: Rear end noise?

mschlott
08-12-08, 05:15 PM
I've had my 05 for about a month. It has had a noise coming from the rear since I bought it. The noise I get sounds like it is coming from the left rear, starting at 50MPH. It's a whawhawha sound that gets fast and louder as I go faster. When I'm driving 80 I can't even have a conversation in the car without yelling.

I took it to the dealer, Crest Cadillac in Plano, and they replaced the right rear wheel bearing. The noise seemed a little quieter but not gone. I took it back yesterday and they replaced the left rear wheel bearing. I just got a call saying that did not fix it, and they are now going to replace the front right wheel bearing, which is on national backorder. So now I can pick the car up and they will call me when they get the part. No ETA on the part.

To those that have had rear end troubles, what sound did you hear? Was it a whining or a low rumbling sound? Mine is making a low rumbling sound that I have fixed on older cars with wheel bearings.

The service writer seems to think that since the wheel bearings are on national backorder that this must be a common problem. I have never heard of it.

Any ideas besides take it to another dealer?

mike

rand49er
08-12-08, 05:23 PM
Somebody else on here had a wheel bearing problem. Not sure who off hand. Maybe Feffman? Pretty rare, though.

Usually any odd sound coming from the rear area is the diff.

mschlott
08-14-08, 11:32 AM
I would have sworn, and apparently multiple service techs would too, that the sound was coming from the rear. As it turns out, it was the front right wheel bearing. The dealer ended up having one in their stock. Now my car is nice and quiet if you can ignore the exhaust.

One thumbs up for Crest fixing this. Sure wanted that 06 diff though.

mike