: What else should I do before V-Day II?

pveomett
08-14-08, 10:47 AM
I haven't registered yet for V-Day yet, but I will hopefully get that done today or tomorrow. I currently have a Corsa catback, K&N CAI, Wait4Me tune, and UUC shifter/knob/bushings...

Before October, I plan on getting Kooks, new tune, Specter Werkes bushings, POSSIBLY the new KARS(ish) Kit, some new pads and rotors if I need them. I ordered some Amsoil fluid to change the trans fluid/rear-end fluid. I will get my brake/clutch fluids changed also.

Is there anything that I haven't thought of that would be helpful for the track day (obviously the maintenance items will be more useful than the mods...). This is my first track day, so my car being safe is more important than it being even faster.

Thanks,
Pat

qqik4u
08-14-08, 10:52 AM
tires??

pveomett
08-14-08, 12:10 PM
My tires are new. I got Bridgestones put on less than 1000 miles ago.

lollygagger8
08-14-08, 12:26 PM
Hotchkis sway bars w/ z06 links!!

Twitch
08-14-08, 12:27 PM
Dumb question, but you have a helmet, right?
Maybe a camera mount.

NormV
08-14-08, 12:43 PM
Study the course. Got have it memorized as it will help the learning curve plus lots of rest. Know the turn numbers and what an appex is. Some car physics help but hopefully we'll discuss those over a beer or two(bigjim likes to use a punt per turn). You tube is your friend.

Torque wrench, full tank of fuel,helmut.

Norm

thebigjimsho
08-14-08, 12:46 PM
A punt?

lollygagger8
08-14-08, 01:52 PM
Dont kick the pint! lol

pveomett
08-14-08, 09:14 PM
Dumb question, but you have a helmet, right?
Maybe a camera mount.
I have a Shoei and an Icon helmet from when I had my R1. Either one of those should work right?

Study the course. Got have it memorized as it will help the learning curve plus lots of rest. Know the turn numbers and what an appex is. Some car physics help but hopefully we'll discuss those over a beer or two(bigjim likes to use a punt per turn). You tube is your friend.

Norm

Nice! I didn't even think to youtube any videos of the track. I'll definately do that.

Not that I would be able to fix anything if it broke, but I was thinking about bringing some tools just in case... Or atleast so I look like I know what the hell I'm doing?

NormV
08-14-08, 09:27 PM
Dont kick the pint! lol

"pint"! Damn crackberry! :)

Norm

heavymetals
08-14-08, 10:13 PM
A fire extinguisher and a REALLY BITCHIN BRACKET to mount it on. :rolleyes:

soon to V
08-14-08, 10:35 PM
Since you are putting on new, make sure you bed your rotors and pads together with some miles before. Start with 30/30/30 rule or something similar (30 stops, from 30 miles and hour, 30 seconds in between). After you get your rotors/pads bedded start adding some harder stops. Sometime in the days before going to the track make sure you do some really hard stops from high speed (highway) to get things really mated well and find out how your car moves around or not under hard braking. Once things are really mated at heavy track speed braking, your confidence should go up to brake harder. You'll need this confidence. This car will almost always out brake novices.

Be ready for some time pressure chiming on track if you don't have your pressures right. There's pressure while cold, while warm (after driving there) and track HOT. I use GSD3's and they track wonderfully. I have found starting with warm tires the pressure should be around 31 front, and 29 rear. They will heat up and increase with hot lapping. Mark a line (yellow or white grease stick) on each tire to see how much they are turning over the corner. This will help you dial in the pressure just right. My tires have a tiny little triangle that points to the exact point you want your tires to roll over to. Once you get to these on all tires, you're in a good place for this level of activity. I usually have to keep letting air out between sessions to keep them dialed in as the heat doesn't dissipate quickly enough. Wait till a little before your next run as the air will be VERY hot if you do it right away. Dash indicators really help here. After the whole event, you will likely have to add air. Make sure you really use the cool down lap to not brake too hard and get things cooled off. These Brembos have a tendency to turn the paint gold after hard track day braking.

Watch your power steering fluid cap for some forced overflow. Good idea to check over engine bay after the runs. I would suggest running in Competitive Mode, it can really save you out there at track speeds. Also, watch for the smile on your face to be stuck there for several days afterwards! Enjoy.

thebigjimsho
08-15-08, 12:43 AM
If you're a n00b, I would suggest to leave all the nannies on and peel them back as you get more confidence and experience...

Feffman
08-15-08, 12:58 AM

And this is why we like to have Norm instructing for us at Summit Point!

Feff

ewill3rd
08-15-08, 08:13 AM
The main things I looked for when I was doing tech last time were....

Fluids, looks like you have that pretty well covered, I'd change the P/S fluid too.
Some guys used DOT 4 in the clutch and brake last go round.
Make sure you have no leaks. Common issues on the V are radiator, water pump, and steering pressure hose.

Brakes and tires need to be in good shape.

I'd recommend doing your mods as soon as possible so you can work out any bugs.

Have the motor mounts looked at and have them visually check the shocks, have seen a few leak out.
A lot of guys bought those seat belt locks to keep the belt tight on your waist.

A quick light check would be good.

I am sure there are other things but.... I have to get going to get to work!
:D

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
08-15-08, 09:21 AM

Norm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PzFQRjxeJus

pveomett
08-15-08, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys. I'm sure there are other people here that could use this information too, but I appreciate it. I went to Summit points website, and they break down the track by all the turns.

Twitch
08-15-08, 10:47 AM
My experience from two track days.
Before D-day I, I had the car waxes. I was hoping it would make it easier to was off all the bugs from the trip. It seemed to work well. The track was slow, and I didn't get into much traffic, so I didn't get any noticeable rock chips.
Last month I went to Pocono. No wax, and the bugs were a real bitch to get off. The track was much faster, and I was always up someones a$$ in the infield. Not only were there rubber marks all over the front of my V, but the paint got chipped up pretty bad.
Too late for me to get a clear-bra. So if I can't find something cheap and temporary, I'll just use some painters blue tape for the front.
I miss the 80s. Then I could just get a cheesie LeBra for the V :rolleyes:

Tony

pveomett
08-15-08, 01:55 PM
My experience from two track days.
Before D-day I, I had the car waxes. I was hoping it would make it easier to was off all the bugs from the trip. It seemed to work well. The track was slow, and I didn't get into much traffic, so I didn't get any noticeable rock chips.
Last month I went to Pocono. No wax, and the bugs were a real bitch to get off. The track was much faster, and I was always up someones a$$ in the infield. Not only were there rubber marks all over the front of my V, but the paint got chipped up pretty bad.
Too late for me to get a clear-bra. So if I can't find something cheap and temporary, I'll just use some painters blue tape for the front.
I miss the 80s. Then I could just get a cheesie LeBra for the V :rolleyes:

Tony
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/garage+sale/spray-on+protection+bra.do I don't know if this is more of what you're looking for, but I remembered seeing it a while back. It seems like it would work good for a track day...

coolcaddy1
08-15-08, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=pveomett;1605961]I have a Shoei and an Icon helmet from when I had my R1. Either one of those should work right?

Do helmuts at this event need to be SA rated? A motorcycle helmut is DOT approved but not SA. I believe the difference is a nomex liner in the SA and it will generaly take a harder single impact where as a Motorcycle helmut will take more smaller impacts (think a head bouncing off the pavement as you slide along on the bike as opposed to a single hit againts the dash when a car hits the wall)

Any how my point is can any one shead some light on this as I would hate to have people show up with helmuts that don't pass tech inspection. :(

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
08-15-08, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=pveomett;1605961]I have a Shoei and an Icon helmet from when I had my R1. Either one of those should work right?

Do helmuts at this event need to be SA rated? A motorcycle helmut is DOT approved but not SA. I believe the difference is a nomex liner in the SA and it will generaly take a harder single impact where as a Motorcycle helmut will take more smaller impacts (think a head bouncing off the pavement as you slide along on the bike as opposed to a single hit againts the dash when a car hits the wall)

Any how my point is can any one shead some light on this as I would hate to have people show up with helmuts that don't pass tech inspection. :(

An SA2000 or M2000 or newer rated helmet is required. this is covered in the registration form so there should not be any confusion.

Twitch
08-15-08, 03:15 PM
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/garage+sale/spray-on+protection+bra.do I don't know if this is more of what you're looking for, but I remembered seeing it a while back. It seems like it would work good for a track day...
Looks good, but it cant be that easy,,,,,,can it?
Thanks
Anybody use this stuff?

ewill3rd
08-15-08, 08:47 PM
Feff, are you looking for Snell 2000 or 2005?
I know my current bike helmet is rated good from last time but I forgot which spec you guys are looking for.
I ask because this time I am bringing my helmet to do some more ride alongs. Better if you have one that fits.
Trukk let me borrow one but it was too big.

thebigjimsho
08-15-08, 09:45 PM
Trukk let me borrow one but it was too big.:histeric:

Feffman
08-19-08, 02:06 AM
Feff, are you looking for Snell 2000 or 2005?
I know my current bike helmet is rated good from last time but I forgot which spec you guys are looking for.

For the Lindsay Cadillac track day, we will accept an SA or M rated helmet as long as they are 2000 or newer.

With that noted guys, let's get on the horn with Luke Butler at Lindsay Cadillac and get Summi tPoint October 20th filled up. You don't want to miss the fun and speed on Summit Point's main course.

Feff