: Is there a way to "hack" the radio?

Doctornick
08-06-08, 12:32 PM
The reason I ask is because I see so much potential in the setup and it seems the GM engineers kind of half assed its completion. Would there be a way to put another control unit in there to customize some of the settings on the headunit?

I would like to add things like a backup camera, Sirius headers instead of XM headers, maybe have the head unit control my electric cutouts when I go into competition mode, better dvd controls etc etc

It seems like there should be someway to modify the inputs on the headunit.

Are you all following me? Am I living a pipe dream?

odla
08-06-08, 12:52 PM
i think your smoking but i like the dream

Kmajecki
08-06-08, 12:54 PM
Yea the cutout thing would be sweet! also I've always desired having a custom startup screen. Let me know when you figure it out!! haha

MauiV
08-06-08, 12:56 PM
Anything is possible with enough money.

Doctornick
08-06-08, 01:22 PM
I'm no electrical engineer but I play one on tv. Thats why I was interested to see if anyone else has approached this. It might be as simple as a new ECM piggybacked before the ECM that controls the headunit. So the inputs are going to the new ecm and deciding to let the old ECM do its stuff or show a new input. I don't know, the stuff I am smokeing is pretty nice..ha! I'm gonna start talking to some EEs and see if they have any ideas. Sure with enough money you can do anything, but I would like to know if its anywhere close to possible with something as simple as a piggyback into the harness.

JD03Cobra
08-06-08, 01:26 PM
Great suggestions but at this point i'm more interested in improving the stock sound. It's below average at best...my wife's tauras X stock radio sounds like $20,000 sound system compared to the V.

heavymetals
08-06-08, 02:03 PM
Search is your friend.

The "best scenario" I could come up with is to share the screen with a computer and touch screen overlay (Reed's idea).

This can be done because the screen is an RGB input.

We got SCREWED when they integrated the driving functions with the radio/nav.
(you know that already)

My friend does software (I do hardware) but his rate for reinterpreting the communication between the radio and the PCM is cost prohibitive.

Kind of funny that one can modify the crap out of most everything on the car except for the Delco/BOSE junk.

Doctornick
08-06-08, 02:53 PM
Thanks, I'll start searching and see what else pops up from former discussions. I know 2 people that are professional reverse engineers for reworking performance car ecus. While I know its not the same, its similar type of work. They have both offered to give advice but for them to do the work, is like you said, cost prohibitive. Because of the limited quantity of enthusiasts that could be interested in the product, it would really be expensive to do.

The idea of adding a touch screen would be really really nice. At that point though, it almost seems like the whole unit and screen would be ripped out infavor of a incar computer entertainment system.

I need to get my hands on some diagrams...

thanks for all the input fellas.

heavymetals
08-06-08, 04:29 PM
FYI and FWIW I have been told that the radio/nav operating system is Windows CE.

Doctornick
08-06-08, 05:48 PM
FYI and FWIW I have been told that the radio/nav operating system is Windows CE.

your teasing me right?

Wonder how you could port into the system...

whisler151
08-06-08, 07:04 PM
It's below average at best...my wife's tauras X stock radio sounds like $20,000 sound system compared to the V.

No joke! Our tech guy has a 2005 Malibu and its base stock stereo is way better than mine. :banghead:

At least the V is fast.

heavymetals
08-06-08, 08:09 PM
The nav firmware flash obviously opens the system up for reprogramming.

Seriously, I think you would be better off using this:

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/A/B-Switch-RGB-Format-Video-p-33608.html

or if you want to build your own:

http://parts.digikey.ca/1/1/46383-ic-rgb-video-switch-16-pin-dip-max470epe.html

That does the video interface so you could interface to a remote computer and integrate a USB touch pad overlay for the screen.

Then all you need is software. :rolleyes:

The project will cost as much as the car......:eek:

V u later
08-07-08, 11:23 AM

I respectfully, and maybe ignorantly, disagree since you can use the IR port to beam contact and address info in but it only supports the Palm OS format - which is particularly irritating to me since I have a Palm device running the Windows OS.

Doctornick
08-09-08, 04:08 PM
Can anyone guide me in some search keywords to find out more about modifying the V's radio?

heavymetals
08-09-08, 04:43 PM
Check out the faq's.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/

whisler151
08-09-08, 07:38 PM
Can anyone guide me in some search keywords to find out more about modifying the V's radio?

Talk to GMBOUND...he has a bad ass stereo in his V.

ssmith100
08-09-08, 08:07 PM
You mean like this.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/133152-stereo-complete-new-pics.html

S

mbiker97
08-10-08, 02:57 PM
Nick: Let me have my people talk to their people and I'll see what I can find out.

whisler151
08-10-08, 04:29 PM
Talk to GMBOUND...he has a bad ass stereo in his V.

Oh yeah...so does SSmith100. My bad.:thepan: