: 97 deville wireing question???

mitchjagger
08-02-08, 03:10 AM
Hi, I Have a 97 deville and I recently bought some pioneer speakers to put in the doors. I wired the speakers in the back doors in parallel with the ones in the front doors and it sounds amazing. However I was talking to one of the guys that installs car audio where I work and he said in doing this I was lowering the impedance from 4ohms to 2ohms and because of this my deck would be throwing more power than it can handle and likely fry. He said I would have to throw in a amp for either the front or rear channels or both to prevent this from happening. Is he right about this? and I dont really want to have to buy an amp so is there a way with wiring in some resistors or something to put it back up to 4ohms?

still_walkin
08-02-08, 09:31 AM
hes right bout the ohms but the speaker overpowering the radio nope, the speakers can be broking by its source they just relase a signal . basically your just cutting your music in hal by doing that either get an amp or get a radio that has more than 4 channels .

mitchjagger
08-02-08, 12:59 PM
so i dont have to worry about frying the stereo? And I wired them in parallel, not series.

still_walkin
08-02-08, 01:07 PM
No not likey it just make your radio work harder cause your power double or half double speakers that you have connected so you'll have thermal heat fronm the reciever. I don't kno wht you have connectd to it I'm going based on wht you wrote. To be on the safe side get a bigger radio or drop the xtra speakers or get a small amp. To put it inpersctive. If you did the same thing to an amp you'll have thermal heat to but it will over work it but blown in idk never happend to me I always wire stuff right according to the factory specs not the shop cuz they say you need a specail adapter from china and its gonna cost an arm and a leg and only a midget can get it for you and they have the midget so don't take the shops first word. Do your homework before you darken the door

mitchjagger
08-02-08, 01:37 PM
so what if i wired a 2ohm resitor to each of my speakers, the the total impedance should be 3 ohms. and I have these speakers in all 4 doors, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8698643&type=product&id=1199494465777

still_walkin
08-02-08, 08:30 PM
It depends how your factory radio was setup was it bose of not. So you have speakers in the doors and the dash so that makes 8 total right if that Is the case yeah your radio is working twice as hard because your demanding a certain taste of music. I would add another amp a 75watt x4 and you should be good. But in my case I don't wire any speaker to my cause once the internal amp on your reveicer is gone ur screwed

mitchjagger
08-02-08, 10:39 PM
my deck is non bose and I have the 5.25in pioneer speakers in all 4 doors and the 2 stock 6x9s in the rear shelf. none in the dash. so total i have 6 speakers

still_walkin
08-02-08, 10:58 PM
Usually devilles that have more than 4 spekalers are bose did you install you radio . If you did , did it have 2 sets of speaker wires or 3

mitchjagger
08-03-08, 03:39 AM
its a stock stereo so it has the front right channel, front left channel, rear left channel, and rear right channel. I wired the rear doors in parallel with the front left and front right channels. my car came with 4 speakers and I put in 2 more.

still_walkin
08-03-08, 03:53 AM
K to put this in perspective have you ever wired a speaker up to a radio and its loud but not enough so you add another or two speakers to the same channel. Now it sounds louder but the speakers cone doesn't move like the one did by itsself so you crank it up more. So now it sounds right . So you have your radio work harder and it heats up. So basically you can do it and moderate music levels but high now you got thermal heat from your reciever. So if you have a taste for loud music get a small amp for the two speakers and call it a day or watch the level you keep your radio at good luck.

mitchjagger
08-03-08, 11:53 AM
ok, thanks