: Winter Driving?

adamgh81
08-07-08, 04:23 PM
I am looking to purchase a used CTS-V (2006 hopefully) sometime soon and will probably get rid of my FWD Maxima that does awesome in the snow. We don't get a ton of snow, but do get a few inches every few weeks in the winter and wanted to see how the V's traction control handled the winter weather. Is it worth buying an extra set of wheels and getting snow tires? Any winter weather driving comments would be helpful! Thanks!

CTSV_510
08-07-08, 04:29 PM
I bought my V in mid-January this year and I live just outside Philadelphia.

I bought a second set of wheels w/Blizzak LM-22 snow tires and put them on right away after I couldn't leave the parking lot at work one day when it snowed a couple inches.

The V drove like a tank with the snow tires - driving carefully there was little slippage and the car felt safe and planted. I even tried to swing it sideways at low speed (with full traction & stability ON) and the car wouldn't let me. I slammed the brakes at about 25 mph and didn't even slide, so I was very impressed with the V's performance in the snow with the correct tires,

YoshiV
08-07-08, 09:29 PM
Yep...snow tires and 2nd gear from a stop...

Twitch
08-07-08, 10:12 PM
Yup!!! Snow tires in winter. And performance tires in the summer. All-seasons are worthless on this car.

adamgh81
08-07-08, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the response! Sounds like I won't need 2 cars, just 2 sets of tires. What's the smallest size of wheels I can get to fit over the 2006 brembo rotors?

buf05CTSV
08-07-08, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the response! Sounds like I won't need 2 cars, just 2 sets of tires. What's the smallest size of wheels I can get to fit over the 2006 brembo rotors?

18's.. so stock size. I live in Buffalo, and I still drive my V during winter. It's fine, you just have to take it easy when there's precipitation on the ground and stuff.

smoothq
08-08-08, 11:13 AM
You can get snow tires but I would never drive my baby in the because Im not worried about me driving im worried about other people driving, not being able to do anything about people coming up from behind mashing into me would just ruin my day. Thats why I bought a beater truck just for those few days of snow.... Good luck

bettinamike
08-08-08, 02:17 PM
Any good "all season" tires for a 04 CTS ?

JD03Cobra
08-08-08, 02:36 PM
Any good "all season" tires for a 04 CTS ?

All season tires are worthless in snow. In general their are good tires but not for these conditions.

Ak Jim
08-08-08, 04:28 PM
We have snow for 6-7 months. The car drives great with the correct tires, I have Dunlop winter sport M-3s. When it gets really cold (<-30) I drive my old truck. This car is too much fun to put away for the entire winter!

JimmyH
08-08-08, 04:34 PM
Snow tires will outperform any all season tire...when they are new. If you want to keep them new, you need to take them off when there is no snow, as the rubber compound used on snow tires will wear very quickly on pavement. The thing that makes snow tires tick are the sipes. When they have nice sharp edges, they grip snow very very well. Once those edges get rounded, all bets are off.

A worn all-season tire will outperform a worn snow tire on snow, as the edges of the A/S tread blocks will not wear as quickly.

Oh and the multi-cell compound of ice rated tires wear even faster. But you probably wouldnt want to put those on a V anyway as they typically are not speed rated.

In Columbus, I am sure they plow the roads quickly, I would not waste money on snow tires. Better off with a good set of all season for the winter, and high performance for the summer.

BTW, I am another former Maxima diehard. What year do you have?

adamgh81
08-08-08, 09:21 PM
BTW, I am another former Maxima diehard. What year do you have?

Yes, Columbus roads are not too bad as they plow fairly quickly, i have a 20 mile commute and considered an "essential employee" during any unforeseen weather events. We did have a nice March blizzard this year that really sucked, although that's pretty rare. Hmm, sounds like a good set of all-season tires might work for the winter. Anyone else with moderate winters please chime in about winter driving.

My 2000 Maxima SE has 134,xxx miles so far (with a few mods) and I will continue to enjoy her until there is a V in my garage...I do like the specs of the 2009's but the V's have won me over.:worship: I also had a 1992 SE until she died at 174k miles, RIP. Which Max did you have JimmyH?

Speedogomer
08-08-08, 10:31 PM
All seasons are a tire that works as a tire, and nothing more. They aren't good in the snow, they aren't great in the dry, and they aren't that special in the wet. They kinda do everything ok, but don't handle anything great.

JimmyH
08-08-08, 10:59 PM
I started with a 97 SE 5-speed that I drove to 55k and foolishly traded in. To this day, I miss that car. gen3 was the pinnacle IMHO. Then I had a 2000 SE 5-speed that I sold in Feb at 185k miles. I thought about running it into the ground, but traffic just keeps getting worse and I decided it was finally time to get an auto. So the CTS has replaced the Max as my DD. And the V is the toy :D

2009 looks nice, but if you read the specs, it's just as much of a pig as Gen6. 4DSC it is not. And I cannot stand CVT.

So I guess you were at Maxima.org then? I am (was) JimmyH over there too. Havent been there in a while.

You will LOVE the V. Even with all its flaws. Everyone of them is offset by 10 or more awesome attributes.

JimmyH
08-08-08, 11:07 PM
All seasons are a tire that works as a tire, and nothing more. They aren't good in the snow, they aren't great in the dry, and they aren't that special in the wet. They kinda do everything ok, but don't handle anything great.

You cannot really say that without sampling them all, which of course is not possible. But there are some all season tires that are superb in most conditions.

All tires are going to get worse as they wear. It is only a question of how long. And yes they are a compromise. But so are winter tires really. So are summer tires.

Snow tires are really only worth it if you live in an area that gets alot of snow, and it stays on the roads for a while. If you are only driving on snow, the tires will last several years at peak efficiency.

In these times, any metropolitan area gets snow removal pretty quick. And even on wet pavement, snow tires are going to wear quickly.

It's a judgement call for sure. If you cannot or will not remove the snow tires when the roads are clear, and are willing to buy a new set when they start loosing their bite, then snow tires are worth it. For the shear fun alone. I used to pull on 4wd SUVs in snow away from stoplights with my fwd Max. The look on the face of the suv owner kicking up snow at all four corners was just magical :lol:

With the amount I drive, under the above conditions, I got one winter, and by the end, the tires were spinning in light snow when other cars with AS tires were gripping.

Johan Ahlqvist
08-13-08, 05:01 PM
I lives in Sweden and I drive my V every day. Normal snowtires and it works fine. Good luck!