: Aftermarket Fuel Pump?

2003RC51
08-01-08, 07:39 PM
I'm not changing the pump yet, but I am kinda curious what pumps we have. Will a walboro 340 bolt up or do we have something completely different. I looked through the FAQ and searched on here but could not come up with much.

Thanks.

RGRATTAN
08-01-08, 08:10 PM
Nope...

Well it'll work for a couple hours until it burns out.

The 340 is a 255LPH pump designed for a return style fuel system unfortunately the V has a returnless system so it is not compatible.

rand49er
08-01-08, 09:05 PM
Whuddaya need a bigger one for?

Got FI?

EDIT: Guess I was a little presumptuous that you needed a "bigger" one. Oops!

2003RC51
08-02-08, 10:35 AM
Just have some mods in the works. I just don't want to run out of fuel when i get to where i am going.

So what fuel pumps are out there for us? I just want an in tank setup, and if some fab work is required its not a problem.

rand49er
08-02-08, 11:23 AM
Stock fuel pump here with no Magnavolt (boost-a-pump) with 60 lb/hr injectors. I am absolutely at the limit of the stock fuel pump (fuel pressure was down to 30 psi at about 6400 RPM on the dyno and A/F was going above 12:1). I'm thinking of a 2.6" pulley but can't do it unless I'm willing to install a Magnavolt (:annoyed:) or go to an aftermarket fuel pump.

What mods are you contemplating?

v-sam
08-02-08, 12:02 PM
It would be nice to have one that works better on the track...

NormV
08-02-08, 03:46 PM
That would use some major baffling. Not something you could retrofit. Besides you'd loose capacity.

Norm

It would be nice to have one that works better on the track...

2003RC51
08-02-08, 04:00 PM
Right now I have:

Kooks 1 7/8 Headers
No Cats
B&B Exhaust w' X-Pipe
CAI

Next month:

Nitrous
Tune

I have EFI Live and the nitrous setup, I'm just waiting on some fittings before I can install them. Cam should be shortly after that.

Couple more months:

Intake
TB
Cam
Re-Tune

Stock fuel pump here with no Magnavolt (boost-a-pump) with 60 lb/hr injectors. I am absolutely at the limit of the stock fuel pump (fuel pressure was down to 30 psi at about 6400 RPM on the dyno and A/F was going above 12:1). I'm thinking of a 2.6" pulley but can't do it unless I'm willing to install a Magnavolt (:annoyed:) or go to an aftermarket fuel pump.

What mods are you contemplating?

ctsv154
08-02-08, 04:55 PM
Stock pump will more than handle what you have listed. Unless you are going F/I than I wouldn't worry about pump. Good injectors will handle anything you have listed and more.

rand49er
08-02-08, 06:17 PM
Stock pump will more than handle what you have listed. Unless you are going F/I than I wouldn't worry about pump. Good injectors will handle anything you have listed and more.Not sure about nitrous, myself. What if he put in a $hitload of nitrous (e.g. a 200 shot)? Wouldn't he need a heap more fuel to keep A/F reasonable (11:1 to 12:1 range) and possibly run out of the fuel the stock pump provides? I'd think anything from about a 150 shot and lower he'd be okay.

(I REALLY don't know to be perfectly honest. Just trying to understand it better myself.)

ctsv154
08-02-08, 08:37 PM
Not sure about nitrous, myself. What if he put in a $hitload of nitrous (e.g. a 200 shot)? Wouldn't he need a heap more fuel to keep A/F reasonable (11:1 to 12:1 range) and possibly run out of the fuel the stock pump provides? I'd think anything from about a 150 shot and lower he'd be okay.

(I REALLY don't know to be perfectly honest. Just trying to understand it better myself.)

Well personally I wouldn't go over 150 on a stock bottom end and with our pistons. He never said he was going to do any internal work other than cam so thats kinda what I went by. But yeah a 200 shot would require more fuel but I'm not much of a nitrous guy so I cant tell you if the stocker could do it or not. But to run a 200 shot reliably he would also need a well built bottom end.

rand49er
08-02-08, 10:10 PM
^^ Yup.

1badjimmy
08-02-08, 10:45 PM
Nope...

Well it'll work for a couple hours until it burns out.

The 340 is a 255LPH pump designed for a return style fuel system unfortunately the V has a returnless system so it is not compatible.

I believe the V has a return style fuel system. If you look at the fuel filter there are two lines on the feed side. One of those lines is the return because the filter has a pressure regulator inside of it. To me it looks very similar to the C5/6 vette filter. A lot of guys swapping in LSx motors into S-10s use that filter because the fuel rail only has an inlet.

2003RC51
08-03-08, 11:30 AM
I will be starting with a 100 and eventually making my way up to 200 and possibly a 250. As long as you use the nitrous correctly and safely I dont see it hurting the bottom end immediately. A new engine is inevitable for me anyways, i just want to see what it will do up to that point. I have the FJO controller so I am going to ramp up the nitrous very gently and not shock the engine or rear too much and I will also be running a c10 mix most the time.

I will basically be running 125 around the street and only use the 200-250 on rare occasions.

On a side note I have seen some LS1 cars on 350 worth of nitrous using stock bottom ends. Is it reliable no, but what the hell.

rand49er
08-03-08, 02:26 PM
Looking into my crystal ball, I see a new diff in your future.

2003RC51
08-03-08, 03:08 PM
I figure its probably about my time for a new rear anyways. I have about 42000 "spirited" miles on this one and still no whine. The fluid hasn't even been changed in it. Figure if I did change it, thats when it would let go.

RGRATTAN
08-04-08, 03:20 PM
I believe the V has a return style fuel system. If you look at the fuel filter there are two lines on the feed side. One of those lines is the return because the filter has a pressure regulator inside of it. To me it looks very similar to the C5/6 vette filter. A lot of guys swapping in LSx motors into S-10s use that filter because the fuel rail only has an inlet.

If this was the case I would be excited but unfortunately it is just not so.
You are right in saying that the filter has a return in it but is not a fuel pressure regulator by any means.

CTS-V = Returnless system as in almost every car on the market since early 2000.

Not sure how the intake setup is in the V but theoretically you could use two of the stock V pumps. A tune would obviously be absolutely mandatory since two pumps with the stock voltage would be a lot of fuel but I think it could be done.

This would be a good question for the StealthV and if he could tune around this.