: Oinking from rear

ahahnu
08-07-08, 04:28 PM
Last week I drove to Hilton Head from Jersey. Everything was fine going down. Once I got there, the next day I get this sould coming from the back of the car. An Oink is the closest similie I could get. Its not quite a grinding, but almost metal on metal and or rubber unlubed rubbing against metal. It happens at slow speeds when turning left or right. I did change my rear fluid before I left with royal purple. It had been done a few times before with rp but not with me. I checked uder the car and there were no puddles or appearance that any leaked out. I don't have a lift so I don't have a thorough examination. Any ideas? Thanks.

stuckey
08-07-08, 06:13 PM
Maybe a bad diff bushing??? Could explain the rubber sound and why you here it in turns. I'm a newb though so wait for further advice.

darkman
08-07-08, 08:45 PM
Its hard to diagnose a noise, but the your description of the symptoms sure sounds like differential fluid with the wrong friction coefficient for the internal clutches. That does not mean the fluid is necessarily inferior but it simply does not work with your clutches in their current conditon. This would indicate the need for some friction modifier additive or a different fluid.

ahahnu
08-08-08, 10:42 AM
need for some friction modifier additive or a different fluid.

That is similar to what I was thinking hoping it would be. Thanks.

CTSV05
08-08-08, 08:29 PM
Oinking?....LOL!

2004ctsv
08-08-08, 08:48 PM
Oinking?....LOL!

I have trouble keeping a straight face - oinking? rear?
Paddle faster, I hear banjoes

Where's Florian? No comments?

The Tony Show
08-08-08, 11:08 PM
Drain out a shotglass worth of fluid and add one bottle of the GM friction modifier.

ahahnu
08-15-08, 07:53 PM
Drain out a shotglass worth of fluid and add one bottle of the GM friction modifier.

Thank you very kindly. I did not see this until now as it got buried on here. I went and bought a bottle of the diff additive, drained and started from scratch. here's the wierd thing. The fluid was still mostly purple. Atleast when pulled off the fill plug at the top the fluid on it was purple. I though that it would change like motor oil. Anyway, did it today and she's silent.

On another note I went to another dealer closer to my house then my normal. They were so nice and so trying to get my business. Its a shame they wouldn't try to sell me the car originally, just thought I wasn't serious. They had a service writer that even offered to drive my car to give me an opinion. BAD IDEA. She could barely drive stick and grinded first trying to sync the gear while still rolling forward. I know it can be done, as I do it all the time. The V is a lot different the her Sunfire! I will try to never let anyone drive her again voluntarily.