: Sunroof question, open fully?

themightymezzo
08-11-08, 07:42 PM
Just a quick question and I'm probably a tard for asking. Just want to make sure this is correct before taking it in for service. When I press my sunroof once to have it open, it automatically goes back and opens...it stops maybe a few inches though from being all the way open. If i press the button again it opens it those last few inches. Is this some kind of setting or is something wrong w/ my sunroof? Can someone check this on theirs and see if theirs does the same?

Thanks for the help.

(I tried the search but most people had issues with it not closing all the way.)

Cliff8928
08-12-08, 03:34 AM
That's how mine works...

Pontus
08-12-08, 08:00 PM
yes they all do this, this to prevent a weird pressure thing that happens at high speeds. if it is open fully the wind will break on the thick wall and make weird pressure fluctuation inside the cabin. this is also the reason that they have that black bar thing with ridges in it pop up and make wind noise when you open the sun roof. it breaks the air and prevents the pressure fluctuation

themightymezzo
08-13-08, 07:34 AM
yes they all do this, this to prevent a weird pressure thing that happens at high speeds. if it is open fully the wind will break on the thick wall and make weird pressure fluctuation inside the cabin. this is also the reason that they have that black bar thing with ridges in it pop up and make wind noise when you open the sun roof. it breaks the air and prevents the pressure fluctuation

Makes sense to me...just wanted to make sure I didn't have some funky problem or something.

bigdog9586
08-13-08, 09:32 AM
I think it is just poor enginieering. My cheap HHR with sunroof opens all the way on first press and at 70 if I hold my hand up there I can NOT feel any wind entering due to the nice design of the thing that pops up to deflect the wind from the cabin. Of course I can also roll down my side windows without getting the wind blowing through my hearing aid and drving me more crazy than I already am. I think Caddy missed the boat on the STs as far as making it a world class car when a cheap 20K car acts better in a lot of things than my STS.

BirdJC
08-13-08, 11:11 AM
Yep thats how mine has worked since day one. Also, have to agree with Bigdog to some extent, with the side windows down the wind does seem to pound the side of your head. I suppose its due to the areodynamics of the car and all but it is annoying for those of us that like to drive with the windows down. But still love the car!!

dkozloski
08-13-08, 12:36 PM
Driving with the windows down is so plebeian.

Lifer
08-13-08, 04:38 PM

That hurts Big Bear. It really hurts.

Does that mean when I fly my DeHavilland Otter DCH-3 U1A with the piolt's window down I'm p... oh it hurts to even say it. :crybaby:

Cliff8928
08-14-08, 03:29 AM

No, pushing the button to lower the windows is. Gotta love the "Windows Down (or up)" voice command :lildevil:

STScaddyman65
08-14-08, 06:55 AM
Trying to build a car with as many options as the STS has with all of the best in the world products and keep the price in the range where it will sell is really tough to do. One thing to be sure of, GM DOES listen to the coustomer feedback and make changes to comply where ever possible. It's hard to be perfect....

Mine does it too....
Jeff