: What to do with poor service

jashearer
08-14-08, 09:07 PM
So I've hinted around on a couple threads that I've been having A/H issues on the V. I know everyone that has the same issues has the steering position sensor replaced and it cures it.

The first time I took it to Community Motors in Waterloo/Cedar Falls IA they "reprogramed the ECU" which was supposedly a fix. Well guess what it didn't work, no big surprise.

I paid them a visit yesterday telling them the problem was still there still intermittent, but happens enough to drive me nuts on a 1+ hour drive anywhere. Tell them what I think is the culprit and explain why I think that is. They said just bring it in they'll figure it out. I asked what the plan was to diagnose it since I didn't want them driving my car all day and not experiencing it and then saying there was nothing they could do. They assured me that they could figure it out and to bring it in.

I brought it in first thing this morning and got a call at 1:30. You guessed it, they told me they drove it for 60 miles and couldn't replicate the problem. They said they would keep driving it and let me know.

I told them this was totally unacceptable and I would be down to pick up my car. When I got down there the service manager came in and and proceeded to ask why it was unacceptable. I explained that it was in itermintant problem and asked what he thought the most likely syptom of a bad steering position sensor was. He said it could be it but it could also be something else and wasn't willing to "throw parts at it". I garuntee if it wasn't under warranty they would be throwing parts at it, and argued with the guy for 15 minutes which ended up with me just driving the car off the lot.

I then got a call from him 15 minutes later saying they talked to cadillac and that they reason it was happening is because I have 255/40 tires on my car which are out of spec. No way, they well within any tolerances of the ECU and besides the point there 4 matched sized tires all the way around, its not like I'm driving staggered sizes.

So what should I do, I don't have another caddy dealer within an hour of me...

Am I wrong to think they should just replace it? What happened to the days of diagnosing problems without having a computer tell you what it is... lame

Jay

CtsVrod
08-14-08, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately there isnt much else you can do with that dealer... Plus I wouldnt want to take it back to them either way, considering there lack of knowledge, and respect for the customer... 60 miles?? No Way would I let the dealer drive my car around for 60 Miles. Maybe I drive they sit, and watch. Your best bet is to just go to another dealer, and hope for better service. Its really a crap shoot, and can really depend on which service writer happend to pick you up... GOOD LUCK

jashearer
08-15-08, 10:08 AM
I did find another dealer in a small town 30 miles away... but I'm going to guess they'll have way less experience with A/H systems then this dealer. Maybe they'll be more receptive to trying it my way though.

Any idea how hard the install is on one of these? Its only a $90 part, so worst case scenario I'll do it myself. I'm no certified mechanic, but I'm pretty handy with a wrench.

Jay

AirCav
08-16-08, 10:36 AM
John Keady Cadillac in Davenport has a good writeup in the FAQ dealer rankings. http://www.cardealerrank.com/dealer-profile.php?dealerid=154 It might be worth the drive. Who knows?

Make sure to rank your current dealer and add it to the list. Good luck.

jashearer
08-17-08, 09:51 PM
John Keady Cadillac in Davenport has a good writeup in the FAQ dealer rankings. http://www.cardealerrank.com/dealer-profile.php?dealerid=154 It might be worth the drive. Who knows?

Make sure to rank your current dealer and add it to the list. Good luck.

Yeah I actually just moved from the quad cities to Waterloo, Keady was where the car was bought and is a great dealer.

They listened to me on my transmission issues and ended up trying it their way first (re-balancing the driveshaft) but then swapped the transmission (and a day later knocked their added weights off the driveshaft) at my request. I had a new DTS to drive every time as well.

I may end up having to do that :(

Thanks for the link I'll definitely put Community in there.

Jay

jashearer
08-28-08, 08:08 PM
So just got my V back from a Dealer about 40 miles from town. They couldn't replicate the issue after 20 miles, but low and behold they did something crazy. They attempted to diagnose it without a computer telling them what to do.

So guess what they replaced the steering position sensor. Drove it home with absolutely no issues this afternoon. Knock on wood, hopefully this fixes it.

Cadillac will be getting a call from me, ragging on one dealer and praising the next. Wanted to get resolution to my issue before I made that call.

Jay

darkman
08-28-08, 10:14 PM
So just got my V back from a Dealer about 40 miles from town. They couldn't replicate the issue after 20 miles, but low and behold they did something crazy. They attempted to diagnose it without a computer telling them what to do.

So guess what they replaced the steering position sensor. Drove it home with absolutely no issues this afternoon. Knock on wood, hopefully this fixes it.

Cadillac will be getting a call from me, ragging on one dealer and praising the next. Wanted to get resolution to my issue before I made that call.

Jay

I hope you don't get dealer#2 in trouble with GM for billing them for the replacement of a part without confirming it was broken.

jashearer
08-28-08, 10:36 PM
I hope you don't get dealer#2 in trouble with GM for billing them for the replacement of a part without confirming it was broken.

Do you think that's a valid concern?

I definitely don't want to get them in trouble but I'd like to show my gratitude.

Jay

darkman
08-28-08, 10:48 PM
Do you think that's a valid concern?

I definitely don't want to get them in trouble but I'd like to show my gratitude.

Jay

I do not know for sure, but I strongly suspect that GM audits warranty claims to make sure the dealerships are not fixing phantom problems at GM's expense. I think that is why dealers can be hesitant to make repairs when they cannot duplicate the condition or find a defective part. If that is the case, calling attention to dealer#2's handling of your problem could come back on the dealer.