: Help I bought a lemon and Cadillac won't do a thing

sts50
08-14-08, 04:05 PM
First for those who purchased your STS and are happy kudos to you. I am asking for your help in trying to get my problem resolved. Any info/leads are appreciated. Here's what happened. I purchased the car Nov 2007 (it's a 2005 and had about 32000 on it. RED FLAGS? It had remaining manufacturer's warranty left. It has been in the shop under that warranty on the average of every3-4 months since. The dealer has been wonderful and has helped me out and expressed concern that I purchased a lemon. I asked them for a history of the car and Since 9/2004 when the car was purchased it's had 7 pages of repairs done. Most major like the catalytic converter replaced twice, steering components, Ignition coil etc. Not to mention pain in the neck things like door locks/windows and hood latch.
I purchased the extended warranty ($2000) prior to my manufacturers expiration. Given the cars history I asked Cadillac to reimburse the cost of the extended or at least some part of it given the cars history. I spoke with a rep and she was going to investigate further and get back to me leading me to believe they would once they contacted the dealer. The dealer thought that Cadillac would do so as well. The s"Supervisor" called back and flatly refused to help me and said because I purchased the extended there was nothing Cadillac would/could do. I contacted the Lemon Law division of the Attorney General and in no uncertain terms, they said I didn't have a leg to stand on according to Lemon Law. If anyone has any sort of suggestion as to where I should turn please let me know. Let's face it there is something really wrong with this particular car. Sorry for such a long post.

cadillacroadside
08-14-08, 04:16 PM
regardless of where you purchased the vehicle, most states have used car lemon laws, because the vehicle is under factory warranty does not mean anything here. you didnt purchase new so gm is under no obligation to you to do anything, your gripe is with the people you purchased, and under used car lemon law you have many many rights as a consumer

tomm
08-14-08, 04:21 PM
Maybe I am just not following you... You purchased a used car so why would lenon law have anything to do with this vehicle?

You purchased a used car so anything done to the vehicle prior to you buying it has nothing to do with you. Its very possible that it was a leased vehicle and was probably abused since they knew it was going back anyway.

Where did you purchase it? Did you even purchase it at a Cadillac dealer?

dkozloski
08-14-08, 04:29 PM
You're trying to lock the barn after the horse is out. The stuff you're doing now is what you should have done before buying. Buyer beware. You should have requested the info before the sale.

lreddiablo
08-14-08, 05:14 PM
Had a lemon law candidate years ago on a new car, not sure how used works, but never saw a penny after making many claims to Chrysler, government agencies, etc. Big waste of time to probably get nothing!

MARKVIII
08-14-08, 05:29 PM
if it is under warranty just keep bringing it back and getting a loaner. let them fix it till there sick of looking at it. thats what i do.

skippydts
08-14-08, 07:25 PM
Sounds like you take it in for different things each time to be fixed. If I recall correctly, the lemon law only works if you take the car in for service for the SAME THING more than three times. If it can't be fixed, then they start negotiating. It still doesn't mean you get your money back. Like he said, Do plenty of investigating BEFORE the purchase. Carfax is a good guide, but it isn't 100% either. I wouldn't trash the STS line either.
My sister purchased a VW, and had to deal with problems on her own, over and over.....She sold it... Maybe you should also.

sts50
08-14-08, 07:53 PM
Thanks...I understand... but it's still disappointing to have a Luxury car with such difficulties. I appreciate your responses and while it is a headache, I have to make the decision to drive it or trade it.

Jesda
08-14-08, 09:46 PM
I think its time to sell or trade. Very unfortunate situation.

dkozloski
08-14-08, 10:55 PM
It sounds to me that you bought a used car with problems. As long as you have a dealer that will fix them you can look forward to a long and pleasant ownership of a repaired car. Why trade the devil you know for the devil you don't know.

urbanski
08-15-08, 07:13 AM
It sounds to me that you bought a used car with problems. As long as you have a dealer that will fix them you can look forward to a long and pleasant ownership of a repaired car. Why trade the devil you know for the devil you don't know.

^^with a little bit more research next time

STScaddyman65
08-15-08, 07:39 AM
I feel for you brother, I really do!
And I HATE to hear the displeasure you have with your STS, it's not the norm, but I can also chime in with the rest of the family here about buying a used car, of any make for that matter. I took the same chance and bought used, but I did some real homework, even then, you never know how it was treated prior to you owning it. I can only tell you that GM works these babies over and over and over before they leave the plant to be sure the 1st owner is satisified 100 percent with their Cadillac. It sounds like you have a GREAT dealership trying to help, my advice, ditch it and go on with a learning bump on the head and stick to GM certified plus do homework on the next used car, lots of it.

ewill3rd
08-15-08, 07:53 AM
If I understand you properly you are saying that you bought a used car that appears to have either been traded out of frustration or purchased back by GM and then re-sold.
You seem to have bought a GMPP contract.
Have YOU been taking the car back or are you trying to get an extended warranty because it has a long warranty history?
A history of warranty repair could simply mean that the car is finally fixed. If YOU are having to take the car back in repeatedly for the same problems over and over then you might have an issue, but probably the issue would be a bad dealer.

You can't get a free (or discounted) extended warranty from the manufacturer on a car that has a history of problems in the past but is running fine now.
Based on your original post it sounds to me like you did just fine, if you start to have issues then you can work with the dealer. Replacing parts under warranty doesn't mean that a car is junk, it just means it had a lot of parts replaced under warranty. Maybe the tech who had it for service didn't know what he was doing and kept throwing parts at it to fix a problem he wasn't good enough to diagnose the first time? That isn't the cars fault and it doesn't mean the car is no good.

I'd agree with others (even though it sounds kind of mean) that this is the kind of research you do before you buy the car, not after.
If I am reading what you wrote properly, it seems you are worried about something that may never be a problem.

justgreat
08-15-08, 09:49 AM
Maybe I am just not following you... You purchased a used car so why would lenon law have anything to do with this vehicle?

You purchased a used car so anything done to the vehicle prior to you buying it has nothing to do with you. Its very possible that it was a leased vehicle and was probably abused since they knew it was going back anyway.

Where did you purchase it? Did you even purchase it at a Cadillac dealer?

oh yeah; the lennon law...you buy a car and they shoot you on the sidewalk...in this case, the lenon law, they only wound you...

jackg
06 sts6

sts50
08-18-08, 03:20 PM
Thanks to all for your responses. I'll keep driving and hope now that most of the car has been rebuilt it will be a trusty ride for a long time. If not, I'll keep bringing it back I like driving the car and as many of you pointed out it's for different things each time. It's just such a pain in the ass. And you are right I should have done my homework before
purchase. I consider this my spanking for not doing so.
Live and learn.

themightymezzo
08-25-08, 12:19 PM
if it is under warranty just keep bringing it back and getting a loaner. let them fix it till there sick of looking at it. thats what i do.

This is what I've been doing. See my post here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/147017-05-sts-issues-please-help.html

I should've done more research before buying the car but I believe most of the stuff I've had to wrong isn't anything research would've helped. I too have considered the Lemon Law but looking into it I can't seem to figure out if VA's Lemon Law covers used purchases and what determines if I have a case. This torque converter sound or whatever is driving me crazy. Think this was the 3rd or 4th time I took it in for the same problem and yet still does it. Taking a break from bringing it in but notified them I'm still having the same problem and will contact them shortly to set up to bring it in. As of now I've had an H3, DTS, Chevy Truck and SRX. Wonder what I'll get this time? The dealer being about a half hour drive for me drives me a little nuts but I rejoice in the fact that they have to keep paying for my rentals and all the labor on the car. I haven't paid a dime except for gas getting there and back. It's a little pleasure for the pain I have to go through trying to get it fixed.