: 05 STS Issues, please help

themightymezzo
08-11-08, 12:29 PM
Hey everyone. I have a problem with my 05 STS V8 RWD Automatic Trans and was hoping someone could shed some light on it either having had similar problems or have any other idea what it may be. I know a fair bit about cars, etc. but this one sort of has me stumped and obviously the dealer I've been taken it to hasn't solved it either.

I purchased the car a few months back...had around 38k miles on it and I also got the certified pre-owned warranty up to like 5 more years and 60k more miles or whatever. I had a few things that were bad pretty much from the start, so I started documenting the things and figured when I got enough together I'd go ahead and take it in. Well leaving work one day I went to start it up and the check engine light was on so I decided then was the time to call. Took it in and they had it for a few days. They ended up fixing, both front headlights do to condensation, rear upper mount tail light, (one led was burnt out), fixed both side marker lights that weren't working, rack and pinion on left side was bad or something so they fixed that. I forget what they said triggered the check engine light but I believe they told me it was an air hose or something impropery connected. One of the main issues I had though was a sort of transmission type sound. This is my main concern.

The car had this sort of humming vibration sound that you could notice when you were going up an incline and barely gave it any gas. It started right around 1300 or so RPMs and would sort of continue as long as you kept the gas pedal constant and engine around 1300. It was more noticeable sitting in the rear seats then in the front. Their solution to this was to replace the rear diff which they did...well after getting the car back it still made this sound. I took it back in for the same issue and went out with one of the techs on a ride. He noticed the sound and told me from what it sounded like he thought it to be a torque converter issue. So left it there for a few more days. They fixed that...gave the car back. I noticed when I got home with the car that the shift indicator was no longer lined up with the correct marks...when in drive it was showing between neutral and drive. So back to the dealer it went...took them a day, said the shift lever wasn't aligned so they did that. That's good now but I've realized it still makes the sound except now the sound is around 1900 RPMs instead. With my wife and mom in the back seat they say it's fairly loud and is definitely noticeable and I can hear it from the front thought not as loud as when you're sitting in the rear.

Also a week or two later I did the remote start...went back inside for about 3 minutes, came back out and the car was off. Remote start wouldn't work so I got in and started it up. Check engine light was on again. So took it back to the dealer and this actually took them a few days...said they were having problems with the codes. What they ended up doing was changing the throttle body out.

The only other thing the car does which isn't normal is when I leave work at the end of the day, as I pull out I make a right turn then a hundred feet and a left turn...usually making the left turn the car seems as though the transmission slips or something and then kicks into gear with a surge type feel. Happens almost every day and usually when I leave work...the rest of the ride home I guess when the car is warm it doesn't seem to have any issue.

So my two issues is the sound around 1900 RPMs and the transmission slipping feeling...to me my first thought is maybe it's the clutch going bad?!?!

It's been a couple weeks since I last got it back from the dealer and I'm not sure where to turn. Should I call and take it back yet again...I feel as though they're gonna get pissed I've brought it so much and just start brushing me off instead of fixing the stuff. What do you guys think? I just want the car to run like it should because even with all the problems I still love the car.

Thanks and sorry for such a long post...just wanted to explain everything in the best detail possible.

C&C
08-11-08, 07:55 PM
Since they no longer have a dipstick for the transmission fluid level you really can't check that yourself anymore. Now this is a total WAG (wild ass guess) but maybe the level is low and is causing the noise and the abruptness you mention. If the level is low enough air can get into the system (especially when turning) and could possibly be the reason for your symptoms.

p.s. the way you need to check the transmission fluid level these days (transmissions without dipsticks) is to remove the 'fill' bolt (while the engine in running) check to see if it is at the top of the bolt hole. Don't try to check the level with the engine off or you'll soon have about 3 quarts of transmission fluid on the floor. What I'm saying here is that now checking this item is a dealer performed service.

themightymezzo
08-11-08, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I actually found this thread while researching similar problems. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/87970-awd-sts4-transmission-software-fix.html
Seems my problems were very similar to these. Now I'm not sure what may have changed mine from the 1200/1300 rpm sound to it being at 1900 rpms but ever since I got the car back it hasn't seemed to shift as smooth anymore.

Anyway I did place a call to the service advisor about 5 minutes ago and I will update this when I hear back from him hopefully tomorrow. I also traced down to GM's website and looked up at the different program codes http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web for my car. If you enter your VIN number you can get a list of codes for your model. Here is a description of the two codes they had down:

Controller: TCM Transmission Control Module

M4455: There are 2 calibration part numbers that are valid for 'Control module'. Read the descriptions from the following tables to determine the correct calibration for this vehicle.
Calibration History for: Control module
Part Number Cal.ID# CVN Bulletin # Description
24232170 24230536 0000391C - New calibration for start of production
24232198 0000E076

Part Number Cal.ID# CVN Bulletin # Description
24239842 24230536 0000391C - To be used ONLY for customer complaint of low speed chuggle under light throttle input while going up slight grades.
24239896 00005117

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds to be my exact problem in the first place...hopefully with the new torque converter I had installed and this new code it may solve my problem.

I'm just hoping the dealer doesn't call back and "say" they used the more recent code. If they do this what should my next step be?

themightymezzo
08-12-08, 04:34 PM
Well received a call back today from the service advisor. It's strange every time I speak to him it's like he's never spoke to me before and I have to fully explain the situation. Anyway I'm taking it in Friday morning. Will keep you all up to date.

sts50
08-14-08, 04:59 PM
Sorry to hear you are having such difficulties with your STS. Like you I have had many difficulties with the car and I too despite it's short comings love driving the car....when it works. Ask your dealer to get you a repair history on the car. I found out that mine had 7 pages of major repairs. I'd like to think I have a new car since almost everything major in it has been replace, sometimes twice! Good luck.

themightymezzo
08-18-08, 05:39 PM
Sorry to hear you are having such difficulties with your STS. Like you I have had many difficulties with the car and I too despite it's short comings love driving the car....when it works. Ask your dealer to get you a repair history on the car. I found out that mine had 7 pages of major repairs. I'd like to think I have a new car since almost everything major in it has been replace, sometimes twice! Good luck.

Thanks man. I may do just that. I took it for a test drive with one of the mechanics. Said it was still the torque converter. I dropped it off this morning and they should be working on it. Haven't heard anything as of yet.

Yeah everyone looks at me like I'm nuts with all the problems I've had...but I love the car. Would just like to enjoy it for more then a few weeks without any problems. Oh well after this hopefully everything will be good for a very long time.

And hopefully my floor mats will be here around the time I get the car back.

porkfarm
08-18-08, 05:54 PM
They should have checked the fluid level after the tq converter change, but it is a major PITA. If the fluid was low, you might hear a weird growl, kind of like the sound a cat make before it get's into a fight with something. I also have an 05 and wanted that service bullet for my tranny, but was told.. Nope.. no updates for your car... Next time I will go in with SB number in hand.

Let us know if it fixes your problem.

themightymezzo
08-25-08, 12:36 PM
Got a call last Wednesday or Thursday stating the car was ready and I would be pleasantly surprised at how much better it is. He said in the message they added a counterweight to one of the exhausts as well as updated the TCM code. Went to pick up the car that night with my wife. Had her sit in the back seat on a portion of the ride home since this is where the sound is most audible. I could immediately tell when pulling out that the car drove a lot better. It seemed to drive like it did when I test drove it. Smoother shifting, no surging when driving. Only problem is the sound is still there and maybe a bit quieter but still very noticeable. It's still around the 18-1900 RPM range. I called back that night left the guy a message telling him I'm still having the problem and I was going to give it a week or two and maybe somehow it will magicly go away. If not I'd touch base with him. He called me back the next day left a message saying that when I'm ready give him a call and we'll set up a date to bring it back in. He said that no matter what it is they will find out and get rid of it. So the saga continues although at least the car is driving better minus the 18-1900R RPM sound.

On a side note I think my start button is starting to peel and the backing on my driver side mirror (the lid the folds up when you open the mirror) seems to be coming off so maybe I'll get them to fix those on my next trip in. They have this $300.00 "presidentail detailing" they offer and I'm thinking about seeing if I can get that thrown in for free considering all the problems I've been facing. I guess time will tell.

themightymezzo
08-25-08, 12:45 PM
And also notice now that every morning leaving for work the brakes squeak. Just for the first few times using them backing out of the drive way. It goes away for the most part after I drive a bit but I think I've still heard it a few times maybe in a drive-thru, etc. I've maybe put 3k miles on the car since I've had it and I dont' ride the breaks either. Guess I'll mention this to them too. I know pads aren't covered under the warranty but I'd think I should've gotten more than 3k miles outof them. :annoyed:

MARKVIII
08-25-08, 02:40 PM
I said this many times in the past but it's worth repeating. This car is so overpriced for what you get its not even funny. Anyone who bought this car retail (even with the deep discounts, sometimes up to 10k off sticker) made a big mistake. In my opinion this car should top out at 48-52k with all options. When you compare the tecnology of the STS to infinity 'M' class, BMW 5 series, Mercedes 'E' class it falls on its face. I think we were all suckered into believing this was a world class luxery automobile. This care should be in the Near Luxery Segment like lincoln's and Lexus 330.

jono6406
08-25-08, 07:29 PM
HEY MARK, I BEG THE DIFFERENCE. The STS is a world class car and I'm sure that it's worth every penny paid but If you think it is not worth it then SELL yours and stop crying !!!!!
Jono

themightymezzo
09-25-08, 01:18 PM
Actually still having problems with the transmission. A few weeks ago I received a card with a business card in it from the dealer. I believe the ladies title was customer agent or relations...something to that effect. If I still have problems after taking it in here again I am going to have to call her.

I've put up with a lot as far as the car goes. It's become more of a burden taking the car in every other week or so since I've had it. I love the car, but damn fix the problem for a change. I understand it's not totally the mechanics fault, etc. but this situation has to be resolved.

I've had enough!

lreddiablo
09-25-08, 05:36 PM
I somewhat agree with Mark, although I love my STS. It is way overdue for a tech upgrade, but not expecting anything much from GM. And I would never buy this car new with that price, got mine with 18k miles at 50% sticker. At that price it was a great value for a great car, even if some features are 4 years old.

pjbizjak
09-25-08, 06:44 PM
I would have them check the rear differential again. It could be that when they aligned the ring and pinion it wasn't done properly which would cause the noise you have been hearing.

ruf455
09-25-08, 09:28 PM
My car has the same exact problem. 1300 slight pull up a hill at any speed....brrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm.... yep, spot on what mine is doing. They said it was a wheel, I said they were morons. Taking it back. My converter IS chattering now when it shifts at low speeds...

themightymezzo
11-24-08, 10:24 PM
Sorry to beat a dead dog but have been busy so not able to post. I'm still having an unforseen amount of problems with the car. They basically gave up on fixing the transmission noise...told me it was the best they would get it. They added more counterweights on the exhaust (now both sides instead of just one) and it's actually a quieter sound now. I don't notice it much anymore but it could be that I'm used to it. Now I have some kind of leak...I think it's trans fluid...hard to tell surprisingly. It has a reddish tint but more of an oil (brownish) look to it. Seems too "watery" to be oil in my opinion though. Also the check engine light just came on again Saturday. Dropped it off today after work. We'll see what they tell me this time. I also get a very hard shift every once in a while when I first take the car for a ride. I'd say maybe from 3rd into 4th. Doesn't matter if I'm accelerating slow or fast. Seems though with the cooler weather now I haven't noticed it as much or it could be I'm letting the car warm up more before taking it out.

Plus all the recent hype about GM going down the tubes...now I'll probably really stuck with a POS and may not even have a warranty anymore to cover repairs.

Talk about crappy luck!

themightymezzo
11-24-08, 10:28 PM
On another side note when I changed the oil it did look like there was fluid around the seal on trans and also around some of the bolts. I snugged them up just a tad bit...some seemed fairly loose. Still getting a lot of "stains" on the driveway. One day it was a ridiculous size...as big as a basketball.

I guess one thing that's somewhat comical is...not to boast or anything but I probably have one of the nicer/more expensive cars in my work parking lot and my spot is really the only one with any stains under it. :eek:

themightymezzo
12-23-08, 03:28 PM
They had fixed the leak...said it was some kind of defect with the timing cover.

A few weeks since I've had it back and check engine light came on...back to the shop we go.

Now I'm considering trading it in...but not sure if I should risk getting another 05 STS or something totally different.

Tommy Deville
12-26-08, 02:49 AM
Change the battery, sloved all my code & idiot light issues.

ruf455
12-26-08, 08:23 AM
I had my dealer look at the very same vibration issue that you are having. They found a TSB related to the symptoms, reflashed it and my car does not have any more issues, asside from hosed and worn rotors (my fault)

STS guy
01-14-09, 03:57 PM
I took my 2006 STS V8 in yesterday for the third time. It is making the same sound as others have described (growling at 1300-1600 rpm). Dealer says it needs a new torque converter and they will be doing that in a few days. On the first viosit they said the tansmission control module had to be reprogrammed. They did that and it helped for a short time. Tookj it back a second tome for the same thing. This time thay said they could not duplicate the prblem. I let it go for a couple of months thinking maybe it would get worse or would fail completely. This last time they said I need a new torque converter. What do you guys think my odds are on getting it fixed with that?

STS guy

shudog
01-14-09, 04:17 PM
Mezzo - what do you drive when you continually have your car at the dealership for repairs? Do they give you a loaner? If so, what is it?

STS guy
01-16-09, 09:55 AM
From STS guy,

They give me a rental car from Enterprise. This time it is a Buick Lacrosse.

Tommy Deville
01-16-09, 11:18 AM
How do you like the Buick?

I had one from Enterprise, no N*, it was a pretty decent car.

STS guy
01-18-09, 10:24 AM
Yes, it is an okay car. Not as much fun to drive as the STS, Of course, being a rental, it is a rather plain Jane, vanilla type car. Dealer called yesterday and said the STS will be ready on Monday (1/19). The very first thing I am going to do is cruise at about 45 mph with a light load on the engine. If it still growls - I will move up to the next level with a scathing letter to Cadillac Headquarters.

STS guy

STS guy
01-19-09, 04:24 PM
Picked the STS up today about 2 pm. Did not hear sound on the trip home. Once I got home I remembered that I left the garage door opener in the loaner car. Immediatelyy went back to dealership to get it. The service manger nearly had a heart attack when he saw me drive up. He thought I was back again for the same problem. Anyway - so far so good - after about 15 miles.

STS guy

STS guy
01-22-09, 03:50 PM
Made a 100 mile round trip yesterday at interstate speed. No noise from torque converter. At one point an 18 wheeler was giving me grief - so I kicked it up to 90 mph. It ran great and I did not see the 18 wheeler jerk after that. I love this car.

themightymezzo
01-28-09, 05:15 PM
I took my 2006 STS V8 in yesterday for the third time. It is making the same sound as others have described (growling at 1300-1600 rpm). Dealer says it needs a new torque converter and they will be doing that in a few days. On the first viosit they said the tansmission control module had to be reprogrammed. They did that and it helped for a short time. Tookj it back a second tome for the same thing. This time thay said they could not duplicate the prblem. I let it go for a couple of months thinking maybe it would get worse or would fail completely. This last time they said I need a new torque converter. What do you guys think my odds are on getting it fixed with that?

STS guy

Their first act they did was to change my rear diff. They did that, no help. Then did torque converter. Seemed to help but I would get a wicked shift every so often and instead of a sound at 1200 or so RPM it was at like 1900RPM now. The final thing they did was add more counterweights to the exhaust and the noise has pretty much gone away. I am getting rough shifts every so often still. Now though it's falling back into the problem of the low RPM "chuggle". They had also done my TCM code after I suggested they try that. Helped for a bit but now it's going bad again. I'm just gonna keep milking the warranty.

themightymezzo
01-28-09, 05:21 PM
Mezzo - what do you drive when you continually have your car at the dealership for repairs? Do they give you a loaner? If so, what is it?

Yeah they give me a loaner. Actually I try to get a different one each time I go. The Enterprise guy there tells me I'm a "frequent flyer". LOL. Their service is exceptional. I have had 0 problems with them as opposed to other Enterprise places I've been to. My favorite one they rent is the DTS. I've gotten an H3, SRX, CTS, Chevy Truck, DTS. I've had the DTS 3 times and the SRX twice. Each time though it's tough getting used to having to keep my key out to start the car. :bouncy:

rb92gt
01-28-09, 08:31 PM
Huh, I wish I would get something other than the CTS when my STS is in for warranty work. An H3 and a DTS would be fun. I recently had the check engine light come on and the dealer had to replace the entire PCM. Another CTS loaner for me. This time, had the 3.6DI though which is an improvement from the regular 3.6.

Regulator
01-28-09, 09:41 PM
I love the fact that people go out of their way to try to get the car to do the low RPM chug. Why not step on the gas a little bit and upshift?

STS guy
01-30-09, 10:29 AM
I don't think a car that retails for 50 grand should do the low rpm chug. I kept doing it so the dealer would do something. So far, replacing the torque converter has done it. I did want to pay for a new torque converter - so I was willing to "go to wall" with the dealer to get it replaced. I have owned MUCH, MUCH less expensive cars and none of them ever did the low rpm chug. It was unacceptable.

STS guy

dhemrick
01-30-09, 03:20 PM
Regarding the low RPM chug, for what it's worth we just recently had a very similar problem on our STS4. It turned out that one of the catalytic converters had failed and was causing a lot of back pressure on the engine. This was causing the engine to have a lot less power, particularly at low RPMs, and was also resulting in poor gas mileage and weird shift patterns with the transmission.

The catalytic converter was replaced under warranty and the problem went away.

STS guy
02-03-09, 09:47 AM
Why don't you guys like the CTS? Is it too small or what?

STS guy

Tommy Deville
02-03-09, 11:23 AM
Too small
The Interior isn't the nicest & it feels kind of cheap & flimsy.

BaTu
02-03-09, 12:04 PM
Missing All the good "toys". And let's face it, the CTS guys don't want to admit it but, the "C" stands for cheap ;) (unless, of course, we're talking the CTS-V's. Now they're going for real performance and I can respect that.... )

themightymezzo
02-09-09, 05:46 PM
Huh, I wish I would get something other than the CTS when my STS is in for warranty work. An H3 and a DTS would be fun. I recently had the check engine light come on and the dealer had to replace the entire PCM. Another CTS loaner for me. This time, had the 3.6DI though which is an improvement from the regular 3.6.

Yeah I really didn't like the CTS at all. Was nice that it was smaller but I much prefered my 05 over it. The DTS is just so relaxing. Makes me want to take a nap. :yawn:

themightymezzo
02-09-09, 05:49 PM
Regarding the low RPM chug, for what it's worth we just recently had a very similar problem on our STS4. It turned out that one of the catalytic converters had failed and was causing a lot of back pressure on the engine. This was causing the engine to have a lot less power, particularly at low RPMs, and was also resulting in poor gas mileage and weird shift patterns with the transmission.

The catalytic converter was replaced under warranty and the problem went away.

You just shed some new light into this situation. Thanks.

I'll see if they've heard anything the next time I take mine in.

themightymezzo
02-09-09, 05:50 PM
My car is still leaking. Guess it's definitely the transmission. Gonna just keep driving and see what turns out I guess. :thepan:

Have a big trip to KY coming up...hope she holds up ok.

allante92
02-13-09, 11:56 AM
Bought a 2005 certified with 25,000 miles from a well known New England Dealer. Vehicle was a 1 owner, they gave me copies of all the records, like me the previous owner always serviced the car at the dealership and always kept up on oil changes.

Had numerous issues with the front door handles not unlocking/opening with the key fob. A few other minor issues, etc.

At 36,000 miles not even a year after I bought it the engine failed. I was told a valve let go dropped onto the piston and caused all sorts of damage.

Got the vehicle back after a week and was back into the shop, power steering pump failure. Shifter also had to be aligned at this time as the letters did not line up.

So far a major disappointment. Never had all this trouble with my 1998 Sevile SLS should have never traded it in.

Nice car when it runs right but this is few and far between.

STS guy
02-16-09, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=themightymezzo;1762628]My car is still leaking. Guess it's definitely the transmission. Gonna just keep driving and see what turns out I guess. :thepan:

Have a big trip to KY coming up...hope she holds up ok.[/QUOTE

STS guy
02-16-09, 10:14 PM
Good Luck. I drove mine from Virginia to Panama City Beach. It ran beautifully. Then drove from PCB to St. Augustine. Ran beautifully again. Stopped at Hampton Inn and tried to get luggage out of trunk. Trunk remoter would not work. Remote door locks would not work. Had On Star send out a service truck. He tried to jump start it. Nothing, Na Da, Zero. Having it towed to Caddy dealer in the am.

Will keep you advised.

STS Guy

Thinking seriously about a Toyota Avalon.

STS guy
02-17-09, 07:19 PM
Hauled STS to Caddy dealership. Car started as they took it off the roll-back truck. They ran all kinds of tests and could find nothing wrong. No codes or anything. Showed me where to put fob in center console to activate if it happens again. They did not have do that to get it started. It started normally. So if you guys encounter that problem - put the fob in the center consloe behind the 12 volt outlet. Might help, then again it might not. Anyway it can't hurt.

Good luck on you KY trip mighty mezzo.

STS guy

RFallstich
02-17-09, 09:22 PM
I had some similar issues with my 2005 STS. I bought it when it was about 6 months old with 5K miles, got it pre-owned certified. It now has about 40K miles on it. I had the same buzz/rumbling noise between 1500 and 2000 RPM. At first the dealer reprogrammed the shift points, but that really didnít help. After I went back again, they replaced the torque converter and the noise has been gone since. This had TSB #02-07-30-013E - Incorrect Transmission Shifts, Poor Engine Performance, Harsh 1-2 Upshifts, Slips 1st and Reverse, Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Stuck Off/On, DTCs P0757, P0741, P0742, P0730, P0756 - (May 20, 2005)

I also had the oil leak problem; it was the front timing cover. It was replaced and no leak since, about 2 years now. This had TSB #05-06-01-015 - Engine Oil Leak from Front of Vehicle (Replace Engine Front Cover and/or Gasket) - (May 13, 2005) I did not have a transmission leak, but there is also a TSB for this: #01-07-30-032B- Transmission Oil Leaking From Transmission Vent (Replace Transmission Case Cover Gasket/ Channel Plate Gasket) - (Nov 18, 2004)

I hope they get things straightened out for you - the car is fun to drive. Now my STS has not had any problems/repairs for over 2 years. Itís great when thereís no service issues and you donít have to worry about repairs a lot.

STS guy
02-18-09, 09:21 AM
To RFallstich

Thanks for the info. You have boosted my confidence in the STS. Maybe I can reach the point of going 2 years without any more issues.

STS guy

STS guy
05-01-09, 09:48 AM
Power lumbar support on driver's side went out recently. Took it to dealer and they have ordered a part for it.

STS guy

STS guy
05-05-09, 01:28 PM
Power lumbar supported replaced this morning (May 5) at no cost. Work took about 1-1/2 hours. Works fine now.

STS Guy

themightymezzo
06-15-09, 07:17 PM
I think my lumbar is going out too. Seemed it wasn't working the other night. I'll have to try it again.

Still having torque converter problems. Although last time I took it in they fixed the leak which is good. Once again they misaligned the gear shift with the letters...2nd time they did that. I'm not taking it back in yet. Gonna keep driving it till the noise gets loud enough again then take it back.

southsider
06-17-09, 08:31 PM
My mid life crisis was over, so I just traded my 05 STS V8 for an 09 DTS. Had 41K on the STS. Yeah, I went through a torque converter and differential too (grumble noise from the TC at 35 mph, whine from the diff below 40 mph), but other than 2 fault codes I remember, mine was trouble free. If the dealer wasn't so anxious to move a DTS of the lot, I would still have the STS. Car was a blast to drive!!

z06bigbird
06-18-09, 01:22 AM
HEY MARK, I BEG THE DIFFERENCE. The STS is a world class car and I'm sure that it's worth every penny paid but If you think it is not worth it then SELL yours and stop crying !!!!!
Jono

Totally agree with Jono. This is one fine car.

I wonder if the OP's vibration is an exhaust pipe grounding out (rubbing against metal) somewhere under the car. I have seen that many times on many cars.

Note to OP. Before you see your service advisor again, sit with service mgr. Take him a big starbucks, etc. Simply ask for his input/help. If he is unresponsive, go to another Caddy dealer. Most service mgrs that I know are exceptionally good.

themightymezzo
06-18-09, 08:29 AM
Well they say that's where the humming noise actually is. It's not the torque converter itself making the "humming" sound it's the torque converter vibrations traveling through the exhaust system. That's why you can hear it in the rear of the car. Their solution for this is installing counterweights on the pipes. I have them on both of mine to minimize the sound. It does help and you can't hear it much at all from the front but in the rear seats you can notice it more.

I drive it till it gets worse than bring it back in and they fix it again. I'm starting to think maybe it's something else causing the torque converter to go bad. I believe this is the third one they've put in my car and I still get the problem after having the car back within the first 1000 miles. It rides so sweet once I get it back though. I'm thinking it must be another component causing the converter to go out though. I can't see what else would cause it?

Even with all the problems I love my STS. Wish I would've gotten all the options with it but I'm still very happy.

And I can't complain about the service. They're all friendly and professional and treat me well even w/ the warranty and the fact knowing they won't make any money off me.

STS guy
06-19-09, 10:24 AM
I am beginning to think GM got a load of torque converters that were defective or the TC they put in the STS is not sturdy enough to handle the horsepower that the STS cranks out.

STS guy

next2pool
06-19-09, 01:08 PM
Years ago the torque converter clutch was on or off. Now they pulse the clutch to allow varying amounts of slip so that they can start to engage it at lower speeds. This has been an ongoing problem for quite a while since it is very sensitive to build variation, fluid, temperature, etc.

themightymezzo
06-22-09, 11:45 AM
I'm not quite sure entirely how the torque converter works but I'm strongly thinking next time I take it in they need to try to figure out what might be making it go bad. I can't see them having replaced the first one with two more faulty torque converters. It also appears nobody else has had the ongoing problems I have. Seems a couple times then it's been fixed.

I'll probably be bringing it in within the next few weeks.

STS guy
06-23-09, 01:50 PM
How are the running lights on the STS supposed to work? 9 times out 10 the headlights come on and stay on while I am driving. Once in a while (1 out of 10) the amber parking lights will come on and stay on while driving. Initially I thought if it was a bright sunny day, the parking lights would come on. That doesn't seem to make any difference. I leave the lights on automatic all the time. Does anyone know what is normal???
Also has anyone replaced the wiper blades? They put a special one of a kind connector on the wiper blade and arm. That makes them hard to find and EXPENSIVE. I call that a chicken shit way to suck more $ out of us.
STS guy

dkozloski
06-23-09, 03:29 PM
How are the running lights on the STS supposed to work? 9 times out 10 the headlights come on and stay on while I am driving. Once in a while (1 out of 10) the amber parking lights will come on and stay on while driving. Initially I thought if it was a bright sunny day, the parking lights would come on. That doesn't seem to make any difference. I leave the lights on automatic all the time. Does anyone know what is normal???
Also has anyone replaced the wiper blades? They put a special one of a kind connector on the wiper blade and arm. That makes them hard to find and EXPENSIVE. I call that a chicken shit way to suck more $ out of us.
STS guy
You've got the rainsense wipers clicked to the first notch. Turn them off and the DRL's will work as well as the auto lights.

WillySTS
06-23-09, 04:24 PM
STS guy

9 times out of 10 says that your wipers are still on...like Binky Bear says.

No, I haven't replaced my wipers, going on 3 years now. I think they are much better wipers. Isn't that one of the small things you buy a fine automobile for?:thepan:

STS guy
06-24-09, 08:24 PM
Okay guys thanks for the running light answer. Now that I think back to when it happens, I am certain you are right.

I still think $33.50 for one wiper is a rip.

STS guy

deucedude2003
06-24-09, 09:04 PM
I just picked up a set for my 2006 STS4 at Walmart for like 13$ a piece, they were Michelin wiper blades.
Cheers!

STS guy
06-25-09, 07:56 AM
Wal Mart here I come.

STS guy

WillySTS
06-25-09, 01:04 PM
Okay guys thanks for the running light answer. Now that I think back to when it happens, I am certain you are right.

I still think $33.50 for one wiper is a rip.

STS guy
You are right, but that's even the same price as our regular wipers as well,(I work at a dealer) STS wipers are no more expensive. You can get them for around $15.00 just like any other wipers at the cheaper places.

STS guy
06-26-09, 09:27 AM
Checked out the running light question and you guys were right. Ya think maybe I should read the owners manual ....duh.

STS guy

Number 3
06-26-09, 11:30 AM
The new rainx blades will fit our vehicles

KARL DAHLEN
06-26-09, 11:59 AM
Check Amazon: Valeo 900-21-9B Ultimate Wiper Blade - 21"
Sold by: quickshipautoparts (seller profile)
Valeo 900-22-8B Ultimate Wiper Blade - 22"
Sold by: quickshipautoparts (seller profile)

$33.06 for pair including shipping. Best blades you can buy at any price!

EChas3
07-02-09, 10:04 PM
Funny, I park near two BMW 5xx at work (Boss & Contemporary). Both use the same wipers as my STS!

STS guy
08-17-09, 09:58 AM
Just returned from a 1400 mile round trip to northern Michigan. STS ran flawlessly. We were loaded with 4 passengers and a ton of luggage. Got 25.4 miles per gallon on entire trip. Just before the trip, I installed Michelin wiper blades from Wal Mart - they worked like a charm. Don't EVER buy blades from Car Quest. Their best blades suck. They are arched too much and leave spots of water in the middle of the blades - right in your field of vision.

STS guy

STS guy
08-18-09, 10:44 AM
P.S. I forgot to thank Duecedude 2003 for the tip on Michelin blades at Wal Mart. Thanks for a good lead on those blades - they are GREAT.

K STS
08-18-09, 01:22 PM
Holy shit is amazing shipping fast. I got my Bosch blades today, $22 shipped. Wow cant beat that. Going to install them now.