: What Anti-Freeze

jeffrsmith
08-09-08, 09:00 PM
I have my heads back on and hopefully will get the timing chains back on this weekend. I discovered that the heater hoses are pretty well gone so I have ordered new ones. Blue Eldo was over a couple of days ago and noticed that my brake pads are pretty well shot - got new ones ready to put on when I get it back together.

One question, I have been to Autozone, Advanced, Napa, and a local independent - no one has Dex on their shelves - they have a Prestone product that supposedly is ok with anything you mix it with - really? Can I use this stuff and be ok? Just looking for advice - I am looking for Dex since that is what the car originally had.

If I use the universal stuff, what sort of service interval should I shift to?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

BIG ERN
08-09-08, 09:59 PM
you can buy dex at wal mart

JimD
08-09-08, 10:05 PM
....One question, I have been to Autozone, Advanced, Napa, and a local independent - no one has Dex on their shelves - they have a Prestone product that supposedly is ok with anything you mix it with - really? Can I use this stuff and be ok? Just looking for advice - I am looking for Dex since that is what the car originally had.
Add Wal*Mart to your search. If you find a product branded by Chevron or Prestone or Shell or Valvoline and it says Dex-Cool on the container, you have the proper coolant.

The Dex-Cool term can only be used by folks licensed/authorized by GM.

You are in uncharted waters here.

dkozloski
08-09-08, 10:08 PM
I have my heads back on and hopefully will get the timing chains back on this weekend. I discovered that the heater hoses are pretty well gone so I have ordered new ones. Blue Eldo was over a couple of days ago and noticed that my brake pads are pretty well shot - got new ones ready to put on when I get it back together.

One question, I have been to Autozone, Advanced, Napa, and a local independent - no one has Dex on their shelves - they have a Prestone product that supposedly is ok with anything you mix it with - really? Can I use this stuff and be ok? Just looking for advice - I am looking for Dex since that is what the car originally had.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Go to NAPA and ask for HAV03695 for Haviline Dex-Cool by the gallon jug.