: New Owner/Member w/ n*star question

elvisonsteroids
08-07-08, 09:36 AM
Hello all, just bought a clean 02 Sls and am in the process of making friends w/ it. This is my first Cadillac so I am doing tons of reading of previous threads.
My question is could anyone give me a quick breakdown of the differences between the sls tuned motor vs. the sts motor? is it all pcm or something more devious? Im assuming the sts has no top end governor and possibly some suspension differences. I'm willing to do the searches if I can get a few hints on where to look.
Thanks in advance and hope to become a contributing member.

Bob

Submariner409
08-07-08, 09:48 AM
STS speed limiters were set depending on the speed rating of the OEM trires:
S = 112 mph. H = 130+mph, and W(Z) = no limiter, 150 +/- depending on drag, tire model and overall weight.

STS was advertised at 300hp/3.71 final drive; SLS at 275/3.11. Some PCM differences and intake cams between the two, and there were quite a few cam grind changes from 2000-2003+. Torque figures varied also.

SLS used the Road Sensing Suspension (not sure about CVRSS), STS used CVRSS and later 02+ used Magnetic Ride Control, same as Corvette and Ferrari.

Go back through Seville and Northstar and read a lot.......only way to catch up, because the info would fill a NYC telephone book.

Welcome aboard and keep it (the car) clean !!!!!!!

Ranger
08-07-08, 11:55 AM
I don't believe the '02 SLS has CVRSS or Magnaride struts. Mine didn't. The SLS has more low end torque and will get better fuel mileage due to the difference in final drive ratios that Sub mentioned. The SLS also has a softer ride.

elvisonsteroids
08-08-08, 08:37 AM
I appreciate the replies, that was the info I was looking for. This info also solidifies that I can officially worry moreso about appearance upgrades than marginal performance gains.
I'm hoping for good luck with being my first cadillac. Looking forward to immersing myself in the info hidden away in the forum.

Thanks again,
Bob

codewize
08-08-08, 09:19 AM
Bob, welcome to the board. You'll certainly keep yourself busy around here.

Enjoy the car.

Ranger
08-08-08, 11:37 AM
Be sure to read the Technical Archives at the top left of the page.

chubbyranger
08-09-08, 11:36 AM
Particularly read up on oil usage (N* is designed to use oil), the oil life monitor and transmission fluid life monitor and coolant changes. Just don't ask about what kind of oil to use or you'll invoke the wrath of Urby :hide: That's been covered here just a few times before.