: 3rd brake lens assembly

sburgin
08-16-08, 12:43 AM
05 STS. Noticed while waxing recently that there is "play" with the right side (right as in you're looking at the light from the rear of the car) of the 3rd brake lens assembly (the "V" shaped light on the upper side of the trunk).
The assembly moves at least half an inch or so.

The rest of the assembly (the middle and left side) is tight against the trunk.

I had the car in recently for some other warranty work, and the service writer told me when I picked the car up that the play was normal. In his words - the dealership owners' STS has the same play at the same spot.

So - is this in fact normal ? Would you kind fellow forum members be willing to check your 3rd brake light assemblies for me to see if you experience the same thing.

If anyone has experience installing/deinstalling these, and knows they should be tight - any advise on why it might be wiggling would be appreciated (at least I could print it and hand it to my service advisor) :-)

jono6406
08-16-08, 10:34 AM
I have an 05 STS and I checked my 3rd stop light and it's tight and snugg right where it is suppoed to be. There is no play nor movement of any kind.
Jono

STScaddyman65
08-16-08, 05:54 PM
My 06 has a slight bit,(1/4") of movement when you push towards the decklid on the right side as well. This is all the way to end of the tip on the brakelight. It's not loose by any means and I don't know if its normal or not.

nixonride
08-20-08, 08:22 PM
The third brake light has bolts attached to it and it goes through the trunk lid then you tighten on the nuts....take off the carpet on the trunk lid and try to tighten up the nuts on that side and see if that takes care of it....if not take it to the dealer and have them look at it again because I don't have that...didn't with the stock and didn't once I put on the clear one.

skippydts
08-24-08, 01:35 AM
I have a DTS, and the third brake light was loose on one side. I checked the bolts, and they were loose. I tightened them all, and it is tight as you know what