: Navigation is working with no subscription

thewood
08-08-08, 11:29 PM
I purchased a 2007 STS a little over 2 months ago. It has the navagation DVD system installed. Since I had it the navigation has worked flawlessly. I haven't had to purchase access to a GPS system or on star. The GPS is interacting with the DVD just fine. So, excuse my ignorance but why is it working if I didn't pay a service provider to have it turned on?

The_Judge
08-08-08, 11:45 PM
The previous owner probably pre-paid several months in advance, and you're still within that period.

Maximln
08-09-08, 12:19 AM
The factory navigation system is a self contained system. As long as you have the DVD, you do not have to pay any fees or service. The only monthly fee that you may have is for XM radio or for Onstar if you choose to subscribe to either one. Onstar has a directions & connections package that can send routing directions to your car if it is not contained on the DVD. The drawback to the factory DVD navigation is that the information on the DVD is only good as it was when it was produced, probably about 3 years old now. Onstar updates their database monthly so they always have more current information than any DVD. I'm not sure if the 07 models included navigation updates. If not, you can purchase annual updated discs.

Max

dkozloski
08-09-08, 12:22 AM
I purchased a 2007 STS a little over 2 months ago. It has the navagation DVD system installed. Since I had it the navigation has worked flawlessly. I haven't had to purchase access to a GPS system or on star. The GPS is interacting with the DVD just fine. So, excuse my ignorance but why is it working if I didn't pay a service provider to have it turned on?
There is no connection whatever between NAV and OnStar. NAV uses GPS signals provided by the U.S. Government. OnStar uses cell phone technology that you have to pay for. OnStar also has its own GPS receiver that is entirely separate from the NAV systems receiver. The systems share some audio features but neither will disable the other.

rb92gt
08-09-08, 01:12 AM
GPS satellite usage is free!!!

jono6406
08-09-08, 01:44 AM
yess as long as you have the disc.

Jono

firststs
08-09-08, 08:33 AM
...OnStar also has its own GPS receiver that is entirely separate from the NAV systems receiver...

Wow, that's the first time I've heard that. I'm not saying you're wrong but I figured the NAV system would just tap off the data stream from the OnStar GPS receiver, since every Caddy they put the NAV system in will have an OnStar system. And the GPS receiver in the OnStar system doesn't require an OnStar subscription to receive GPS signals (it's just not good for anything by itself since it doesn't have a user interface.)

thewood
08-09-08, 09:29 AM
The factory navigation system is a self contained system. As long as you have the DVD, you do not have to pay any fees or service. The only monthly fee that you may have is for XM radio or for Onstar if you choose to subscribe to either one. Onstar has a directions & connections package that can send routing directions to your car if it is not contained on the DVD. The drawback to the factory DVD navigation is that the information on the DVD is only good as it was when it was produced, probably about 3 years old now. Onstar updates their database monthly so they always have more current information than any DVD. I'm not sure if the 07 models included navigation updates. If not, you can purchase annual updated discs.

Max
Thanks for the information. So far the DVD has taken me to the front door of every place I've needed to go. I love it. I'll ask my dealer when the DVD is due for a subscription update.

This may be off topic but... Not to slam any other system but, since I can Bluetooth my current cell service and use voice command I currently see no need to pay for any other service unless of course someone was to provide digital TV through the navigation system while parked at a reasonable fee, then maybe I'd check into that.

thewood
08-09-08, 09:32 AM
NAV uses GPS signals provided by the U.S. Government.

DOH!! The Government can now track my every move, them rat bastards :hide: !!

marathonman89
08-09-08, 10:36 AM
Hello,

My 2008 V6 STS w/nav could be better. Only accurate about 80% of the time. As for getting me home, it takes me an 1/8 of a mile away on the other side of a water canal. Called GM, their answer is that it is not designed to take you to the front door, but come on, across a waterway. Funny thing is that using turn by turn directions with On-Star is spot on every time. Go figure?

Maybe the next gen nav disk with work better when released, but I'm not holding my breath.

FYI - This STS replaced a 2006 Toyota Avalon Limited. That nav was a pain to program using a joystick button instead of touch, but it was 99.98% accurate.

Pete

dkozloski
08-09-08, 03:44 PM
Wow, that's the first time I've heard that. I'm not saying you're wrong but I figured the NAV system would just tap off the data stream from the OnStar GPS receiver, since every Caddy they put the NAV system in will have an OnStar system. And the GPS receiver in the OnStar system doesn't require an OnStar subscription to receive GPS signals (it's just not good for anything by itself since it doesn't have a user interface.)
The NAV system has its own GPS antenna and receiver. There is no connection to the OnStar GPS.

thewood
08-09-08, 09:23 PM
The previous owner probably pre-paid several months in advance, and you're still within that period.

was that a guess?

thewood
08-09-08, 09:30 PM
Hello,

My 2008 V6 STS w/nav could be better. Only accurate about 80% of the time. As for getting me home, it takes me an 1/8 of a mile away on the other side of a water canal. Called GM, their answer is that it is not designed to take you to the front door, but come on, across a waterway. Funny thing is that using turn by turn directions with On-Star is spot on every time. Go figure?

Maybe the next gen nav disk with work better when released, but I'm not holding my breath.

FYI - This STS replaced a 2006 Toyota Avalon Limited. That nav was a pain to program using a joystick button instead of touch, but it was 99.98% accurate.

Pete

:shhh: Didn't your know the government is only accuract 80% of the time so this falls right into the standard :2thumbs:

ewill3rd
08-09-08, 10:19 PM
Think of the navigation system in the radio as a handheld GPS. It is a completely self contained and separate entity within the vehicle.
All it needs to function is power, ground, and the navigation disc. The disc is the map database information, it only needs to be updated if you want a newer version of the database. Roads change, businesses start and close all the time so POI information will change, etc. Honestly you only need to get an update about once every 5 years, although some people think they need one as soon as it is available. To do that you simply buy a new data disc from www.gmnavdisc.com.

OnStar has it's own GPS antenna and receiver. It calculates your position and will report it to OnStar when you press the OnStar button.
With the navigation system and bluetooth capability the only remaining need for OnStar would be accident notification and vehicle theft recovery services. That and small features like the diagnostic checkup emails they offer and remote door unlocking are about all you'd gain from a basic subscription.

The_Judge
08-09-08, 11:39 PM
The NAV system is also integrated with XM radio, which for some reason is what I though the original post was about. It's really awesome in the urban areas where it works -- real-time traffic information, including accidents, construction, traffic jams, etc., and the ability to alert you and route you around them. That's a subscription service (and extra $3.99 per month on top of the XM radio subscrition). XM subscriptions are specific to an individual radio, so I was thinking the previous owner had paid up beyond the time he had the car. But that has nothing to do with the mapping itself, which works with free GPS information from government-owned satellites.

thewood
08-10-08, 12:38 AM
To do that you simply buy a new data disc from www.gmnavdisc.com.

If they ever get their database problem fixed, I'll try it.

marathonman89
08-10-08, 09:16 AM
:shhh: Didn't your know the government is only accuract 80% of the time so this falls right into the standard :2thumbs:
No I didn't know that nor do I believe it. With the exception of the 2008 STS Nav the two other factory installed Navs I have used plus my TomTom 720 and believe it or not TeleNav GPS sevice on my Sprint Mogul PDA/Phone are/were all accurate to within feet of the programed destination.

Don't quote me on this but if memory serves the military standard for GPS is approximately 15 feet to destination and approximately 75 feet to destination on the non-military standard.

The 2008 STS Nav simply put, sucks in my area (South Florida West Broward County). Street names that were changed over 2 years ago still show up with the same old name, routing is often round about (but does update as you get closer to your destination). I have tweaked the settings again and again with no luck. It just seems ludicrous to me that this level of car should have a sub standard Nav that 20% of the time either won't find an established address in the data base or if it does, can' get you there. As stated before the On-Star turn by turn is spot on, have not had a single problem with it yet.

Sorry about the rant just my 2 cents worth.

Pete

ewill3rd
08-10-08, 09:29 AM
The issue with GM nav datbases is not one of GPS accuracy but of street addressing and map overlay.
The actual GPS coordinates are pretty close to dead on, but putting the streets and house numbers at the exact longitude and latitude for every building in the country is a pretty daunting task.
My wife's Nuvi has some issues too, although not as many as I have seen on some of the in-car units.

Just yesterday the Nuvi was telling me to turn down a dead end street, then turn around and get back on the road I was on to begin with.
Someone has to overlay all that information, compile it for literally millions of streets, and put you at your destination. While I agree it is far from perfect I would challenge anyone who can do it better to prove it.

Even if it has small glitches it is pretty impressive technology, and this all still leads me to wonder how in the world some poeople ever got anyplace before GPS was invented????
Maybe it is confusing to me because I have spent a great deal of my life traveling and using paper maps?

jono6406
08-10-08, 09:53 AM
I have the 2.0v disc in my 05 STS and I can't find not one problem with it whatsoever. As a matter of fact I really like this navi system.:thumbsup:

thewood
08-10-08, 09:55 AM
how in the world some poeople ever got anyplace before GPS was invented????

Maps and a few extra gallons of gas worked for me. I traveled from cost to cost a few times and high ways were always easy. It was the city driving that's a killer. Try going to Boston without a GPS sometime!! I always parked and took the subway.

Free with minor glitches, that I can live with. I think it's quite amazing! Next.. I need that GPS/Cell/Bluetooth wrist watch so I can get to my next appointment on time while I'm on a conference call with my boss.

ewill3rd
08-10-08, 10:00 AM
Yeah, higways are easy. In towns is hard.
I know I have had issues in San Francisco, St. Louis, Kansas City, and some other places. It would have made my life so much easier with GPS. I even had to get out and ask for directions sometimes!!!
:lol:

dkozloski
08-10-08, 01:23 PM
Road warrior traveling salesmen still use a Rand-McNally road atlas.

Superjim
08-10-08, 10:51 PM
I have Nav in my DTS... but there is also a Rand McNally atlas in the trunk... just in case it is needed. :)

When actually traveling... it is in the back seat...within reach. :)

Texas Jim

ewill3rd
08-11-08, 07:59 AM
I started buying street level detail maps whenever I would pull into a town that I planned on spending a few days in. I have decent collection.... around here somewhere :lol:

thewood
08-11-08, 09:11 AM
I started buying street level detail maps whenever I would pull into a town that I planned on spending a few days in. I have decent collection.... around here somewhere :lol:

Next 4th of July should be one hell of a bonfire at your place.