: 06 sts4 front whine

seanandniksts4
08-14-08, 09:34 PM
I just picked up an 06 v-6 sts4 today with 37k. well on the way home after @ 25 mins i heard a load whine from the front transfer case/diff. when i let off the gas, sounds like a jake brake from a big rig. looked under and there is oil/tranny fluid all over the steering rack and right front a frame, also smells really strong of tranny fluid. looks like the seal/bushing where the driveshaft comes in was replaced as it is shiny new and not leaking. could not see any leaks or any fluid on the ground under car after parking. looks like a mess from previous they fix but didnt clean up well. do not know if there is even any fluid in the front diff, tranny shifts rough/clunks when put into drive.is this common? i am debating on returning this car, i have 3 days to get out of contract, otherwise love it but bad way to start a new ownership.

dkozloski
08-15-08, 11:43 AM
I just picked up an 06 v-6 sts4 today with 37k. well on the way home after @ 25 mins i heard a load whine from the front transfer case/diff. when i let off the gas, sounds like a jake brake from a big rig. looked under and there is oil/tranny fluid all over the steering rack and right front a frame, also smells really strong of tranny fluid. looks like the seal/bushing where the driveshaft comes in was replaced as it is shiny new and not leaking. could not see any leaks or any fluid on the ground under car after parking. looks like a mess from previous they fix but didnt clean up well. do not know if there is even any fluid in the front diff, tranny shifts rough/clunks when put into drive.is this common? i am debating on returning this car, i have 3 days to get out of contract, otherwise love it but bad way to start a new ownership.
Take this thing back instantly. There should be no extraneous noise or leaking fluids. Something is broke.

seanandniksts4
08-15-08, 02:22 PM
i am bringing car back now and they are giving me a loaner. they say,without looking at it, it is probably the front differential, i guess it is pretty common, i'll let you know when i kow more, may just refuse this car and have them find me another one.i have 3 days to take it back right?

dkozloski
08-15-08, 02:33 PM
i am bringing car back now and they are giving me a loaner. they say,without looking at it, it is probably the front differential, i guess it is pretty common, i'll let you know when i kow more, may just refuse this car and have them find me another one.i have 3 days to take it back right?
The front differential is not a problem area on these cars. The transfer case is an off the shelf item from Borg-Warner. You should not be having trouble. I'd suspect some sort of abuse. There was a recall for pinion seals on these models. Maybe the work was botched.

seanandniksts4
08-18-08, 04:51 PM
Talked to dealer today, they are going to replace the differantial, he thinks when the pinion seals were replaced,someone forgot to refill or it leaked out and the diff got burnt out, says they will install tomorrow and i can have it wednesday, we'll see.