: V cluster question, need help!!!

stacykathryn
08-12-08, 02:03 PM
Hello! I just swapped a V cluster into my 06 3.6 sport and I am ironing out some issues I have.

One thing I cannot figure out is, when I put the car into drive (I know, I know.. ugh. I couldn't find a 6-speed with the sport package) next to the speed readout on the right DIC a little "M5" appears. And if I shift into sport mode it doesn't change either. If I shift out of drive the M5 goes away.

I looked in the manual and it shows a trip meter there, but nothing about M5.
1) Does anyone know what that could be?
2) How do you use the trip odometer?? Trip A trip B and such?
3) What does the M stand for (see pic below) and the little arrow icon???

Thanks!!

perfect
08-12-08, 02:07 PM
that little "m5" light is actually a special button only present on the "real" V's. It's intended purpose is that when you pull up to a stop light and see a guy in an m5 next to you the car aims the windshield washers nozzles towards his open windows and begins squirting

actually I have no idea, sorry I couldn't have been more help

odla
08-12-08, 02:15 PM
its probably a code that appears when you have a scanner hooked up. your probably never meant to see it.

SkullV
08-12-08, 02:23 PM
Our trip odometer is on our navigation screen...the swap probably was just not meant to be!

stacykathryn
08-12-08, 03:29 PM
Our trip odometer is on our navigation screen...the swap probably was just not meant to be!

Oh, it's meant to be alright.. just need to work a few details out. :)
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a V, or at least a manual trans 3.6 but this suits my needs best right now for the work commute. I could've bought an '05 V for only about 2k more than I bought my '06 sport for but all I do is sit in traffic in Chicago. Yay... performance.

Is there any in-depth explanation online for how the G-force meter works? The manual briefly touches on it but doesn't explain what the <- 9' -> means etc. Is it accurate, and does anyone even use it? It just says:

"Lateral Acceleration
Lateral acceleration is a measure of how hard you are taking a corner. For example, when you are turning right you will feel your body push to the left. This force is measured in a "g". This gage will display from 0.00 g to 1.2 g. The lowest reading means there is no lateral acceleration. The highest reading means the force the driver is feeling is 1.2 times the acceleration due to gravity.

When (B) is pressed and held while the Lateral Acceleration display is being shown, the peak hold values--both tick marks and numbers--will be reset to zero. "

CadzillaTN
08-15-08, 02:10 PM
that stock cluster doesn't look bad?... square peg round hole...you wont' get any of the instrumentation benefits of the V cluster. Does the digi speed even work?...

Go find an 09 cluster...with the tracers. What I want to know is will an 09 cluster retrofit into a 1st Gen V...probably not. clusters are tricky.

stacykathryn
09-09-08, 06:31 PM
Cadzilla-
Actually... with the V cluster in my 3.6 sport, everything works except for engine and transmission oil temperatures, those have to be hardwired in. Since I have Stabilitrak, the G meter works (got up to .78 on an off ramp so far), and so does the digital speed readout. I am going to swap the original cluster back in only because the tapshift no longer works this way and I don't know how to overcome that.

Nothing from an 09 will work in a 1st gen as the 09's are ALL GMLAN now for the network, whereas the 1st gen uses mainly Class 2. They won't talk to each other.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
09-09-08, 10:33 PM
Where you have circled is where the 1-->4 icon pops up for the skip-shift "feature." Is that maybe what you're seeing? Maybe something sets it off since you have an auto instead of manual.

But yeah, make this a popular swap so I can sell my extra cluster. :)

CadzillaTN
09-10-08, 04:14 PM
just not sure what the draw is to have the V cluster in a 3.6. No offense, I know where you're going with the intent, but you just wont get any benefit, and 99.9999999% of the people who see it won't know the difference. I say save your pennies and find an 04 V for about 20K. :)

stacykathryn
09-10-08, 10:00 PM
Cadzilla, I think it's funny when the V people get almost "offended" that us lowly non-V owners DARE install any V parts in our cars. I should be ashamed!!! Believe me, I'm not one of those tacky kids who wants to put V badges on a base CTS or something.

Actually, there is a VERY good reason why I tried the V cluster swap. The TPMS!! I have a 06 3.6 sport with TPMS... which gave the individual tire pressures through the stock radio. Well, I upgraded to the factory navigation and as a result have NO TPMS information. This is why factory navigation is not an option if you have a 3.6 sport with the LSD, 18" wheels and big brake setup... because you don't have the V cluster and the nav unit won't display tire pressures.

So I thought that if I could swap in the V cluster, now I have my TPMS info back, and the nifty speed readout. But the wife doesn't like the fact that the dumb tapshift doesn't work now, so out it comes. :-(

Like I said... I could've bought an 05 V for the same price as our 06 3.6 lux sport but we sit in Chicago traffic all day.. there is no point.

whisler151
09-10-08, 11:47 PM
Like I said... I could've bought an 05 V for the same price as our 06 3.6 lux sport but we sit in Chicago traffic all day.. there is no point.

Hmmm, if that is your reason for not getting the CTS-V why didn't you look at one of its direct competitors like the S4, C55, S Type R? They all have comparable horse power and come in automatic. I had a 2009 CTS for a loaner (nav buttons were flaking) and the 304hp was cool...but nowhere near as much fun as the CTS-V.

Hope you enjoy your V cluster.

CadzillaTN
09-18-08, 09:11 PM
yeah hope it works out too...

Whistler I had the same experience...I had an 09 loaner a cpl months ago and it was nice...and sort of fun~. I had it for 3 days, was worried that I wouldn't like mine as much when I got it back, or it would feel "older". Well when I got it back I was like ahhhhhhhh...the V. I love this thing. Pulled out of the dealer and romped on it and totally forgot about the 09. It was a renewed appreciation, especially for the (stock) stereo which was easily comparable if not better than the 09.

CTSV_Rob
09-19-08, 12:33 AM
that little "m5" light is actually a special button only present on the "real" V's. It's intended purpose is that when you pull up to a stop light and see a guy in an m5 next to you the car aims the windshield washers nozzles towards his open windows and begins squirting

actually I have no idea, sorry I couldn't have been more help
POTD.

Now that was some funny shit.

Sorry but I have nothing really to add. I'm not sure what that M5 light is not sure that I've seen it. But like someone else already said, that is were the 1 -> 4 skip shift light is. I actually forgot about that since I haven't seen it for at least a year :woohoo:

Just out of curiosity, why did the tip tronic stop working? Seems like the cluster should have nothing to do with that.

Seeing those pic's reminds me, I need to modify my spare cluster to get rid of those ugly orange LED's :ack: