: '05 Options Bundled Again. Aaargh!

b4z
06-11-04, 09:52 AM
If you want to order a V6 with the "Performance Package" you will have to buy the very expensive 1SC Package.

Cadillac has done some ala carte ordering on the SRX and CTS. Why not the STS?

Can't get 18" wheels on the V6.

Looks like the wood trim we have seen in all the pics is extra cost!

I ain't paying 47K for a V6 sedan. Not happening.

A sea of black plastic on the center stack for us base V6 guys. I suppose.

Lets get it together Cadillac.

Here are the options:

http://www.carprices.net/find_display/pricing_page.pl/Cadillac/STS/STS_V6_RWD/2005/options.html?STS_V6_RWD=2005&Cadillac=STS

Brett
06-11-04, 12:19 PM
according to the GM's online ordering guide standard for the v6 1sa is: Aluminum Trim Package, premium aluminum trim, includes center stack, console and IP spear molding

for the v6 1sb and the v8 1se standard is: Wood Trim Package, includes real eucalyptus wood on center stack, console and IP molding

for the v6 1sc and the v8 1sf, 1sg standard is:Wood Trim Package, includes real Eucalyptus wood on steering wheel, shifter knob, center stack and console, IP spear molding and door pulls

id like to see that aluminum, to bad it is only on the base v6

b4z
06-11-04, 01:24 PM
That is good to hear that there will be some aluminum.
I would like to see some pics of that.

1SA cars can get an optional wood trim package that does not include wood on the steering wheel, etc.

My point is that I can go buy a CTS and get the auto and the "Sport" package and that's it. The Sport package is a $1875 option.

I can't do it in the STS.

tdogg5184
06-11-04, 04:28 PM
So do i need to have every option to get AWD on my v8?

Brett
06-11-04, 04:42 PM
So do i need to have every option to get AWD on my v8?

yep, looks like awd is only available on the top of the line v8 1sg....cadillac will definitely lose some snow belt customers because of that, lets hope it trickles down to the rest of the line-up. also the awd appears to come with a gas guzzler tax on it

tdogg5184
06-11-04, 05:38 PM
Greeeeeeeat, looks like our new STS will be around 60k. That first package looks reasonable 1sf but dont I like the second one 1sg; I dont want the adaptive cruise control, HUD, and high perfromance steering ratio. Looks like I have no choice, well at least it will be one sweet car and I will get 18" rims.

majax
06-11-04, 06:00 PM
I think that its a rip off i you dont get the wood standard! I dont think these cars will sell.:helpless: This isnt good

And Onstar is optional!! holy cow thats not right:tisk: .

Cadence
06-11-04, 07:56 PM
:rant2:

This is terrible! 47K for a V6 sedan? No wood trim on the base model? And "18 wheels are the standard right now with most luxuary models. Talk about stumbling out the gate! This is like shooting yourself in the foot with a 12 guage shotgun! I've made my mind up......

I'll wait for them to fix their snaffus before buying the STS.

Lutz should go and :hide: in shame.

tdogg5184
06-11-04, 08:54 PM
The 47k is for a decked out v6, thats with the big option package. The v6 without the wood will start at 40k. I am not going to judge yet until i see the final product and prices. But this isnt looking good as of now hopefully its not final.

JDelorean_srx
06-11-04, 09:08 PM
If ya'll can't afford a new cadillac, I'm sure there's a nice malibu waiting for you at your local chevy dealer. :lildevil:

tdogg5184
06-12-04, 03:17 AM
Its not a matter of affording a new cadillac, I can easily afford it. Its just that I dont justify spending my hard earned money on options I wont use or dont want . Granted I am a little upset about the package pricing I will still buy my 60k Cadillac, no need to be a smart ass. Just because someone spends the money does not mean that they want to waste it.

xlr
06-12-04, 05:00 AM
Why not price the car at $5,000 and offer the engine as an option while there at it!

This type of all option pricing kills resale and is a joke. Its like saying your house is $50,000 but the roof is extra

Brett
06-12-04, 10:03 AM
Why not price the car at $5,000 and offer the engine as an option while there at it!

This type of all option pricing kills resale and is a joke. Its like saying your house is $50,000 but the roof is extra

im not sure what you mean....would you like caddy to be like acura with basically every car loaded?

bigdaddycoats
06-12-04, 01:05 PM
I think that its a rip off i you dont get the wood standard! I dont think these cars will sell.:helpless: This isnt good

And Onstar is optional!! holy cow thats not right:tisk: .
Onstar is standard.

xlr
06-12-04, 04:20 PM
What I mean is when every STS comes with an option package then just make the base price that price and make 90% of the options standard. When you buy a $40,000 car and get $15,000 of options you get ZERO back on a trade in on the options.

They didnt price the XLR $50,000 and then have $26,000 of options so dont do it on other cars. Have some confidence in your product and price it like a Cadillac (not a Buick with options)

My gripe is the pricing model kills resale - ever notice that all cadillacs are worth far far far far less than competition in resale?

A CTS which has a base of 30k is worth 25 after 1 year which isnt bad but every cts has $5k of options so if all these options were standard your 35k CTS would be worth 30K at trade after 1 year not 25K!

Nobody gets the base strippo models so stop kidding yourselves at GM that you really have a base of 40K because nobody is getting a base model with no options.

Cadence
06-12-04, 07:08 PM
If ya'll can't afford a new cadillac, I'm sure there's a nice malibu waiting for you at your local chevy dealer. :lildevil:
It's not a matter of affording it, it's the principles that are in place and the direction that they have taken with this car, that makes me want to look the other direction in the showroom. What they need to do is what Saab did a few years ago, make everything standard except for a few things like AWD, Aluminum trim (not everyone is going to want Aluminum trim in thier Caddy), etc....

You can take your Malibu/Impala and shove it. I'll buy a Catera before I buy a Malibu. :want:

b4z
06-13-04, 09:14 AM
Here's the details on the V6s:

Standard; MSRP: $40,995. Expected to account for 10% of V6 sales, 7% of total STS sales. Includes:
- Stabilitrak
-17" painted wheels
- 5 spd auto stick
- Express power windows (all 4)
- 8 way pwr seats
- Leather
- Keyless access with pushbutton start
- Remote start
- Bose w/ CD & 8 speakers
- Only a la carte option is Engine Block Heater

Luxury: MSRP: $43,470. Expected to account or 60% of V6 sales, 42% of total STS sales. Includes above plus:- Memory settings
- 6 disc changer
- Heated front seats
- Rainsense wipers
- Homelink
- XM Radio
-Wood package
- Only options Sunroof ($1200), 17" polished wheels ($600) & engine block heater
TOTAL PAACKAGE PRICE = $2,475

Luxury Performance; MSRP: $49,560. 30% of V6 sales; 21% of total STS sales. Includes all the above plus:
- Bose 5.1 surround sound, DVD & navi
- Rear heated seats & heated steering wheel
- Ventilated seats
- Performance brakes & lmtd slip differential
- Decklid spolier
- Uplevel wood trim
- 17" polished wheels
- Sunroof
- Only option is engine block heater
TOTAL PACKAGE PRICE = $8,565

The V8 started at $46,000 for base and went up to $61,995 for Prestige (which initially will be the only way to get AWD

Anyway, a fully loaded V6 is 50K!!

tdogg5184
06-13-04, 03:12 PM
I think that putting the AWD on the 62k trim is ridiculous, I am in love with this car but the more i think about it the more unreasonable it seems.

b4z
06-13-04, 03:45 PM
tdogg,

You can do what I am going to do.
Vote with my pocketbook.

OPTION A:
Don't buy one, and buy from another manufacturer.

OPTION B:
Buy the base V6 with NO options.
This will keep Cadillac from making additional profit off of Options.
Option margins are huge by the way.
If enough buyers take these 2 options Cadillac will be forced to change, as they did on the 1SC packages for both the CTS and the SRX.

Slick V
06-13-04, 04:05 PM
I think that the wood trim package is going to be the same as the last STS. The wood dash, doors, center counsol were standered, but the wood trim package added a wooden shiftknob and inserts on the steering wheel.

b4z
06-13-04, 05:00 PM
duplicate post deleted.

b4z
06-13-04, 05:01 PM
Slick V,

The base V6 cars get aluminum trim.
There is an optional wood trim package available.
Cadillac has never shown pics of the aluminum trim.
The cars will be at dealers in July so we will see it for ourselves.

tdogg5184
06-13-04, 05:47 PM
Well if they are going to be there that early then it may not be as bad as i think because i am not planning on buying till late fall maybe then they will have the AWD option straightened out. Are you serious it may be as early as july?!

Cadence
06-13-04, 05:48 PM
Things like rain sense wipers, heated seats, 18 wheels, wood trim, those should be standard on every Cadillac. Let me find out that Cadillac won't allow you to have a sunroof on any model of the STS. That should be an option for every trim, not the luxuary performance model alone.

The Bose surround sound system should be standard on all the Cadillac models as well. Do they realize how hard it is to get a radio shop to pull out a bose system in order to get it serviced? I can't seem to get anyone to pull out my head unit in the '92. :annoyed: Every shop I been to balks, as soon as I say Bose and Cadillac in the same sentence! Have they even improved the performace of the system lately? Do they still have the same problems as before? I guess what I'm asking right now is, is it even worth the effort of getting this system any longer?

b4z
06-13-04, 06:54 PM
tdogg,

I heard July on another forum.
Makes sense because '05 CTSs and SRXs are at my dealer here in SC.
As you know, not only are they built at the same plant but on the same assembly line.

As of Friday the 11th 10 more STSs were produced, so that makes a total of
68 built so far.
They should start ramping up production by the end of this month and cars could start arriving at the dealers by the end of July.

The first couple of hundred STSs will probably go to executives to work the bugs out.