: Securing sub box

Natedog
08-05-08, 04:42 PM
I've got a Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 that i'm looking to get into the V in the near future (powered by 340watt MTX amp). It currently resides in a square 1.25cu ft box but i may design a wider and taller, but much 'less deep' box in an effort to not take up as much space in the trunk of the V. (gotta fit my golf clubs at all times). Another route i've seen a few guys do it mount it free air in place of the factory sub; however, i got a feeling it'll be more work and won't hit as hard as i want it to. So if i go the box route, how the heck do i secure the thing so its not going all over the place ???

perfect
08-05-08, 05:28 PM
I used 1.5" x 1.5" right angle connectors on the front of the box (4 in total on the front, but mine is a dual 12" box). and for the rear I used 1/32" pipe hanging steel (because my box has a slanted rear), which was used in a very similar fashion as the right angle connectors.

I used 1/2" screws on the actual floor (this will allow the screws to pull into the sheet metal without penetrating the subframe...or even worse the gas tank). And 1-1/2" screws into the sub box.

Although, if your box isn't too heavy you'd be surprised how easily a wide swath of velcro from Home Depot will hold the sub box down.

I chose to mount mine with more traditional hardware as a theft prevention measure. I also have some secret ways of mounting the box that theives won't be able to figure out even if they unscrew all of the right angle connectors. PM me for details.

Natedog
08-05-08, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I've gone the velcro route before in my old car but it let loose after awhile and ended up slightly lifting the material of the trunk floor so i'm probably looking to try something different