: Clunk/rattle from Hotchkis, FG2, Z06 endlinks?

Twitch
07-29-08, 10:40 PM
Did anybody have the Hotchkis swaybar rub against the shock? With the weight of the car on the wheels, the bar touches that "skirt" looking ring on the shock. Right side rubs, and the left has VERY little clearance. I might try to move it over, but I'm sure its not enough room. I'm thinking about filing the "skirt" down a bit.
Its really driving me nuts. When I hit a few bumps, it sounds like something's loose. Or like I have a bad shock. Its not the shocks.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/15.jpg

BTW the car handles great with the new suspension. :thumbsup:
Thanks

Tony

thebigjimsho
07-29-08, 10:55 PM
I'll have to go back and look at some past threads. My brain is on full header/UUC installation mode...

CTSV_510
07-29-08, 11:06 PM
Do your sways have the collars on them? The older sets from hotchkis were made without the collars like the stock ones have, which prevented them from moving laterally and coming into contact with the thicker FG2s. The used set I bought didn't have them, but Drew @ Hotchkis has a set of the collars on the way to me.

I'm also not lowered (yet) so maybe that's why I haven't had a problem yet.

faylix
07-30-08, 12:27 AM
My hotchkis bar started rubbing against my FG2's every time I hit a bump or turned the wheel too far. I brought it over to the local suspension shop and the guy adjusted my end links, tightend em up, and sent me on my way - no bump.

I had already called hotchkis and complained so much they shipped me a BOX full of parts too... turns out all it needed was a little adjustment.

-J

rand49er
07-30-08, 06:05 AM
Tony, not sure if this is what you're talking about, but we had the clunk problem a couple of years ago before the Hots bar came with collars. The front bar would drift sideways and encounter the shock on one side or the other. Here's that thread ...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/76062-hotchkis-clunk.html

atdeneve
07-30-08, 09:33 AM
They will contact that metal weld on the FG2s whenever you jack up and, subsequently, lower the car. However, when the vehicle is on the ground, it shouldn't persistently be in contact with the shocks. You should be able to adjust/center it a bit so that you don't have that happening. Whether it touches it on occasion is another matter, however, I think the collars should keep em clear of it. I don't think I've yet experienced any contact while the vehicle was on the ground, but I guess there's really no way to know, unless it made some kind of audible clunking.

Twitch
07-30-08, 09:45 AM
Well, I'm up to page 7 of that thread (super long :banghead:). Thanks Randy, that's exactly what i was looking for.
Got my bars over the winter, but they did not come with collars.
I knew the clearance was different when you jack up the car, so I had it on ramps. The bar doesn't seem to touch the body of the shock. It hits that skirt near the bottom (pic above). One side is touching, the other has maybe 1/8", maybe less.
I'll get to the end of the thread before I do anything. But what do you guys think about filing down the skirt a bit, and maybe the bar just a little?

ichpen
07-30-08, 10:25 AM
Never seen this before. I have FG2s and Hotchkis. Always thought the Hotchkis were the same length as the stock sway bars. No rattling of any kind. I'll check clearance as best as I can without jacking the car.

Twitch
07-30-08, 11:27 AM
Never seen this before. I have FG2s and Hotchkis. Always thought the Hotchkis were the same length as the stock sway bars. No rattling of any kind. I'll check clearance as best as I can without jacking the car.
I know you can get to them by turning the wheel all the way. Not sure if that would affect clearance though.

Still reading Randys thread and left a message with Drew.
Anybody with new ones have the collars come with them. Got mine January without the collars. :mad:

CTSV_510
07-30-08, 11:56 AM
Drew responded the same day to the email I sent him and just had a couple questions about the bars that I got before he took my address to ship me the hardware. This was a week or so ago so the cts-v issue should be fresh in his mind. ;)

Twitch
07-30-08, 12:09 PM
Drew responded the same day to the email I sent him and just had a couple questions about the bars that I got before he took my address to ship me the hardware. This was a week or so ago so the cts-v issue should be fresh in his mind. ;)
Cool, I'm waiting for a call-back.
Stiiiillll reading that long-a$$ thread :bighead:

Twitch
07-30-08, 12:23 PM
Tony, not sure if this is what you're talking about, but we had the clunk problem a couple of years ago before the Hots bar came with collars. The front bar would drift sideways and encounter the shock on one side or the other. Here's that thread ...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/76062-hotchkis-clunk.html
FINALLY read the whole thing. You couldn't just say it was the brackets?!!! :p
I happen to have extra brackets at home. I'll put the washers on also.
If drew calls me back, I'll ask for another set of brackets, along with the collars.
Thanks

Tony

ichpen
07-30-08, 12:36 PM
Fronts have a lot of clearance as they go over the front of the FG2 shock. Can't really check the rears without going under the car...

Bueller
07-30-08, 12:39 PM
Please keep us updated. I have been having the same problem with my GM sways. I found collars but the OD is too large and I haven't milled them yet. I think some of my noise may be the adjustable end links, so I will try to go back to the stock ones.

rand49er
07-30-08, 01:33 PM
FINALLY read the whole thing. You couldn't just say it was the brackets?!!! :p ...:hide: Never heard of the bar hitting a "skirt," so I wasn't sure if the thread applied or not. :D

At the time of the thread, mine was hitting the shock housing. Called Drew, and he sent out the brackets. Put 'em on and haven't had any clunking since. (BTW, Florian did a follow-up thread that got almost as long.)

If yours is hitting a "skirt" on one side, it must have extra clearance on the other side. Does it? If so, centering the bar, then installing the brackets should fix you up. :thumbsup:

Twitch
07-30-08, 02:05 PM
:hide: Never heard of the bar hitting a "skirt," so I wasn't sure if the thread applied or not. :D

At the time of the thread, mine was hitting the shock housing. Called Drew, and he sent out the brackets. Put 'em on and haven't had any clunking since. (BTW, Florian did a follow-up thread that got almost as long.)

If yours is hitting a "skirt" on one side, it must have extra clearance on the other side. Does it? If so, centering the bar, then installing the brackets should fix you up. :thumbsup:
I'm sure its the same thing. When you had this problem, most of you didn't have GC and Z06 end links. I think that's why mine are hitting lower.
The other side has "extra clearance" but not much. I'll move it over, but I doubt it will help. Hope I have time to take a better look at the bracket tonight.
I'm actually a little excited about fixing it, cuz I really hate having my car feel ratty.

Oh yeah, I put the Fatmat in the trunk. No smell in the car, but not the results I was looking for (still get the whine). I'll let you know when I do under the back seat.

rand49er
07-30-08, 04:34 PM
I'm sure its the same thing. When you had this problem, most of you didn't have GC and Z06 end links. I think that's why mine are hitting lower.
The other side has "extra clearance" but not much. I'll move it over, but I doubt it will help. Hope I have time to take a better look at the bracket tonight.
I'm actually a little excited about fixing it, cuz I really hate having my car feel ratty.

Oh yeah, I put the Fatmat in the trunk. No smell in the car, but not the results I was looking for (still get the whine). I'll let you know when I do under the back seat.How low are you in the front that you "doubt it will help"? :hmm: You're probably quite correct about the reason yours is hitting the "skirt" while ours hit higher on the shock ... good one!

Also, I'd think that Fatmat under the back seat will make more of a difference than the trunk ... just a guess, but I'm anxious to hear about the degree of improvement.

Dennisscars
07-30-08, 10:58 PM
Maybe I missed it, but did you get the updated "reinforced" mounts? The first ones after a few hard track days bowed up to the limits of the mounting slots letting the bar bang up and down. It was tough to find if you only raised up one wheel. I had to raise both wheels free and yank bar up and down. Seems like there was some pics around here someplace..

Mine never did shift or rub anywhere else..

Twitch
07-31-08, 05:05 AM
Maybe I missed it, but did you get the updated "reinforced" mounts? The first ones after a few hard track days bowed up to the limits of the mounting slots letting the bar bang up and down. It was tough to find if you only raised up one wheel. I had to raise both wheels free and yank bar up and down. Seems like there was some pics around here someplace..

Mine never did shift or rub anywhere else..
I got my kit this January. But I think it was sitting on the shelf for a couple years, cuz it didn't come with collars on the bar. I do have another set of mounts, so I can just put those on for now. Randy had some luck with the washers, so I'll do that also.
Thanks

Tony

thebigjimsho
07-31-08, 06:13 AM
I got my kit this January. But I think it was sitting on the shelf for a couple years, cuz it didn't come with collars on the bar. I do have another set of mounts, so I can just put those on for now. Randy had some luck with the washers, so I'll do that also.
Thanks

TonyGo to bed. No, wait, that's what I should do...

Twitch
07-31-08, 06:32 AM
Go to bed. No, wait, that's what I should do...
Actually, I got up a lil early.

Dennisscars
08-01-08, 12:02 AM
The new ones have some triangle web pieces welded to reinforce the hump to the leg. Previous are just pressed steel. If you don't have them give them a call they'll hook you up.

Twitch
08-01-08, 08:13 AM
Took it apart last night. The clunk is gone, but I'm no where near finished with it.
Few things to think about:
1. The brackets are the updated ones. No collar on the bar, but the brackets are fine.
2. Found a loose nut on the right side end link (the side making noise). Could it have been that simple??? Not a lot of play on that enlink. After drilling the hole, I have to thread the bolt into the bar. I cant see it making that much noise. It sounded just like a bad shock.
3. On Randys old thread, they jacked up the car and had a little bit of room between the bar and shock. With the Z06 end links, the bar was pushing against my FG2s. No way your moving that bar with the suspension hanging.
4. with the car on ramps last week, right side bar was touching the shock and left side had VERY little clearance. Last night with the car on the ground, with one stock endlink (see bellow) I had plenty of room to put a finger between the bar and shock.

I tried everything, and it drove me nuts.
Fed up, I decided to put the stock end links in. One of them broke (bolt came off) while I was putting it in. It was that kind of night :banghead:. So I have one Z06 n one stock endlink on the car. I'll drive it around like this a couple days, then put in the other Z06 endlink. I'm hoping it was the loose nut. If not, then I have to buy the adjustable endlinks on ebay. They're about $160, so if anybody knows of a better place to get them, let me know.

Maybe its just me, but this car goes to extremes. A little clunking, and its just not fun to drive. But when it right....it feels so good :cloud9:.

Long post :hide:

rand49er
08-01-08, 02:05 PM
Geez, Tony, not sure what to say ...

I know the clearance between the Hots bar and the shock (or whatever) is tight, but I never get that clunk anymore now that I installed the collars Drew sent me.

Again, how low are you? Could it be that you're actually too low and that's why it's hitting? As a point of reference, I'm maybe 3/4" lower than stock on the fronts. Yeah, I know, I might be reaching a bit here, but just don't understand. :confused:

Oh, and sorry 'bout your broken endlink.

Say, on a side note, did you have a tough time getting the Z06 endlinks on? I found them to be harder than getting the dipstick back in after the Kooks install. :rant2:

Twitch
08-01-08, 02:23 PM
Geez, Tony, not sure what to say ...

I know the clearance between the Hots bar and the shock (or whatever) is tight, but I never get that clunk anymore now that I installed the collars Drew sent me.

Again, how low are you? Could it be that you're actually too low and that's why it's hitting? As a point of reference, I'm maybe 3/4" lower than stock on the fronts. Yeah, I know, I might be reaching a bit here, but just don't understand. :confused:

Oh, and sorry 'bout your broken endlink.

Say, on a side note, did you have a tough time getting the Z06 endlinks on? I found them to be harder than getting the dipstick back in after the Kooks install. :rant2:
I'm right about 27" all around. That's with 255/45 tires.
Hopefully it was just that loose nut. If not, I think I'll be fine with the adjustable endlinks.
Not too much trouble with the Z06 endlinks. Just did what you said, and jacked up the control arm. They don't just slide through. I have to force them, or just thread them in.

atdeneve
08-02-08, 05:51 PM
Maybe its just me, but this car goes to extremes. A little clunking, and its just not fun to drive. But when it right....it feels so good :cloud9:.

It's definitely not you. The V can be utterly frustrating like that. Drives you crazy with the little niggles one moment, but is then oh-so-un-fcuking-believable the next. Just comes with the territory of the Vadge, I guess.

atdeneve
08-02-08, 06:01 PM
The difference in height due to your sidewall (255/45/18 vs 245/45/18) would be a bit over .35 inches. Assuming you'd still be a good bit over 26 1/2 inches, if you were on stock size tires, I don't think it would be your lower stance that's the problem, cuz, last time I checked, I was at about 26 1/8 to 26 1/4 inches.

Even with a loose nut, it may be extremely hard to get any kind of play on the sway bar by pushing and pulling on it, but the weight of the vehicle is gonna be much more persuasive in getting that thing to move. Hopefully it's that, cuz nothing sucks more than having to keep on moving down to the next thing on the checklist.

thebigjimsho
08-03-08, 08:53 PM
Truck tires.

Twitch
08-04-08, 01:17 PM
Truck tires.
Great. Thanks for all your help Jim. ;)
I put the Z06 endlinks back on and drove it around last night with no clunk. I thought it might have just been that the sway bar needed to be centered. But obviously, according to Big Jim, I was wrong. :banghead:

Twitch
08-04-08, 06:33 PM
Drew just called. Took him a few days, but he's sending the collars.

thebigjimsho
08-04-08, 11:19 PM
I didn't install the GC or Hotchkis. And I had mine installed, post-issues.

Truck tires.

CTSV_510
08-05-08, 03:59 PM
Ok guys, I received a box from Hotchkis today. The only things in the box were two flat metal (spacers?) shaped like an H and two small washers.

I don't see collars. What are the collars supposed to look like?

Twitch
08-05-08, 04:56 PM
Ok guys, I received a box from Hotchkis today. The only things in the box were two flat metal (spacers?) shaped like an H and two small washers.

I don't see collars. What are the collars supposed to look like?
Randy posted a pic of it on his old thread.
Go to the first page on thid thread for the link. Then check the last few pages of his thread for the pic of the collar/
Mine are on the way. Hope its all there.

rand49er
08-05-08, 05:18 PM
... check the last few pages of his thread for the pic of the collar ....What? You don't want him to read the whole thing? :thepan:

CTSV_510
08-05-08, 06:10 PM
Randy posted a pic of it on his old thread.
Go to the first page on thid thread for the link. Then check the last few pages of his thread for the pic of the collar/
Mine are on the way. Hope its all there.

What? You don't want him to read the whole thing? :thepan:

Thanks guys ... just confirmed ... I didn't recieve the collars. :banghead:

Calling Drew...

Talked to Drew - he's send me another package tomorrow. :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
08-05-08, 11:38 PM
The Hotchkis bars may have needed some extras to make work properly, but if you talk to Drew, they seem to jump at the chance to make things right. Without a question, they send these parts.

I was pleased working with them...

rand49er
08-06-08, 06:40 AM
:yeah:

Twitch
08-06-08, 07:07 AM
^^^ Yeah them