: STS to STS-V Brake Conversion

2007STS
08-13-08, 10:16 AM
I've been looking into some Big Brake Kits more so for appearance and increase in stoping power over my stock. Ive looked the STS-V Calipers on GMPartsdirect.com. The cost for STS-V Calipers are $230 and $235 respectully. With STS-V pads and Rotors total investment is ~$1400 for front and rear combined.

What are your thoughts and has anyone done this conversion. Please note that this is for modest street application. Im concerned a 6piston front kit might be too extreme.

Cliff8928
08-13-08, 12:47 PM
It could be done easily enough. It's just calipers/rotors/pads/hubs Do you want to do the 6-lug conversion though?

The CTS-V stuff is identical.

Shameless plug - I have a set of nearly new 20" 6-lug Vogue CV7 with tires for sale.

2007STS
08-13-08, 02:21 PM
Ohh I want aware the STS-V was a 6-lug hub

Cliff8928
08-14-08, 02:27 AM
Ohh I want aware the STS-V was a 6-lug hub

Yeah, so is the SRX and CTS-V (The new CTS-V is 5 though??)

I haven't pursued it much, but you may be able to use a C6 Z06 rotor with your stock hubs with a slight (easy) modification. Or possibly get a set of 2-piece rotors with the 5x115 hat.

blunted
08-14-08, 08:53 AM
Have you considered going to drilled/slotted rotors with some good pads, like Hawk HPS? This past week I just did this upgrade and it looks great and has more than enough stopping power for anything you would do on a street (many people have also run on a track with this setup)... it also cost only $340 in parts. I can take some pic's if you'd like.

jjsocrazy
08-14-08, 06:34 PM
Have you considered going to drilled/slotted rotors with some good pads, like Hawk HPS? This past week I just did this upgrade and it looks great and has more than enough stopping power for anything you would do on a street (many people have also run on a track with this setup)... it also cost only $340 in parts. I can take some pic's if you'd like.

Can you tell me what exactly you bought so I can do this, my brakes always sqweek and I need more stopping power!

Thanks!

Joe

blunted
08-14-08, 09:59 PM
I ordered the drill/slotted from rotorpros.com and had them include the Hawk HPS pads. It was hard to beat the price and the quality was pretty good. This is what they look like.. I orded mine painted silver instead of the black. http://i33.tinypic.com/2n0lk5f.jpg

05STSWOW
08-15-08, 01:39 AM
Next time you buy a new one, order it with the Performance Handling Package. You get Brembo brakes as on STS-V, 18" x 8.5" 7 spoke chrome 6 lug wheels (to clear the rotors), summer-only 255/45ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport tires (no spare, but a pump), and a strut tower brace. It's just a $1,600 option. I tested the stopping power at the YearOne Experience in May and it stopped 60-to-0 in 113 feet.
Now, does anyone know where I can buy replacement pads and rotors (especially drilled rotors) any place but the dealer? I guess I should ask on the STS-V forum.

Cliff8928
08-15-08, 02:11 AM
Those pads aren't anything special. I believe they're the same as a STI, Evo, 350Z, G35, (insert car with brembo caliper here...). They're stocked at Autozone.

Oh, and those wheels are definitely to clear the calipers. They're mighty thick on the outside compared to average.

Dr. Design
08-18-08, 04:14 PM
Thats going to be a lot of work and time to get that conversion to work. We have developed and offer a big brake system build specifically for the STS application.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/IMG_0709.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/IMG_1734.jpg

Braking performance is BETTER than the STS-V combination!!!

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I've been looking into some Big Brake Kits more so for appearance and increase in stoping power over my stock. Ive looked the STS-V Calipers on GMPartsdirect.com. The cost for STS-V Calipers are $230 and $235 respectully. With STS-V pads and Rotors total investment is ~$1400 for front and rear combined.

What are your thoughts and has anyone done this conversion. Please note that this is for modest street application. Im concerned a 6piston front kit might be too extreme.

AllGoNShow
08-31-08, 04:32 PM
By the looks of the big brake system you say you developed, looks an awefully lot like Rotora badging on the calipers. Did you develop it along side rotora?

Dr. Design
09-02-08, 12:19 PM
Hello,
Yes that is correct. We have been helping them develop the full line up of Cadillac applications. From providing them vehicles for fitment to CAD files of the vehicle. Our engineers work together to develop these systems. We even do track testing of the systems throughout the development process.

Please let us know if you have any questions

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

By the looks of the big brake system you say you developed, looks an awefully lot like Rotora badging on the calipers. Did you develop it along side rotora?