: Help - Replace Cabin Filter

Number 3
08-09-08, 05:51 PM
I own a 05 v6 sts and I wanted to change out my cabin filter. Personally, I don't even know where to look?? Can someone help me out with a how to?? Thanks!

porkfarm
08-10-08, 05:45 AM
under the hood, pass side on the firewall. Remove plastic cover under windscreen. Tight fit as I recall.

Number 3
08-10-08, 11:37 AM
Well I guess thats a start, I will check. Thanks! Does anyone else have any input?

justgreat
08-10-08, 08:44 PM
i just changed mine about a month ago. the owner's manual has all the info you need. it's not the most comfortable postion for your back, mine was sore for a day afterwards, but part of that was my error; i spent 45 mins before i realized that i had the filter sideways.

you lift off the rubber gasket on the left side of the engine compartment, just forward of the w/wipers. there's three screws to remove, lift off the plastic cover. under that cover is the plastic cover that sits on top of the filter housing, note the side of the filter housing cover that faces the front of the vehicle. remove the filter and either replace it with a new one or you can clean the existing filter, if you don't have a replacement, with compressed air or a vacuum cleaner with a soft hair attachment to get into the pleats. put the cover back on and then the plastic outer cover with the screws and then the gasket.

jackg
06 sts6

ewill3rd
08-11-08, 07:02 AM
The tricky part is getting it into the "groove".
Take your time and make sure it is sitting in there properly.

themightymezzo
08-11-08, 07:58 AM
How often is this recommended to be replaced? Bought mine used and it now has about 42,000 miles on it. Is this something I should consider changing?

And sorry for threadjacking.

ewill3rd
08-11-08, 08:21 AM
I think the recommended interval is once a year or every 12,000 to 15,000 miles?

Number 3
08-12-08, 07:04 PM
I will try it this weekend. Thanks!

ewill3rd
08-12-08, 08:30 PM
Be glad it isn't an early '00 era Seville... Oh man!!

Superjim
08-12-08, 09:54 PM
Be glad it isn't an early '00 era Seville... Oh man!!

Are you talking about the 3 piece filter ... up under the dash?
Don't even want to think about replacing another one of those.

Texas Jim

ewill3rd
08-13-08, 06:39 AM
Yep, that is the one.
I used to have a saying that I used....

"I'd like to meet the engineer that designed that and shake his hand, and punch him right in the face with the other one..." :lol:

Yeah, I know, not very nice... and a joke but... sometimes you wonder.

MARKVIII
08-13-08, 09:09 AM
my dealer wants $120.00 to replace this filter..is it REALLY necessary to replace this? my car is 2 1/2 yrs. old and has 35k miles on it. i would rather put the money into a wheel alignment then a filter.
thanks

Superjim
08-13-08, 09:23 AM
my dealer wants $120.00 to replace this filter..is it REALLY necessary to replace this? my car is 2 1/2 yrs. old and has 35k miles on it. i would rather put the money into a wheel alignment then a filter.
thanks

It could probably use replacement... but you can do it yourself for 20/25 bucks.
It is located in the cowl ... right under the passengers side windshield wiper.

Take your time and make sure you line it up in the grooves when replacing.

Pontus
08-13-08, 03:43 PM
does it make a big difference when you change it?

MARKVIII
08-13-08, 04:03 PM
good question..!!

dkozloski
08-13-08, 04:37 PM
good question..!!
It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that it would make sense to change the filter when it becomes too dirty to operate efficiently.

Superjim
08-13-08, 07:54 PM
What koz said.

If it is dirty... it ain't working as designed.

Texas Jim

Number 3
08-14-08, 06:58 PM
It like a household ac filter. Just keeps the cabin air clean.

justgreat
08-15-08, 09:02 AM
to ensure that the filter is inthe track, you need to get up and look down the filter housing, a bit of a stretch...or you can use a mirror and a flash light to make sure thefilter is positioned correctly...

jackg
06 sts6

Number 3
08-16-08, 10:33 AM
it worked!

edsandra
11-15-08, 12:49 PM
Just changed my cabin filter. The hard part is getting the new filter to fit into the housing. It feels like you are going to damage the filter as you slide it downward due to the tight clearance. I compressed the bottom of the filter enough to fit into the housing and slanted the bottom toward the firewall as I slid the filter dowanward.

Not sure about the "groove". The new filter does not seem to be locked in place meaning I can wiggle it around a bit in its housing. Wish I had tried wiggling the old filter before I removed it. If anyone replaces an original filter please let me know if you can wiggle it around in its houseing before you remove it.

I was able to buy two OEM filters on ebay for $30 which included shipping.