: Falken 452's!

vegasVowner
08-13-08, 08:43 PM
Just returned from a 4000 mi. vaca in the V. DO NOT buy Falken 452's. These tires are complete garbage after 12,000 mi. and will drive you up the wall. Dude at the tire shop said they're feathering badly and he also stopped selling Falkens awhile ago. These things literally sound like a truck on superswampers. Before I had them rotated, I did a couple of cookies to try and wear down the feathering, as per the tire shop manager (ironic I know), it did seem to help for about the first 500 mi. on the way back home. At first, I actually thought it could be a wheel bearing but the noise doesnt go away during hard cornering. So back to the drawing board, any ideas guys on my next purchase for a good, quiet, performing tire that won't break the bank entirely?

HartmanV
08-13-08, 10:30 PM
I would look into the Nitto NT 555, but as with everything you get waht you pay for, the Nitto Invo's are a sick, look for an assymetrical tread design to help with feathering or chopping as these can be rotated any where on the car. I am new here so I do not know if I can say this, my apologies, but there are several Discount Tire Co. stores in the Vegas area, these are non commisioned salesmen who will probabally be able to help out alot.

type911
08-13-08, 10:42 PM
Mine are Quiet. Is it possible your alignments off. I have run Falkens on all my rides past and present.

peter simov
08-13-08, 11:05 PM
bfg kdw2

AAIIIC
08-13-08, 11:55 PM
Mine are Quiet. Is it possible your alignments off. I have run Falkens on all my rides past and present.
I agree, sounds like vegasVowner needs to get his alignment squared away. I've got nearly 10k miles on my FK452s so far, including three auto-x events, and they're wearing perfectly fine. Hell, I haven't even rotated them yet. (Need to get off my ass and do that one of these days... :o)

702CTSV
08-14-08, 03:21 AM
I had 452's on my Z and never had any trouble with them. NT555's however didnt even last me 12000 miles before I was at the wear line. And this isnt doing donuts and all kinds of aggressive driving. The 452's seemed to do really well.

csp3000
08-14-08, 10:02 AM
I loved mine on my car and had no problem with them at all. I would deff get them again. Maybe you got a bad batch???

Natedog
08-14-08, 11:41 AM
any ideas guys on my next purchase for a good, quiet, performing tire that won't break the bank entirely?

Toyo T1R's, or if u wanna go cheap, Sumitomo HTR Z II

vegasVowner
08-14-08, 03:50 PM
I am taking a good look at the Toyo's. As for alignment, they did check it and was spot on. An earlier post said they had about 10,000 mi and no problems, I was in the same boat and pluggin these tires too @ 10,000 mi. Now, I retract those statements and apologize to anyone who pulled the trigger on these. Also like I said before, the manager of this Big O where I went said they pulled the Falken line because of too many problems like mine. Thanks again for the recommendations on future tires guys.

tweak48
08-14-08, 05:56 PM
I guess all the tires you guys are referring to in this thread are non-EMTs (run flats) right??

How has moving to non-EMTs changed the performance of your V if at all? I hear the story about suspension tuned for firmer sidewall etc and how handling gets all messed up if you use non-RFT.

The reason I ask is I just had some Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's installed this morning, after they made me one hell of an adjustment on the factory Eagle F1 Supercars.

vegasVowner
08-14-08, 08:31 PM
I can't really say I know much about the suspension being factory-tuned for the EMTs, but I can say the ride is softer and there is less wheel-hop for me with non-EMTs. But if the suspension is tuned this way, it could explain the problem with my 452's.

OzarksHillbilly
08-14-08, 08:38 PM
Recently replaced the original F1 runflats with a set of non-runflat F1 All-Weather Eagles. Ride definitely is softer, handling isn't as crisp. But so far I consider it a fair trade.

benelliwang
08-14-08, 10:33 PM
Vegas heat is very tough on high performance tires. It really doesn't which high end tires you have, they will eventually become useless after enough heat cycles. To me, tires are just wear items that I buy every year on most of my cars.

The Caddie has Michelin Pilot Sports for the past 6 months and they are good for now, I figure I will replace them in another 6 months.

The vette has Good Year F1 Rossa on the fronts and Nitto Drag Radials on the back. The Nittos only last about 6000-8000 miles for me but they are cheap at $500-$600 for the pair. I am having issues with them hooking up right now, everytime I hit 10lbs if boost they break loose at around 90mph...

The STi has Kumho MX tires and I love them. But they get slick after 12k miles and needs replacement.