: The Aussies do it better....HSV style

Naf
07-29-08, 08:42 AM
Now i know we dont really talk about cam specs, but i am going to get this cam and stick it in my car with my other options...This is the same cam used in the HSV Down in Australia.

Advertised Duration 264 / 278
Valve Lift 0.601 / 0.601
LSA 117

My friend stuck it in his LS1 with some LPE ported 68cc, stock intake, 80mm throttlebody, 3" exhaust and stock rockerarms and made 385 at the wheel...After a supercharger installed 435...He would have made more if the combustion chambers were 65cc rather then 68cc...

I will keep you all posted to my progress...I am shootin for north of 400 EASY!!!

Twitch
07-29-08, 09:22 AM
Now i know we dont really talk about cam specs, but i am going to get this cam and stick it in my car with my other options...This is the same cam used in the HSV Down in Australia.

Advertised Duration 264 / 278
Valve Lift 0.601 / 0.601
LSA 117

My friend stuck it in his LS1 with some LPE ported 68cc, stock intake, 80mm throttlebody, 3" exhaust and stock rockerarms and made 385 at the wheel...After a supercharger installed 435...He would have made more if the combustion chambers were 65cc rather then 68cc...

I will keep you all posted to my progress...I am shootin for north of 400 EASY!!!
He only got 50hp out of a supercharger?

Naf
07-29-08, 10:06 AM
On the plus side he made 295 before all the mods... Thats 90 Ponies NA...

The Last number was due to low compression 68cc chambers instead of 65...I have to talk with him and see what happened after he bumped up the PSI

SkullV
07-29-08, 03:48 PM
Naf...are you ever going to actually drive your car?

AlmostAV
07-29-08, 03:53 PM
why not just get a custom cam shaft tailored to your car?

This makes no sense to get a cam designed for a certain car, and just shove it in with the hopes you will see results. Cams are the most sensitive part on an engine, and need to specifically be designed to meet the needs of that engine.

Naf
07-29-08, 04:31 PM
why not just get a custom cam shaft tailored to your car?

This makes no sense to get a cam designed for a certain car, and just shove it in with the hopes you will see results. Cams are the most sensitive part on an engine, and need to specifically be designed to meet the needs of that engine.

Hmm, i dont know if you have noticed, but i am somewhere i cant do that...I look at others and i follow the best options...I will get ample lift and if this cam did wonders on a LS1 imagine what it will do for me....

1. I dont have to wait forever for the cam
2. there is no guess work
3. there is pretty much a tune on the web for me to start from
4. there is no lobin like in 112 LSA cams

Go with what you know, dont guess on variables

CTSV_510
07-29-08, 04:34 PM

:lol:

I don't know much about cams, but I don't recall ever seeing duration specs that high.

Naf
07-29-08, 04:34 PM

I will tomorro and in time for my LONG weekend...I get it back in the afternoon and by the evenin i will have my rims installed with my new tires and by friday i will be postin pics FINALLY...

I got my trunk to work and my spoiler is painted finally...

Once that is done i will start to work on the bottom end for my tune

AlmostAV
07-29-08, 06:29 PM
yes i understand, but an ls6 cam does wonders in an ls1 too. so i dont understand your logic. 510 is right, that duration is extremely high. I dont understand why you cant purchase at least an off the shelf proven cam....IN OUR MOTORS *ls6*.....I can think of several friends of mine making more power than your friend in an ls1 without headwork. I also know people with heads and cam making close to 440rwhp in ls1 powered vehicles.

all im saying is shop around....

Speedogomer
07-29-08, 07:40 PM
The Aussie's know their V8's.

AAIIIC
07-30-08, 12:52 AM
Hmm, i dont know if you have noticed, but i am somewhere i cant do that...
I fail to see your logic. The HSV cam you're getting isn't made in Kuwait, is it? :confused: I'm sure there are people in Australia that do custom cams, so if you can order an off-the-shelf cam from Australia, why not order a custom cam? And there are plenty of custom cam grinders in the US that will do everything via email/phone (they have those in Kuwait, right), grind the cam, and send it to you.

1. I dont have to wait forever for the cam
As I recall I waited 2 weeks for the custom cam for my Mustang. Is your engine going to be done in the next 2 weeks?

2. there is no guess work
Go with what you know, dont guess on variables
Except guessing is exactly what you're doing! This guy (http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16469) I know on another forum picked up 90rwhp at 6400rpm with a cam swap in his LT1 Camaro. Those are awesome results, but I wouldn't decide based on those numbers that his cam design is right for me.

Naf
07-30-08, 03:31 AM
Hmmm, You really dont know what i have to go through to get parts do you...

If i were to get a custom cam i am lookin at a 4-6 week wait. Then there is the oh we dont accept international credit cards. And then the oh we have to focus on local markets and dont have time for international...And lastly there is the Complete Brush off....

I know the LS6 cam is good, i installed it in my Tahoe. I got the bottom end of the ve map to run great on open loop, but when i put it in closed loop its LEAN...

My other proplem is findin a decent tuner...So far i am gettin closer to fixin my tune then the guy i just paid 500$ to...The only good thing he did was he hooked me up with the right timin table. I am currently runnin the 04 ZO6 timin table, but in the high revs i am SUPER rich...

Now the HSV cam is proven, and yeilds more then the GT2-3...And i am able to score a tune from the aussies whom like to keep their customers happy. My approaches are a little unorthadox, but in the end i am happy with what i get. The Cam doesnt lobe like 114 or 112 cams do and it has a very steady curve right up to the end. I am

I talked with my friend yesterday and the 385 was without a tune and no AFR was installd to see the readout. The 435 was before the tune and afterwards with a tune he scored 480 at the wheel with a stock 4L60e auto transmission and stock GTO diff (3.07)... So from 295 to 480 tuned with a Maggie cam and heads isnt half bad...

Before i bought my HC GMPP heads, i talked with a technician from LPE and he was impressed with the cam, stating that it wasnt too big for piston slap and it had just the right amount of lift to compliment the heads...He had me feelin good before i started my project.

I dont want to start any fueds here, but unless you know of a great tuner in the middle east, i am going to stick with the proven off the shelf cam i find...