: Wheel Question

jebfrank
08-06-08, 06:17 PM
I finally got a chance to really clean up the V for the first time today. I notice at the a few weeks ago when I brought the car that the wheels seemed a little faded. Well it appears that the previous owner applied something to the wheels that removed the paint and tried to cover it up with silver spray paint.

Appearently these wheels are a pain to refinish, I got a quote today for $256.00 per wheel with a little over a week turn around time.

I have notice that a few members on here have had there wheels powder coated and I was wondering if anyone has had them done in silver close to the stock color? Does anyone know of a company that will refinish the wheels cheaper that $256.00? What are you thoughts of refinishing the wheels vs. powdercoating? Other that the finish, wheels are in great shape with no curb rash.

Jerrett

type911
08-06-08, 06:21 PM
You can probably find a place in your area that will powder coat for around $100 $150 a wheel. Look in the yellow pages. May I suggest a Black chrome finish.

kona san
08-06-08, 06:32 PM
You can probably find a place in your area that will powder coat for around $100 $150 a wheel. Look in the yellow pages. May I suggest a Black chrome finish.

Dropping mine off to get black chrome today! Got quoted $620 for the set, about 155 a wheel.

CTSvRod just got his back. You can check out his pictures here
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/146371-my-wheels-done-powdercoated-access-wheels.html

LUVMY04V
08-06-08, 07:00 PM
vrod did his in gunmetal not black chrome

but this is what black chrome will look like
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/brentman2006/DSCF01766.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/brentman2006/DSCF0194-1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/brentman2006/0621081412a.jpg

Dropping mine off to get black chrome today! Got quoted $620 for the set, about 155 a wheel.

CTSvRod just got his back. You can check out his pictures here
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/146371-my-wheels-done-powdercoated-access-wheels.html

jebfrank
08-06-08, 07:10 PM
So far from the replies, it is looking like powder coating is the way to go. I really don't know if I can go the black chrome or gun metal route. I really like the stock silver look. Maybe i'll search for some picture of darker wheel colors on a silver car.

CtsVrod
08-06-08, 07:38 PM
So far from the replies, it is looking like powder coating is the way to go. I really don't know if I can go the black chrome or gun metal route. I really like the stock silver look. Maybe i'll search for some picture of darker wheel colors on a silver car.

If you look at the thread Kona posted on Page three there are pics of the wheels on the Car. There Access. Wheels though, so they will look a bit different

Here's one.. This pic is right when I brought her home after putting the wheels on... Still DIRTY, they look alot darker in the pics, but actually change color in the light. Dark Gunmetal in the Shade/Dark, and Metallic Anthracite in the Sun... sooo sick

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/Boosted1456/DSC01625.jpg

CtsVrod
08-06-08, 07:40 PM
You should also ask about striping the exisiting paint off... from what I hear its a PITA to get off... I know the place that powdercoated my Wheels quoted 75 bucks a wheel to chemically strip them. Luckily my wheels were polished!!

rlj5
08-06-08, 07:46 PM
I know I saw someone that did powdercoat with near stock color, Just can't remember who. Might try a search and see if anything pops up

whisler151
08-06-08, 08:25 PM
It seems that $100/wheel is going rate. I won a 1/2 off raffle prize from my shop so I only paid $50/wheel. They fixed the curb rash too!

814V
08-06-08, 09:03 PM
i have a guy that did my 24's for $200 total... if anyone doesnt mind shipping i can get it done in any color for the same deal. he does great work as well.. here is a pic of my old wheels..

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m196/dv814/IMG_0019.jpg

jebfrank
08-06-08, 09:08 PM
You should also ask about striping the exisiting paint off... from what I hear its a PITA to get off... I know the place that powdercoated my Wheels quoted 75 bucks a wheel to chemically strip them. Luckily my wheels were polished!!

Thats what they were telling my at the local tire shop. I guess the normal charge for refinishing wheels are $150.00, but once they found out they were a V model it went up another $106.00 bucks.

jebfrank
08-06-08, 09:12 PM
i have a guy that did my 24's for $200 total... if anyone doesnt mind shipping i can get it done in any color for the same deal. he does great work as well.. here is a pic of my old wheels..

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m196/dv814/IMG_0019.jpg

Those look pretty good darn good! Where would I have to ship them too? Does he have a business or does this line of work on the side?

lollygagger8
08-06-08, 09:22 PM
Soda Blasting the wheels will get the old $hitty paint off and have a nice finish. Does the powdercoating make the rims "sticky" as opposed to having a paintjob and clear over them? I would think brake dust would like to stick better to powder coating than paint. Am I off base here?

stuckey
08-06-08, 09:23 PM
vrod did his in gunmetal not black chrome

but this is what black chrome will look like
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/brentman2006/DSCF01766.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/brentman2006/DSCF0194-1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/brentman2006/0621081412a.jpg

I've been meaning to say this since I've seen your car everywhere on the forums...WOW :thumbsup:!!! Your car looks amazing. Black chrome would be the way to go I think. I'm looking to get mine done ASAP. Just gotta find a local shop that can do em and pref. another set of stockers.

rand49er
08-06-08, 09:30 PM
Wonder what LUVMY04V's wheels would look like on a Stealth Gray V. I'm sure not as good as on a black V. :thumbsup:

The stock wheels, even though you try to keep them nice, seem to gather little nicks and mars as time passes. I'm sure I'll have to do something eventually. Sure not crazy about spending all that dough. :mad:

CtsVrod
08-06-08, 09:32 PM
Soda Blasting the wheels will get the old $hitty paint off and have a nice finish. Does the powdercoating make the rims "sticky" as opposed to having a paintjob and clear over them? I would think brake dust would like to stick better to powder coating than paint. Am I off base here?

No Sticky... It looks, and feels like paint, just MUCH more durable. My Wheels were powdercoated in 3 stages. Silver Metallic/Anthracite First, Translucent Nickel Second, and then 80% Semi Gloss Clear...

ROG
08-06-08, 09:33 PM
Has anyone with a redline or infrared had there wheels black chromed? Would like to know how it looks.

I just picked up another set of wheels and not sure what color I prefer.

Also thought about getting them coated same color as car.

Any thoughts out there???

814V
08-06-08, 09:37 PM
Those look pretty good darn good! Where would I have to ship them too? Does he have a business or does this line of work on the side?

its a business... lovely phoenix az

sleepys4
08-06-08, 11:58 PM
I thought about getting mine same color as the car two. I have been looking for pictures, but have been unsuccessful.

jebfrank
08-07-08, 04:47 PM
I thought about getting mine same color as the car two. I have been looking for pictures, but have been unsuccessful.

I stopped by a local powdercoating shop and looked through there color book. They have a color called Stardust Silver that looked pretty close to stock, just appeared to have a few more metalic flakes in it. I think this is what I a going to go with, just trying to get a few more quotes together.

1FASTSS
08-07-08, 04:59 PM
I was quote 100 per wheel with fixing curb rash from the other owner...he quoted sandblasting the rims to bear metal before PC.

crankedupforit
08-07-08, 05:07 PM
Jarett

Try a company called Transwheel (Transwheel.com). They will do the original hyper-silver paint which BTW contains lead and is part of a 3 or 4 step process. These wheels are manufactued and painted in Italy by Speedline and Transwheel uses the same process. Also getting the old paint off is such a ball buster that some people will want to change the price after they see how much time they have into the wheels. I think the stock wheels are gorgeous when they are clean and have no rash. Powder coated wheels are cool as well, but they scuff and hold brake dust just like a painted wheel. Transwheel charges $175 a wheel unless you want a cheaper paint then it's $125 a wheel.

Mike

jebfrank
08-07-08, 05:25 PM
Appearently Transwheel has been brought out by Keystone and there prices went up. I remember back in the day they charged $175 per wheel which they still might be, but for our wheels they want $256 a wheel. That was an Indiana price, is it cheaper up in Wisconsin? or maybe my tire guy is trying to get his cut!

SkullV
08-07-08, 11:36 PM
Appearently Transwheel has been brought out by Keystone and there prices went up. I remember back in the day they charged $175 per wheel which they still might be, but for our wheels they want $256 a wheel. That was an Indiana price, is it cheaper up in Wisconsin? or maybe my tire guy is trying to get his cut!

Hey man I just realized that you are in Indianapolis. I had mine powdercoated in Lafayette for $300 for all 4 wheels and that included sandblasting. The place is called B&C Cycle, but they also go by SureTek Powdercoating.

crankedupforit
08-08-08, 05:01 PM

I called the 1 800 892 3733 number which was in a Chicago office. The part number begins with GL95UN (you can look it up on website). They still quoted me $175.00. I think it's worth it. Keystone has owned them for a while now. Good Luck

BTW you can deal direct with them if you get them the wheels. No middleman.

LUVMY04V
08-08-08, 05:38 PM
I've been meaning to say this since I've seen your car everywhere on the forums...WOW :thumbsup:!!! Your car looks amazing. Black chrome would be the way to go I think. I'm looking to get mine done ASAP. Just gotta find a local shop that can do em and pref. another set of stockers.Thankyou!!! I really like it. THe best would be the "real" black chrome but i love mine either way

Wonder what LUVMY04V's wheels would look like on a Stealth Gray V. I'm sure not as good as on a black V. :thumbsup:

The stock wheels, even though you try to keep them nice, seem to gather little nicks and mars as time passes. I'm sure I'll have to do something eventually. Sure not crazy about spending all that dough. :mad:
I bet they would look sick on stealth gray. I think even better than black!!

jebfrank
08-08-08, 05:51 PM
Hey man I just realized that you are in Indianapolis. I had mine powdercoated in Lafayette for $300 for all 4 wheels and that included sandblasting. The place is called B&C Cycle, but they also go by SureTek Powdercoating.

Did you have them done close to stock color or something diffrent? Any pictures?

jebfrank
08-08-08, 05:52 PM
I called the 1 800 892 3733 number which was in a Chicago office. The part number begins with GL95UN (you can look it up on website). They still quoted me $175.00. I think it's worth it. Keystone has owned them for a while now. Good Luck

Thanks guys for all of you help. It is looking like there is a mixed reviews between painting and powder coating. That $175.00 per wheel sounds a lot better than $256.00 per wheel, but getting all 4 done for $300 bucks sounds even better! I guess I will just have to make my mind up.

SkullV
08-08-08, 06:00 PM
Did you have them done close to stock color or something diffrent? Any pictures?

I had them done gloss black. They have tons of colors, they usually do custom motorcycle work so they have almost every color you could imagine. I do not have any good pics right now, but I will shortly.

atdeneve
08-08-08, 07:25 PM
Jarett

Try a company called Transwheel (Transwheel.com). They will do the original hyper-silver paint which BTW contains lead and is part of a 3 or 4 step process. These wheels are manufactued and painted in Italy by Speedline and Transwheel uses the same process. Also getting the old paint off is such a ball buster that some people will want to change the price after they see how much time they have into the wheels. I think the stock wheels are gorgeous when they are clean and have no rash. Powder coated wheels are cool as well, but they scuff and hold brake dust just like a painted wheel. Transwheel charges $175 a wheel unless you want a cheaper paint then it's $125 a wheel.

Mike

Cranked, after coming across your comments about Transwheel over a couple of threads, I was thinking of trying them out sometime. It seemed like they knew what they were doing and offered quality work, at a good price. Place I'd normally go to and trust sets me back over a grand per set, so 700 for quality work seems worth a try.

But, I didn't know they were owned by Keystone! Keystone, along with a couple other knowns in the powder coating industry, are supposed to be downright horrible in their work. Absolutely crap quality. Kinda gives me pause about tryin em out.

Actually, I'm kinda surprised I don't hear more gripes about getting wheels back with 'fish-eyes' or bubbles. Apparently, the heating process forces some pockets to travel up to the face of the wheel and form these eye sores. And, apparently, sometimes it's unavoidable to have at least some, depending on the wheel.

But, I've yet to come across anyone making note of these imperfections. Makes me wonder if these 'fish-eyes' really shouldn't be present at all or if I'm just scrutinizing the wheels a bit too much. I don't know, maybe, it's just me, but if I'm paying over a grand, or even a couple hundred, to get rid of imperfections, I don't wanna see no imperfections when I get em back.

AAIIIC
08-09-08, 04:03 AM
Thats what they were telling my at the local tire shop. I guess the normal charge for refinishing wheels are $150.00, but once they found out they were a V model it went up another $106.00 bucks.
There's part of the problem. Why would you ask a tire shop to refinish your wheels? :confused: They're just going to send the work out to someone else, so of course the cost is going to go up.

Go to a paint/body shop or powdercoating shop if you want to get more realistic pricing. I paid $75 per wheel to get a set powdercoated a couple years ago out in Hawaii, where everything is more expensive. I ended up not liking the powdercoat color, and then had the wheels painted for $75 each, too. 3 or 4 years later they still look fantastic. I can't imagine paying over 3x that much per wheel - that's ridiculous!

I don't see why there would be any need to completely strip the original paint off. They should be able to clean up the old paint (if the surface of it is really bad) and just paint over it.

Actually, I'm kinda surprised I don't hear more gripes about getting wheels back with 'fish-eyes' or bubbles. Apparently, the heating process forces some pockets to travel up to the face of the wheel and form these eye sores. And, apparently, sometimes it's unavoidable to have at least some, depending on the wheel.
I've seen plenty of discussions of powdercoating wheels on various automotive forums and I can't say I've ever heard of any complaints of fish eyes or gas bubbles surfacing in the wheels. I have two sets of powdercoated wheels - the one set mentioned above, plus another set I bought off ebay already PC'd - and both sets have an essentially flawless finish.

crankedupforit
08-09-08, 12:10 PM
Cranked, after coming across your comments about Transwheel over a couple of threads, I was thinking of trying them out sometime. It seemed like they knew what they were doing and offered quality work, at a good price. Place I'd normally go to and trust sets me back over a grand per set, so 700 for quality work seems worth a try.

But, I didn't know they were owned by Keystone! Keystone, along with a couple other knowns in the powder coating industry, are supposed to be downright horrible in their work. Absolutely crap quality. Kinda gives me pause about tryin em out.

But, I've yet to come across anyone making note of these imperfections. Makes me wonder if these 'fish-eyes' really shouldn't be present at all or if I'm just scrutinizing the wheels a bit too much. I don't know, maybe, it's just me, but if I'm paying over a grand, or even a couple hundred, to get rid of imperfections, I don't wanna see no imperfections when I get em back.

I think the biggest reason we get wheels repainted on the V is because they get curbed. That along with the fact that some caked on brake dust that is in really hard to reach areas get everyone thinking about a paint job and a promise to take care of them better next time. So we start thinking about paint options. Truth of the matter is that the factory paint is probably far more superior to powder coat. Just try to get the paint off. The process includes curing and several stages of prep and finish. As I said before, the painted stock wheels are just spectatcular when they are clean and straight and in my opinion are one of the main focal points of the car. They are the perfect contrast and are as good or better than any Porsche or BMW painted wheel out there. So I'm with you on this one. I would not change the stock painted wheels unless I didn't like them.

PS. I recently saw a set that was redone by Transwheel for a botched tire mount job and you could not tell them from new. I don't believe Keystone has really changed anything at Transwheel since they operate as their own entity. I'm not really plugging them, but I believe in originality and they seem to be the only ones that can really duplicate the OEM finish. Other shops struggle with getting off the paint which drives up the cost and their paint is probably just a close match to the stock color but not the durable paint that is OEM.

atdeneve
08-09-08, 03:02 PM
The place I use also duplicates the multi-step process (sans the lead) for the hypersilver of the stock wheel. Due to the black base atop which the silver lies, it's got that characteristic glow to it, which a regular paint process will not reproduce. Actually, I like the fact that when you have it refinished, you can stipulate that you'd like the whole wheel to be powder coated, including the inner barrel, and not just the face, as it is when stock. But, like I said, they're pretty costly.

For the hypersilver process, they actually send it out somewhere in the midwest. Not sure where, though. So, I know I'm getting some mark up in price. If I knew where they outsourced it, I could just deal with them directly, but, of course, they won't divulge that info.