: Dealer changing pads...

ozdemir23
07-31-08, 12:27 AM
So i take my v into the dealer today for brakes to be looked at and other warranty stuff (schepel), and they said i need all new pads all around after about 4 hours of looking everything over. Rotors are fine (within spec) so just pads, rear and front - to the tune of $600 parts and labor! I was thinking about it afterwards that you guys change both front and rear pads & rotors in about 2 hours. So, he told me the OEM pads are 99 for the front and 99 for the rears - so 400 for labor!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pads are so easy to replace - i just can not let the existing pads stay on any longer. the other thing is that I just have absolutely NO TIME to do it myself. So, i guess i am biting the bullet but this one hurts bad.

The other thing is that i asked him to look at the corsa exhaust and "guide" me as to what the extreme baffle noise is, and they said they couldn't help me. not surprised, but was hoping for some guidance. maybe skullv can help me when he gets back, but just don't want anymore damage to the underbelly than their already is with the low clamps.

thebigjimsho
07-31-08, 12:51 AM
I suggest you go back there and have them take apart one wheel an pads and ask them to explain...

NormV
07-31-08, 01:18 AM
More like need pads...

Norm

thebigjimsho
07-31-08, 04:11 AM
More like need pads...

NormYou're so damn cryptic...

benelliwang
07-31-08, 04:52 AM
I don't understand stealerships at all, the brembo's are even more easier to swap pads than typical brakes: you don't even have to remove the calipers, just pop the retaining clips and the pads fall right out. To charge that much labor is just retarded. I am so glad I never take any of my cars to any car shops.

thebigjimsho
07-31-08, 07:11 AM
I change pads when I go to the track. If it took me 4 hours to do that, I'd be spending about 90% of my time changing pads, instead of 90% of my time beating Norm around the track...

smoothmarine187
07-31-08, 08:11 AM
So i take my v into the dealer today for brakes to be looked at and other warranty stuff (schepel), and they said i need all new pads all around after about 4 hours of looking everything over. Rotors are fine (within spec) so just pads, rear and front - to the tune of $600 parts and labor! I was thinking about it afterwards that you guys change both front and rear pads & rotors in about 2 hours. So, he told me the OEM pads are 99 for the front and 99 for the rears - so 400 for labor!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pads are so easy to replace - i just can not let the existing pads stay on any longer. the other thing is that I just have absolutely NO TIME to do it myself. So, i guess i am biting the bullet but this one hurts bad.

The other thing is that i asked him to look at the corsa exhaust and "guide" me as to what the extreme baffle noise is, and they said they couldn't help me. not surprised, but was hoping for some guidance. maybe skullv can help me when he gets back, but just don't want anymore damage to the underbelly than their already is with the low clamps.

You gotta love the stealership. I can't imagine it taking more than an 1 and a half and that's taking your time and using a floor jack. The dealership probably knocks it out in about 45 minutes. I haven't changed the brakes on my V yet, but I'm sure it's no different than my Evo was.

Lindsay Cadillac
07-31-08, 08:28 AM
Factory warranty time to replace the pads, front or rear, is 0.8 hours so that would be 1.6 hours total time for front and rear. Alldata says retail time to replace the pads, front or rear, is 1.3 hours so that would be 2.6 hours total time for front and rear. 2.5 times warranty time and over 1.5 times recommended retail time seems extremely high.

It's possible that the technician was giving a "standard" quote for the brake job, thinking he was going to be removing the calipers and machining the rotors. This isn't necessary on the V and I would not recommend machining the rotors unless you specifically have a vibration/pulsation issue when you are braking...

You might want to talk to the dealer rep again and say that you just want the pads replaced and you know that it's easier to do on the V then most cars and that it only pays 2.6 hours to replace pads only and see if he will work with you.

Good luck...

JD03Cobra
07-31-08, 09:22 AM
Swaping them out is easy but don't you have to bleed the brakes? I will learn how to do it before I spend $600 for pads.

ozdemir23
07-31-08, 10:58 AM
Well, they are surfacing rotors even though i asked them if they needed it. he said they do it because they know the previous pads will wear the rotors some, and they don't want me coming back with pulsation with the new pads. Plus they will make sure the calipers are smoothly operating (not sticking open/closed). Anyway, i succombed (word?) to the dealer talk because they were also taking care of a lot of warranty work that was probably due to user wear and tear (previous owner) and not warranty related. So, i guess i am trying to convince myself that this is not "stealership" work, but honest work. I think so....

CIWS
07-31-08, 11:25 AM
I had my front rotors replaced (to cross drilled) and ask the dealership how much they would charge me to replace the pads with Hawk Pads ( I provided) while they were in there. They charged 40.00

ozdemir23
07-31-08, 12:01 PM
Thanks. I didn't need to "hear" that. I am still convincing myself that this is reasonable.

smoothmarine187
07-31-08, 12:32 PM
Swaping them out is easy but don't you have to bleed the brakes? I will learn how to do it before I spend $600 for pads.

Unless you are draining the brake fluid, there is no reason to bleed the brakes.

darkman
07-31-08, 01:59 PM
[quote=ozdemir23;1593421]Thanks. I didn't need to "hear" that. I am still convincing myself that this is reasonable.[/quote

I would consider $600 reasonable at my dealership based on the list price of pads (about $318.00) and their hourly rate of $107. I suspect that brake replacement is one of the more profitable jobs for the dealership, but since I want them to be there for warranty work and low profit troubleshooting jobs that does not bother me.