: New Rear Diff needed, anyone have one for sale.

DownSouthCaddy
08-08-08, 01:21 PM
Just went to put the bolt that sheared off in my rear end and turns out the ear was cracked. when i put the bolt in, the ear broke off. Need help please!!!!

lollygagger8
08-08-08, 02:18 PM
The ear?? You mean the part of the diff where the bushing is? Got pics?

lollygagger8
08-08-08, 02:38 PM
If you can't find a new diff, get a regular diff from a CTS, or SRX and change out the gears. The cases are the same.

I feel for ya bro, I broke my diff out of warranty and had to replace it myself. I made a writeup about the diff install a little while ago, so if you need any help let me know. I don't think I'll ever forget changing that out lol. Not hard, just a lil' time consuming!

CALL 866-363-7278 (newgmparts.com) they should be cheaper than any dealer!!! <- if you are going for a new one. They'll just need your last 8 digits of your VIN

smoothq
08-08-08, 02:53 PM
Try this website they have one not sure how much you are looking to spend tho. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-07-Cadillac-CTS-V-Complete-Rear-Suspension-Assembly_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33728QQihZ021Q QitemZ310072398023QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

DownSouthCaddy
08-08-08, 03:40 PM
I work at a street rod shop so changing it is no problem. I got a new one coming, thanks for the info guys. I get a dealer discount through my shop so i got a new complete diff for 1600 no tax. woohoo :alchi:

Now as for what broke, i sheared one of the two bolts on the rear of the diff, not the pinion support, and when i went to intall the new bolt and tighten it up, the threaded area broke of, so i have half the threaded section on the diff, and half in my hand. It is a pretty easy fix, just a royal pain. I would rather be workin on a customers car anyday.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
08-08-08, 04:15 PM
I have them in stock for $1615.00 plus shipping if anyone else needs one

DownSouthCaddy
08-08-08, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know if the stock bolts holding up the rear diff are grade 8 or not

helogene
08-08-08, 06:16 PM
Once you get it out, can you "WELD" up the ear that cracked/broke off?

Either save it as a SPARE (I know, a lot of bucks tied up there), or sell it off later.

Just an idea....

I'd still pursue getting SOMETHING from the dealer, but, I think you screwed the pooch when YOU touched it. They'll claim the damage was from you, not from their "FACTORY CERTIFIED TECHNICIANS"....

Sorry dude.

DownSouthCaddy
08-09-08, 04:52 PM
I have conceded to the fact that i wont get what i want out of caddy, but i need the car, its my daily driver. I can weld up the broken piece, but it wont hold up to the torque the car puts out being that it is cast aluminum, so i plan on putting it in my brothers 1929 model A 2dr sedan. Yep, independent rear in a model A. We are doing an inboard front coilover and independent in the rear, should be a pretty original setup when it is done. wont be anytime soon, but in the near future.