: ATTN EVERYONE: Cadillac placed a warranty stop on my V bc of DMH Cutouts

DownSouthCaddy
08-07-08, 08:38 AM
Ok, so i sheared one of the three bolts that holds up my rear diff and took it to Ron Carter Cadillac Hummer and after they checked out the car, i was informed that a cadillac rep was at the dealer that day and walked under my car, saw the cutouts and placed a warranty stop on my whole driveline...engine, trans, rear end, brakes....but the window motors are still covered!! This is just ridiculous. What do you guys think.

lollygagger8
08-07-08, 08:40 AM
I think that is horse$hit, and you should drive your V up his A$$!!!

perfect
08-07-08, 08:41 AM
that sucks...

what can you do about it?

DownSouthCaddy
08-07-08, 08:48 AM
Pulling this out today

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Below is the 'legal stuff' about the Warranty act, basically the part that concerns a buyer of aftermarket automotive products is that a dealer or manufacturer cannot void or charge for a warranty service based on use of aftermarket products unless a failure is a DIRECT result of use of the aftermarket product and they will have to prove how.
They also cannot tell you that you must use the factory filters etc. to keep your warranty, unless they are willing to give you those items FREE of charge

lollygagger8
08-07-08, 09:03 AM
Thatta Boy!!!!! I'm so sick of them just denying everything at a drop of the hat. They already left us in the cold about our diffs.....give us a break!

JD03Cobra
08-07-08, 09:13 AM

:yeah:

NormV
08-07-08, 09:25 AM
....go buy a $5 bolt/nut.

Norm

Kmajecki
08-07-08, 09:43 AM
What other mods do you have? If it's just the cutouts, that's BS! But if you roll up all cammed out and maggied they may have something on ya....

urbanski
08-07-08, 09:50 AM
good luck fighting it. they can and will block warranty for anything. you're lucky it was just driveline

DownSouthCaddy
08-07-08, 10:01 AM
No other mods, just magnaflow and cutouts. I think they are messin with me cuz im only 23. But what they dont know is i work at a street rod shop and have been to school, so i know the ends and outs of the business. If i dont win, guess that means cam and a tune

lollygagger8
08-07-08, 10:06 AM
Fight em on it, and tell em hook you up or you'll make your V a permanent fixture in their sales office! :devil:
I would also try a different dealer!!

Natedog
08-07-08, 10:30 AM
Dude thats total BS.. i run the low profile DMH cutouts and have not had a single gripe from Lindsay... Mostly stock otherwise as well

Do you have any issues with your cutouts not closing all the way?? it seems mine have gotten a bit looser over time and don't hold the same pressure when closed, thus making an awful leaky/almost rattling sound when fully shut

DownSouthCaddy
08-07-08, 11:03 AM
No issue with the cutouts, i put them on like 3 weeks ago so everything still works perfect. i wonder if someone at lindsay could be any help, i am all the way in texas, but i realy dnt know who to call.

buf05CTSV
08-07-08, 11:11 AM
Yeah that's total bull. If you still have trouble, make a call to GM offices or something. I even read an article a year or so ago saying that Cadillac dealers are given permission to make free repairs after warranty, to help brand loyalty.

Bigron
08-07-08, 11:31 AM
Fight em on it, and tell em hook you up or you'll make your V a permanent fixture in their sales office! :devil:
I would also try a different dealer!!

Trying a different dealer won't help if the GM rep put something in the system.

I know it's not a popular stance on this forum but an aftermarket mod that increase the load on drive train parts that is not approved from the factory can void the drive train warranty in my mind.

Heck aftermarket rims (increasing unsprung weight) could void most claims in my mind.

That is why the corsa exhaust and minor appearance mods is all I will due until my GMPP is done.

Twitch
08-07-08, 11:32 AM
If you can, change the bolt yourself. But fight them anyway.
I wonder if the block will show up at all the dealers?

DownSouthCaddy
08-07-08, 12:12 PM
Just had a service manager at a chevy dealer that i am friends with run the vin, and there is currently no warranty stop in the system. I am going to get the car and trailer it to my shop tonite. I will put it on the rack and replace it myself. No big deal, i just figured it should be done for free. I suspect that when they replaced my pinion support bushing two months ago that the tech over or undertorqued the bolt, bc i am sure he used an impact, and that is why it broke. But i will take care of the problem, but as far as the warranty situation goes i am nowhere near done with cadillac. This is my 3rd cts, first V, and i have never been so mistreated.

heavymetals
08-07-08, 12:39 PM
Be prepared to do battle, all the way up to lemon lawing the car.

If your worried about the warranty, DON'T MOD IT.

That is one of the advantages that living in California has for me.

Great state for the consumer.

Kind of crappy that they cancel your warranty because you have the equivalent of a hole in the exhaust.

Ferny
08-07-08, 12:40 PM

:histeric: make sure you have the cutouts open when you do!!

DownSouthCaddy
08-07-08, 03:28 PM
I am ready to do battle, but before i blow up on the dealer i want my car in my posession. As soon as its on the trailer, they will be calling for security.

onebadcad
08-07-08, 03:51 PM
,,, and some dealerships wonder why they cannot build customer/brand loyalty.
I seriously doubt they would be arrogant enough to deny a rear-end claim due to cut-outs, if they do, sue those bastages 'til they bleed!!!

lollygagger8
08-08-08, 09:38 AM
:histeric: make sure you have the cutouts open when you do!!

HAHAHHA HELLZ YA!!!

Good DownSouthCaddy, give em some hell. That bolt is not hard to change at all.....just make sure you buy a 21mm GEAR WRENCH for the bolt head side (no room). Then have the socket on the nut side. There's not enough room in there for sockets on both sides since that bolt is pretty long.

ewill3rd
08-08-08, 11:58 AM
Even if we wanted to pick nits on our customers with mods... which we don't... we wouldn't put a warranty block on the VIN.
You could end up in a situation where an item you brought it in for is not covered if it was affected by a modification.
In other words, if you had cutouts and didn't install them properly, then it cooked the brake lines and did a bunch of damage you'd be on the hook for the repairs.

To actually go to GM and try to put a warranty block on components on your car is... well... not a really professional thing to do.
The sad part would be that there wouldn't be much we could do about it if they actually get it into the system because then any warranty claim will be denied.
From a legal standpoint they'd have to prove that there would be reasonable cause to assume that your modification might affect whatever they want to block for warranty.
They'd have a hard time proving that it would tear up the driveline, but they could probably argue that it could do some internal damage to the engine, although it would be highly doubtful.

I'd take your car away and just wait a while, then take it somewhere else for what you need.
If you piss them off they might push for the warranty block, then you'll be in court, or just plain screwed.
Sorry to hear they are battling you.

RippyPartsDept
08-08-08, 12:17 PM
i would think twice (or maybe three times) before doing even the simplest repair that 'should' be covered under warranty especially if it was caused by the dealer.

i understand that they're saying they won't cover it, but it was caused by their technician and even if your car was out of warranty they should cover it (i mean it's just a bolt, right?)

so anyways, maybe it's a dead-end at that dealership, but i would try at least one other dealership before doing the repair myself

JimmyH
08-08-08, 01:06 PM
,,, and some dealerships wonder why they cannot build customer/brand loyalty.

hmm...I wonder what Lexus would have to say about an IS-F with an illegal exhaust mod...

DownSouthCaddy
08-08-08, 02:06 PM
Well its a little late now guys, i have the car on the lift right now as we speak, went to put in the new bolt, and turns out the ear on the diff was actually cracked. So i just ordered my new rear diff. It hurt too.

perfect
08-08-08, 02:15 PM
Ouch man...

I think a lot of us had a feeling it wouldn't be as simple as "just a new bolt"

good luck getting this all worked out

DownSouthCaddy
08-08-08, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all the replys, the new diff will be here on monday. But the new bolts wont, of course. My car is stranded on the lift in my front shop just takin up space. And whats the first thing my customers see when they walk in the office.......a cts-v with the rear end sitting on a tranny jack.....oh well. I have to say that al my future plans for the vehicle are now shot, cuz i just cant afford to replace everything if it breaks. im not getting rid of the car or changing anything already on there, but i think that she wont be getting a tough workout anytime soon.