: Major Navigation PROBLEM

tonypro
08-13-08, 08:04 AM
I cant figure out the problem. I know my nav disc is good. The car moves on the screen, and I am getting the right streets. I cant enter a destination, it says "voice guidence no available in this area. I know the region is set right. Someone mentioned that the motion sensor may be bad, does anyone know if that is possible. Is that something the dealer has to do, or can I purchase one and istall it. Any input would be apprediated:bonkers:

BarryNS
08-13-08, 12:47 PM
I cant figure out the problem. I know my nav disc is good. The car moves on the screen, and I am getting the right streets. I cant enter a destination, it says "voice guidence no available in this area. I know the region is set right. Someone mentioned that the motion sensor may be bad, does anyone know if that is possible. Is that something the dealer has to do, or can I purchase one and istall it. Any input would be apprediated:bonkers:

It would be easier to help you if you would describe exactly what buttons you push from the time you start the engine to the time you get 'wrong' answers. Also what year and car are we talking about and what version of the NAV Disk are you using? I would wonder why it is giving you 'voice guidance' messages and if you are specifically using voice guidance, is the problem the voice guidance system (common) or the navigation system. In other words, if you just enter destinations without voice guidance, is the system working.

Without doing it myself, or knowing exactly what you are trying to do and what you are doing, it would only be guesswork as to what is happening.

b

tonypro
08-13-08, 02:39 PM
it is a sts 2005 and the disc #15924195U, I got the disc # from gmnavdisc and then bought it online. Step by step: i hit agree at the beginning then the globe to get the map(that works when i am moving) but before I move while in park, i hit route, then enter a destination(either by address or by POI, I've tried both) and on the screen it comes up voice guidence not available in the area. I dont even know what voice guidence is, or how to turn it on or off. But regardless, I can not enter a destination or calculate a route.

dkozloski
08-13-08, 04:40 PM
it is a sts 2005 and the disc #15924195U, I got the disc # from gmnavdisc and then bought it online. Step by step: i hit agree at the beginning then the globe to get the map(that works when i am moving) but before I move while in park, i hit route, then enter a destination(either by address or by POI, I've tried both) and on the screen it comes up voice guidence not available in the area. I dont even know what voice guidence is, or how to turn it on or off. But regardless, I can not enter a destination or calculate a route.
Mine does this to me when I'm out on country roads beyond map coverage.

jgrade
08-13-08, 05:13 PM
Where are you located? Give us a destination so we can try it on our systems to see if it does the same thing. Like dkozloski said, you may be to far out to get proper navigation.

Try changing the volume of the voice to mute or 0 I can't remember which it is, and see if that works. Personally, I never use the voice and just watch the map for turns.

BarryNS
08-14-08, 09:10 AM
...........................................I dont even know what voice guidence is, or how to turn it on or off. But regardless, I can not enter a destination or calculate a route.

That is really weird but as with all electronic and computer equipment, we are smarter than it. I think that the first thing I would try to do is to borrow another copy of the disk from somebody. Assuming that there has been no modification of your NAV system that you don't know about, I would want to rule out as to whether your disk is corrupted. Also, I don't remember but in the 2005 was there one disk or two in the set. The 2008 version for the 2008 STS has 2 disks. If there are two disks in the set, try using the other disk. Also, if you bought the current disk from GM as an update, I can only assume that you already had a earlier version. What happens when you put the original disk back in the player? I can see where it is possible, and even likely, that GM (DENSO) made some modifications to the NAV system after the original version. Therefore, some of the later versions for the 2005 may not work properly. Maybe GM took a calculated risk that this would not be a major problem as they thought that most people would not update their disks often. You might check with the NHTSA or Alldata site to get a history of the fixes to the 2005 STS to see if there was any hardware corrections or firmware corrections to the NAV unit. :mystery:

05STSWOW
08-15-08, 01:09 AM
So just turn off the voice in rhe Config menu and just follow the prompts on the Nav screen. That way nobody tells you what to do. ("Turn LEFT in 200 feet." " I KNOW!") That's how I roll. Seriously, I turn off the voice for me (Fob 1) and leave it on for my wife (Fob 2). She likes the voice help on, but not if it's my voice. Whassup wit dat?
Often when leaving a main feeder road into a complex subdivision in a suburban area, you lose guidance, but you can still see the subdivision streets and the destination waypoint and you just follow the light gray streets. I live in a large metro area and everything is fairly up to date, except my brother's street was not on my '05 disc or my '08 disc. But, hey, he's only lived there for 25 years.

tonypro
08-15-08, 08:08 AM
I dont really care about the voice that much but I cant calculate a route. It doesnt let me enter a destination.

05STSCaddyman
08-18-08, 02:32 PM
My nav is useless. It is missing a boat load of street names and takes an hour to program. My 9yr son programs my garmin in 2 mins. Whats up with that? I'm hoping that my friends '07 disc is better then mine.

tfrost
11-11-08, 10:58 PM
Wondering if Tonypro ever found out what was causing the issues with the nav system? Mine has the EXACT same issues that were explained (can't enter destination, no route calculation, voice guidance not available, etc). I just recently bought this car and trying to learn the nav. at first I thought it was something I was doing wrong until I read this post. I made sure my location setting is correct (I'm in Ohio). I also have an 05 sts.

Any information would be helpful
tfrost

miked
11-11-08, 11:43 PM
I recall a similar problem occurring in the SRX's. The problem, unfortunately, was with the NAV unit itself, and required replacement. Since you have an 05, go to the dealer, as the car should still be under warranty.

Tmcc-V
11-13-08, 10:48 PM
Wondering if Tonypro ever found out what was causing the issues with the nav system? Mine has the EXACT same issues that were explained (can't enter destination, no route calculation, voice guidance not available, etc). I just recently bought this car and trying to learn the nav. at first I thought it was something I was doing wrong until I read this post. I made sure my location setting is correct (I'm in Ohio). I also have an 05 sts.

Have you upgraded the firmware? There is a service bulletin that covers various issues with Nav and Bluetooth:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forum/t-107032.html

Also here is a link to a thread on the forum with instructions on how to check the firmware version to see if you need the update:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/74744-so-all-sts-v-owners-any-3.html

Not every dealer even knows about this so you will need to call and see if they have the software disc needed to update the system (different than the map disc). If not they will have to order it.