: Aftermarket Navigation Swap

MOCTS-V
07-29-08, 11:26 PM
Has anyone successfully swaped out their POS factory Navigation for an aftermarket Unit. It seems like we have to spend so much money to get our IPOD and Bluetooth to work and they still dont work the way that we know they should. Why not swap out the oem unit for a much more sophisticated system such as an Alpine or Kenwood. Would we loose all of our functions that are on the factory Navigation? I think I might bite the bullet and give it a shot depending on what some of you experts think.

heavymetals
07-30-08, 01:16 AM
Search is your friend.

Because the nav unit is in the loop of the PCM you lose some driving options if you disconnect it.

There are some RGB switches so in theory the display could be swapped to another input (computer).

Reed was working on a touch screen overlay at one time.

Speedogomer
07-30-08, 02:21 AM
Pretty much you'd lose every function that's not already included in a new aftermarket unit.

There are some great (and cheap) aftermarket units out there. I have a pioneer avic d2 that's a pretty great unit, I paid 600 for it new on ebay (list price was 1400 at the time) now they go for even cheaper on ebay because there is a newer model out, the avic d3

ichpen
07-30-08, 11:43 AM
Has anyone successfully swaped out their POS factory Navigation for an aftermarket Unit. It seems like we have to spend so much money to get our IPOD and Bluetooth to work and they still dont work the way that we know they should. Why not swap out the oem unit for a much more sophisticated system such as an Alpine or Kenwood. Would we loose all of our functions that are on the factory Navigation? I think I might bite the bullet and give it a shot depending on what some of you experts think.

I looked into this but yes you'd loose some stuff. There are harnesses for the steering wheel controls and onstar but any driver info you see on your Navi unit would be lost i.e. door open, trunk open, competitive mode, odometer etc etc.

Now in theory you can build a carputer (or buy a prebuilt one if you're technically inclined), plug in an OBD2/Elmscan scanner and download a bunch of free apps that will show you anything that's readable over CAN bus. But you'd still loose driver preferences (i.e. exit seat position, mirror etc) that are controlled by the Navi.

If you do want to keep preferences you might have a couple of options:

1) Buy a non-Navi DIC (driver info center) console from a standard CTS (non-Navi), retrofit it then add your new Navi (some custom work is involved here)

2) relocate stock navi and add additional Navi unit.. Space would be an issue here

3) get a carputer and hack into the standard display. This would give you an additional carputer functionality but you won't have touch screen etc plus you need to do a custom video-in

Or you could simply swap out the Navi with any double din unit and live with the information loss. Not many options out there. Hate GM for integrating this stuff into the Navi.

I don't believe anyone has hacked the data feed line or written any custom apps for it. If that were possible the potential would be endless.