filters. This thread can be useful in the future if it gets enough reply'ers.

codewize
08-16-08, 09:37 AM
All these questions have been covered 1000 times over. Do a search. There's more serious data here on oil and filters than you ever care to know.

I use only WIX filters on everything I own. Years ago it was proven to me that WIX and MANN filters are superior to all others. I think WIX is now owned or made by the DANA corp.

I use Valvoline 10W-30. It's what I've been using for 25 years and I'll continue to use it until someone shows me a reason not to.

In the past my process was to add some Marvel Mystery oil the day before and oil change. The theory was to loosen anything up and get it into the pan for draining. This is theory. Then I would change the oil and add a qt of Lucas to the new oil. I don't do the Lucas with every change on the N* because I just don't think it's necessary. About every 3rd change.

The L05 in my Brougham just had a compression test done and the mechanic was beside himself. The car just turned 200k miles and has exactly 180 PSI on all 8 cylinders. That's 0% wear over 200k miles.

Again this is all theory but that's what I've been doing and everything I own runs well beyond 200k. BUT please do search on this, there's just an overwhelming amount of discussion on it.

STSj90
08-16-08, 10:01 AM
I know i could have searched. But is there a thread with all of these questions in it and info? I figured i would make a thread with all of this info in it to be helpful.

Anyway, Valvoline is good stuff. I use Castrol 10w 30 high mileage. Good stuff. Ive always used a FRAM oil filter. Ive been doing quite a bit of research on them and it seems like WIX is todays choice. (and the better filter) I looked for the filtering rating's on the fram oil filters but couldnt find them. Would be cool to compare. But i already know that K&N and WIX will have better numbers than FRAM. I guess i need to switch.

MisterBlue
08-16-08, 11:00 AM
I use the Bosch oil filters. They're a little larger (longer) than most, and I have to believe that's an asset. I suspect that only a brand-new oil filter flows most opf the oil. The N* filter has so little surface area that most of the oil probably bypasses the media, anyway. Wix makes a fine filter, always did. I used them back in the '60s, but you hardly ever see them around here.

For air filters, I'm using a K&N. Once again, the factory filter is smallish, for my tastes, but I have to believe that with the design of the filter box, it doesn't matter much anyhow. If I can ever get ahold of another filter box, I'll modify it so the inlet size is closer to the outlet size. The stock unit has an inlet that's about 1/2 the size of it's outlet, and that makes no sense at all for performance. (I imagine the engineers did that for noise reduction.)

Ranger
08-16-08, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't put a Fram oil filter on a lawn mower from everything that I have heard. I use A/C Delco. I will use a Fram air filter. 10W30 oil, any brand.

codewize
08-16-08, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't put a FRAM filter on my lawn mower. They're garbage, with the exception of the new Dura Guard or whatever it is.

EDIT: That's to funny that I said exactly the same thing LOL

If you look around you'll also find that K&N is not the best choice for air filters either, in most cases they decrease horse power and have less filtering ability than most. I use WIX air filters as well but the the OE ones are just fine, AC Delco that is.

I know i could have searched. But is there a thread with all of these questions in it and info? I figured i would make a thread with all of this info in it to be helpful.

Anyway, Valvoline is good stuff. I use Castrol 10w 30 high mileage. Good stuff. Ive always used a FRAM oil filter. Ive been doing quite a bit of research on them and it seems like WIX is todays choice. (and the better filter) I looked for the filtering rating's on the fram oil filters but couldnt find them. Would be cool to compare. But i already know that K&N and WIX will have better numbers than FRAM. I guess i need to switch.

Submariner409
08-16-08, 06:46 PM
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record........

WIX oil and air filters, Pennzoil 5W-30 Platinum synthetic in the car, 5W-20 in the truck. Neither uses any oil in 3,000 miles.

K&N is carefully designed to lighten your wallet.

STSj90
08-16-08, 10:17 PM
I was talking about the K&N oil filters. I would NEVER use a K&N air filter. They dont filter as much. And i KNOW that. I use fram air filters because i know they work. Kinda hard to know how good fram does with oil filters. Like i said, I would like to compare the numbers of FRAM,WIX, and K&N. Ill do some looking to see if i can find there info.

Ive never had any problems with FRAM products. All my cars have ran strong for a long time. But, I guess theres proof that there not the best.

STSj90
08-17-08, 11:50 AM
Founds some good stuff.

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/reference.html

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/opinions.html

Submariner409
08-17-08, 12:20 PM
STS............Good thing you found the Knize studies.......I have the older versions somewhere in "My Files" and can't remember where I got them.

He obviously did a lot of work and everyone in CF should read all 3 links. It would save a lot of hunt-and-peck. :yup:

Ranger, Urb, Is it a copyright infringement to save the Knize links or actual pages as a "sticky" in CF ?

EDIT: Look closely at the filters he cut open and you'll see why I have posted this process for a couple of years......really lets you know what's in your oil........

STSj90
08-18-08, 05:29 AM
I actually just did a heck of alot more research on oil filters. And let me just say. People, Dont use FRAM for oil filters. Doesn't look like a very healthy design to me. sorry fram. :) Im switching to WIX for oil filters. Im about to change my oil(tomorrow) And on goes the WIX filter! The wix design looks to be well thought out. They actually put some thinking to there design. UNLIKE FRAM!

But i will say this.

FRAM air filters are A++++ And i will always use them. Unless they change there design. Good work on the air filters! Bad work on the oil filters...

EDIT: Almost forgot. Im cutting my used fram open tomorrow and checking it out. I Wanna see how good there BAD design really works. I will post up some pictures if there worth posting.

Submariner409
08-18-08, 10:51 AM
When you cut the filter open, if you can't use a lathe, use a hacksaw and vise and cut around the can just below the tapping plate. Yes, you will get some chips in the upper end of the media, so discount the first inch or so in your study. Carefully remove the media pack and separate the pleats from the end caps. Break the media into 10-pleat sections and, with a rag under, squeeze each section absolutely dry in the vise, sort of like putting two fingers side-by-side in the vise, not one over the other. The dry media can now pe pulled open like an accordion and the creases inspected for chips, gasket pieces, red and blue gasket sealant, polished flakes. Keep track of which is the "filter first" side: the side originally toward the outside of the can.

The whole procedure is a mess, but it sure is instructional........

JohnnyO
08-18-08, 05:12 PM
Air filters, NAPA Gold.
Oil filters, usually AC. Tried Mobil 1 oil filters a couple times but always had a hard time getting them to thread onto the Cadillacs. Never a problem with them on any other vehicle.
Fuel filters, WIX. They're good but mostly because that's what the parts store near my house carries.

In dad's '04 DeVille I use 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum. Mom's '99 Eldorado burns oil and I've found that it burns less with Valvoline Max Life 10w-30 (even though it does not have high mileage).

Ur7x
08-22-08, 07:42 PM
Oil filter? ONLY A/C Delco

Oil? Whatever 5W30 is on sale at Walmart.. No oil problems in over 100,000 miles.

NHRATA01
08-23-08, 12:35 PM
For air filters I use Fram. Their paper elements flow near as good as a cotton/oil without letting more junk through. I would NEVER touch their cheap, cardboard endcapped oil filters though. I tend to use the A/C Delco filter with M1 on my DD vehicle (the SLS right now). I do prefer the K&N with Amsoil on my T/A, as the K&N tends to return the best filtration numbers in testing without going into bypass so easily or adding as much flow restriction like the M1 filter does.

JohnnyO
08-30-08, 09:22 PM
Lotta people bag on Fram oil filters, which is well-founded. Lotta people defend Frams too. A Fram won't necessarily blow up your engine but the simple fact is that there are much better filters available for the same money (like AC).