: Starting Problems- 95 SLS

kdybread
06-10-04, 05:16 PM
a new problem is that sometimes it takes my ignition a good 4-5 seconds to turnover..it happens randomly...not specifically when it's warm or cold. It always starts, but sometimes it just chokes for a few seconds.

I don't need to give it any gas or anything..it just turns over when it feels like it...then sometimes, it fires up with no delay.

Any help?

caddyshack24
06-11-04, 01:02 AM
im no mechanic but i'd think it was something to do with your ignition and/or spark plugs.. maybe the starter, loose wire. how many miles do you have on the car?

kdybread
06-16-04, 03:29 PM
im no mechanic but i'd think it was something to do with your ignition and/or spark plugs.. maybe the starter, loose wire. how many miles do you have on the car?
I have about 125,000 miles on it.

zonie77
06-16-04, 04:30 PM
Do you mean the starter spins but the engine doesn't start or the starter doesn't turn the engine over?

If the starter spins right away but the engine doesn't fire check the Fuel Pressure Regulator first.

kdybread
06-16-04, 05:36 PM
Do you mean the starter spins but the engine doesn't start or the starter doesn't turn the engine over?

If the starter spins right away but the engine doesn't fire check the Fuel Pressure Regulator first.
:hmm: I wouldn't know teh difference between the two things you just described.

All I know is that I turn the key..it immediately gives off a choking sound for about 4-6 seconds and then it'll start up...I think it's that the starter doesn't turn the engine over..immediately...it does sometimes though.

eldorado1
06-16-04, 06:23 PM
:hmm: I wouldn't know teh difference between the two things you just described.

All I know is that I turn the key..it immediately gives off a choking sound for about 4-6 seconds and then it'll start up...I think it's that the starter doesn't turn the engine over..immediately...it does sometimes though.
does it go whhhIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRR.. and sound like a drill? Or make horrible grinding noises? Then the starter isn't engaging. But from the sounds of it, it's turning over, but it takes a bit of time for it to chug to life? From past suggestions on this forum, I'd suggest taking a look at the fuel pressure regulator.

zonie77
06-16-04, 06:39 PM
OK, I think you'll have to take it to a mechanic.

cadillacstars
06-17-04, 01:04 AM
the regulator is definately something to look into. However; I had a similar problem with my '95 STS. only happened cold though. it turned out to be a leaking intake manifold gasket. the only sure-fire way i have found to isolate that problem was to pull the intake and inspect the gasket and intake runners. As for the fuel pressure regulator, remove the engine cover (4 13mm plastic bolts), remove the vacuum line from the regulator, put a vacuum pump on the regulator. pull about 20in of vacuum on it if it holds vacuum its good if not its bad. similar testing can be done with a piece of vacuum hose and your mouth. dont suck too hard though because if it leaks you'll get gas in your mouth:canttalk: . also look, smell the vacuum port and hose for gas. if there is gas in the hose it leaks replace it. some places i have seen only sold the regulator as part of the fuel rail assy.. But it is available seperately from the dealer.

kdybread
08-12-04, 11:01 AM
the regulator is definately something to look into. However; I had a similar problem with my '95 STS. only happened cold though. it turned out to be a leaking intake manifold gasket. the only sure-fire way i have found to isolate that problem was to pull the intake and inspect the gasket and intake runners. As for the fuel pressure regulator, remove the engine cover (4 13mm plastic bolts), remove the vacuum line from the regulator, put a vacuum pump on the regulator. pull about 20in of vacuum on it if it holds vacuum its good if not its bad. similar testing can be done with a piece of vacuum hose and your mouth. dont suck too hard though because if it leaks you'll get gas in your mouth:canttalk: . also look, smell the vacuum port and hose for gas. if there is gas in the hose it leaks replace it. some places i have seen only sold the regulator as part of the fuel rail assy.. But it is available seperately from the dealer.

They just had that recall for the fuel rail assembly...could this be the problem..if so, that would be great..I'll be able to get it fixed for free.