: Tire Load Rating Questions BFG KDW 2

Sherlock
08-06-08, 09:54 PM
Just to start off I've searched, and didn't find anything relating to load rating. Now on to the question, I just purchased some new BFGoodrich KDW 2 NT tires size 255 45 R18. Problem is they are 255 45 R18 LL 93W (LL = Light Load) supposedly factory tires from a Mustang. My question is the load rating is 93W on the tires I just purchased and 96Y on the factory tires. 93W tires are rated at 1433lbs at 51PSI and 96Y tires are rated at 1565 at 51PSI. I did some research and the CTS-V looks to weight about 300lbs more than a Mustang GT. I didn't see this as a big deal when I purchased the tires as I got them for just under $500 shipped. I know I could have gotten 255 45 R18 96Y KDW 2's but they were over $720 a set and out of stock. Now for some reason I'm wondering if I should put them on due to the lower load rating. 95% of the time the car is empty and I'm the only one in it, and I only weight 150 lbs. Never has the car been fully load and it never will be. I daily drive the car a mix of city and highway driving, and don't road race or drag race the car. Does anybody have any information on this, thoughts, experiences, etc...? I'm reluctant to call a tire retailer, as I really don't trust them and figure they will just tell me to buy another set of tires.

Thanks in Advance
-Justin

sleepys4
08-06-08, 10:50 PM
They should work fine!

jashearer
08-06-08, 11:14 PM
You planning on running them at 51 psi... yah didn't think so...

You'll be fine no problems at all.

$500 is a great deal. I bought mine from discount and they were $200/tire or so.

p.s. I love mine.

Sherlock
08-06-08, 11:42 PM
You planning on running them at 51 psi... yah didn't think so...

You'll be fine no problems at all.

$500 is a great deal. I bought mine from discount and they were $200/tire or so.

p.s. I love mine.
I believe at 51 psi that is where the tire can handle the max/most weight. So I would assume at say 32 psi, the tire would have an even lower weight rating. This is my concern at normal pressure levels is this tire going to be safe. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the load rating works.

I guess what I'm worried about is irregular or excessive tread wear, or poor handling. Honestly if they wear a little faster so be it, since I paid considerably less for them.

CBVLS6
08-07-08, 12:44 AM
I believe at 51 psi that is where the tire can handle the max/most weight. So I would assume at say 32 psi, the tire would have an even lower weight rating. This is my concern at normal pressure levels is this tire going to be safe. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the load rating works.

I guess what I'm worried about is irregular or excessive tread wear, or poor handling. Honestly if they wear a little faster so be it, since I paid considerably less for them.

im running my kdw 2's at about 32psi, they vary between 31-33 and run up to about 35-36 when hot. I filled mine with nitrogen and it seems to limit the volumetric expansion you get with compressed air.

I also found that lower pressures seem to help the wheelhop in the back.

rand49er
08-07-08, 12:44 PM
Well, there goes that vacation to Death Valley in July with the whole family plus their luggage. :D

Otherwise, I agree, you'll probably be fine.

DRKSIDE
08-07-08, 03:04 PM
usefull info : http://www.dualport.com/bustech/load_tires.html

nikon
08-07-08, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much...I've got the same tires...255/40/18 with a 95y rating...just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Sherlock
08-07-08, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much...I've got the same tires...255/40/18 with a 95y rating...just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
I decided to go ahead and get them mounted. I took the rims and tires to the dealer today, they will be done tomorrow. Dealer wanted $66 to mount and balance where Discount Tire wanted $107 and Belle Tire wanted $120.