: How to play a burned DVD with .mp3's on it?

perfect
07-28-08, 08:22 PM
OK everyone,

I know that this topic has been brought up before but after doing a search I didn't see anybody mentioning this.

We all know that GM was too lazy (or too stubborn) to include the .mp3 dvd playability functionality for the CTS-V.

What options are there for burning an mp3 disk as a DVD and playing it in the DVD drive?

I know it's possible to play burned DVD's so i'm hoping that there is someway to trick the V's DVD player into playing my burned mp3's :lildevil:

I have a long road trip ahead of me and I'm not thrilled about the prospect of burning 50+ audio CD's. Nor do I want to spend $100's on an IPOD and connecting kit.

what are my options?

Civardi
07-28-08, 08:23 PM
Call XM.

perfect
07-28-08, 08:26 PM
thats not helpful

Civardi
07-28-08, 08:34 PM
You can get a Belkin iPod radio reciever for under $50.

perfect
07-28-08, 08:44 PM
I would still need to purchase an IPOD

that would be the last solution

Civardi
07-28-08, 08:47 PM
Opps thought you had one. Did you burn some MP3s to a DVD and give it a try?

perfect
07-28-08, 08:52 PM
yes, it doesn't work

it says it is missing the dvd rom

sleepys4
07-29-08, 12:51 AM
Do they play regular mp3 data cds?

perfect
07-29-08, 07:29 AM
i don't think so, i guess I can check that out

i know people on here have claimed to have done this...anyone?

CIWS
07-29-08, 09:19 AM
A DVD with mp3 files burned to it is not going to appear as a DVD movie disk to the player, so it won't work. Now what you could do is create a video disk with some of your favorite songs on it and play it while driving. Like download the videos from something like Youtube and burn them as a DVD video disk.

I definitely enjoy the mp3 playability in the STS-Vs Nav/Radio.

perfect
07-29-08, 01:46 PM
unfortunately that won't do what I want. I just like listening to all of my new albums when I'm on the road.

thanks for the input

perfect
08-05-08, 07:41 AM
update to this:

I was able to create a playable DVD using Nero Vision's create a DVD video tool. I had all of my mp3's on it with a static "V" logo as the image.

With the car in park and the parking-brake on the car would play the DVD and I could hit seek to play the next track.

However, when I did the dvd-trick to get it to play while in motion it locks me out from switching to the next track (using the seek button). So essentially I am locked into playing the playlist from song 1 to song 500. I can't skip around tracks.

Does that sound normal?

tedcmiller
08-05-08, 08:04 AM
Get a later model Cadillac. My wife's 2008 DTS plays MP3 audio discs. I assume that all the Cadillac's with newer audio systems than that used in the 2004-2007 CTSs (and CTS-Vs) do also. The 2008 CTS and the upcoming 2009 CTS-V also play MP3s.

perfect
08-05-08, 08:07 AM
wow, i didn't think anybody could top the "buy and ipod" statement....but "buy a whole new cadillac" is even better

anymore advice?

anyone know how to force the DVD player to switch tracks while the car is in motion playing DVD?

crazymikie
08-05-08, 08:15 AM
I haven't tried much (it looks like you already did), but from what I have read here, I don't think it's possible to play MP3s without an external source. Also, for liability reasons, I don't think you can manipulate the DVD player while driving. I guess GM felt people would be crashing since they weren't paying attention to the road.

I was kind of bummed out about that too. If you do figure out something, please let me know.

wow, i didn't think anybody could top the "buy and ipod" statement....but "buy a whole new cadillac" is even better

anymore advice?

anyone know how to force the DVD player to switch tracks while the car is in motion playing DVD?

CIWS
08-05-08, 08:21 AM
Does that sound normal?

Yeah. You created a video DVD. When you use the in motion bypass to play a DVD you lose all track control. It simply plays.

sleepys4
08-07-08, 12:35 AM
Where did you find this nero vision video tool. I downloaded the whole essential 8. But I can't seem to find what exactly you used to burn the mp3s on the dvd.

perfect
08-07-08, 07:41 AM
it's just called Nero Vision.

I have Nero Ultra 8...not sure of this "essential" version that you might have.

ewill3rd
08-07-08, 08:11 AM
I have never messed with it but what about burning some CD-R's with MP3 on them and burning like 10 instead of 50 CDA discs?

I know of no way to do what you are asking for in your original post. Other options have been mentioned, I agree the "buy a new Cadillac" one is probably the best :lol:

perfect
08-07-08, 08:42 AM
what about burning some CD-R's with MP3 on them and burning like 10 instead of 50 CDA discs?

The V's don't play mp3 discs...just CD-audio discs...

somebody please chime in to confirm that!:hide:

ewill3rd
08-07-08, 08:52 AM
Wow, I didn't know that.
Let me look in the owner's manual.

... ouch!
:(

smackdaddy
08-07-08, 10:27 AM
One trick I wanted to try was burning audio files onto a DVD, not .mp3, but the actual wav files. I know a burned cd with wav files will play in the dvd slot, so maybe a dvd-r with wav files will as well. As far as .mp3 neither the dvd od cd drive in our head unit can decode the .mp3 file. Might be something worth a try...

perfect
08-07-08, 10:29 AM
One trick I wanted to try was burning audio files onto a DVD, not .mp3, but the actual wav files. I know a burned cd with wav files will play in the dvd slot, so maybe a dvd-r with wav files will as well. As far as .mp3 neither the dvd od cd drive in our head unit can decode the .mp3 file. Might be something worth a try...

actually, i was able to put the mp3 files directly onto a DVD-video burned DVD...

AND IT WOULD PLAY

but when the car is in motion you have no control of the track selection. It just plays straight through the playlist and you can't repeat a song or skip...just have to listen to it as it is...which ruins the point.:banghead:

smackdaddy
08-07-08, 10:30 AM
If it works and you have a bunch of .mp3 files, you can use a .mp3 to .wav convertor to mass convert the files you are interested and fill up a dvd-r. Do a search on download.com for such a program I know there are a few out there. Good Luck and let us know the results!

smackdaddy
08-07-08, 10:31 AM
might want to try not creating a dvd video though, just put the files onto a dvd, no static vid image, just a data disc on a dvdr

perfect
08-07-08, 10:47 AM
i think i tried this and the V's DVD player will not play a DVD data disk full of .wav files.

either way, i'm pretty sure that once the car is in motion you cannot change any aspect of the playing DVD

nikon
08-07-08, 10:54 AM
dumbass....you already got it to work.....you don't need to do the 'bypass trick' if all your gonna do is listen to audio.....go stick your dvd in...don't do the bypass and start driving...the screen will tell you some kind of warning and the static logo will go away, but the music, or whatever audio was on the dvd will keep playing....I know this because I did this with a few comedy dvd's....and you can still switch chapters...or songs in your case.

nikon
08-07-08, 10:55 AM
oh, and stop being a cheap ass and go buy an ipod :p

perfect
08-07-08, 11:12 AM
dumbass....you already got it to work.....you don't need to do the 'bypass trick' if all your gonna do is listen to audio.....go stick your dvd in...don't do the bypass and start driving...the screen will tell you some kind of warning and the static logo will go away, but the music, or whatever audio was on the dvd will keep playing....I know this because I did this with a few comedy dvd's....and you can still switch chapters...or songs in your case.

it wouldn't let me switch songs...with or without the bypass...once the car is in motion it wouldn't let me switch songs.

i'll try again tonight making sure to clearly designate each song as a chapter but I'm pretty sure I had already done that

nikon
08-07-08, 11:31 AM
it's gotta be in the way you burned it, because like I said, it's worked for me....no video, but audio comes through and it's switchable.

perfect
08-07-08, 11:42 AM
can anyone else confirm this?

sleepys4
08-11-08, 04:21 AM
it's gotta be in the way you burned it, because like I said, it's worked for me....no video, but audio comes through and it's switchable.

What program did you use? Also what kind of Ipod adapters do you guys have? Do the ones through the radio work well?

perfect
08-11-08, 09:00 AM
yeah, what kind of program did you use to burn it?

I still can't get it to play properly....finally resorted to burning my CD's to full CD-R's...what a pain in the ass!

nikon
08-11-08, 10:03 AM
What program did you use? Also what kind of Ipod adapters do you guys have? Do the ones through the radio work well?

It wasn't burned it was a comedy disc set up with chapters...and I could change the chapters while driving...

as for ipod solutions, there are tons available, and I personally couldn't live without mine....sound is crystal clear and for the most part it works flawlessly....the new kits they have out don't lock the ipod, I have one of the original kits thats not made anymore but it still works pretty good....just search ipod here and on the cts forum, you'll find tons of different ways to hook it up.....and if you don't have the cash and don't use XM you can do this http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud-noswitch/index.html

good luck

homammodel
03-29-09, 11:46 PM
hi there;
i was going through the forum and i got to your post where you wanted to make a dvd of songs work on your car.
i have a CTSV 2005 and i tried burning music videos and mp3s on a dvd but it doesnt play! i get a message no video dvd. i wanted to know how did you burn you music on a dvd? like which program you used to burn, and what kind of media you used(DVD-R,DVD+R,...)??
any hint would be great

perfect
03-30-09, 01:04 AM
ultimately it never worked

I was somehow able to burn a dvd with mp3 files on it (I don't remember how) but it was essentially useless because once the car is in motion you can't switch tracks. I just burn cd's and let the engine be my music

I do recall that I use Nero and DVD-R's, however, I imagine just about any burning utility will work fine and since 99% of burned DVD's are -R's I think we've covered a majority of the options.

The Boss V
03-30-09, 06:37 AM
Just buy a used I pod and do the xm splice probably could get a i pod used online for $20-$50 then $8 @ radio shack. Or buy any cheap MP3 player (I have seen them as low as $10 for a 2G) and do the XM splice. spend the $20 and save your self the headache man. How much are you gonna spend on all those MP3's over the years CDR are cheap but you will never be able to switch tracks will you are driving !!!!!!!. You could always pull over every time you want to hear that one song you gotta hear. LOL............

smokisnshellz
03-30-09, 08:59 AM
Well im just gonna say. Ive had XM for like 4 months now and i hate it! I mean the selection is great, but the quality SUCKS! The bass is totally weak when compared to my cd's and my ipod. I would say if your phone has expandable memory (Most smart phones do) buy a 2gb sd card and store music on your phone and do the ipod trick. Thats what i do every now and again.

btr
05-04-09, 08:33 PM
The nav unit will navigate html pages right? Do they make a mp3 player that works totally in html? Just a thought.

zie
05-05-09, 10:00 AM
You can get a JL Cleansweep summing device and hook up your ipod to that and install aftermarket speakers, lol.
That's what I'm gonna do, but I already have an Ipod. :/

tiremarx723
05-05-09, 12:52 PM
can you use an iphone the same way you would a ipod with this connector?

JD03Cobra
05-05-09, 01:05 PM
You can get a JL Cleansweep summing device and hook up your ipod to that and install aftermarket speakers, lol.
That's what I'm gonna do, but I already have an Ipod. :/

Mount the speakers on the back window...Yeah, that would be ghettolicious

Silver -V-
05-05-09, 01:17 PM
I thumbed through this thread, but no one has mentioned burning an audio DVD. Roxio Creator and Roxio Music Lab both do this. It allows 50 hours of DVD quality music on a disk. by using the chapter forward in the DVD player in the system, you can change songs.

perfect
05-05-09, 01:40 PM
I think I tried this, and found out you can't actually change chapters while driving

either way, I spent wayyy too longer trying to come up with a way to cheat the system and it just wouldn't work

zie
05-05-09, 02:25 PM
I thumbed through this thread, but no one has mentioned burning an audio DVD. Roxio Creator and Roxio Music Lab both do this. It allows 50 hours of DVD quality music on a disk. by using the chapter forward in the DVD player in the system, you can change songs.

Yes they did mention this and you cannot use your dvd player while driving.

atdeneve
05-05-09, 03:52 PM
Yes you can. You can't use the controls while driving, since it will be locked out, but you can use the DVD player.

kevm14
10-31-10, 11:37 AM
Sorry to bring back an old thread but do our cars support DVD audio via the DVD slot? We don't have a real solution because even if you didn't lose your nav maps you can't control the player while driving. But it does play a real DVD audio disc? Might be interesting to get some high quality source (or a real commercial DVD-A disc) and see what this system sounds like with some real high resolution and bit rate material. And does it handle 5.1 or just stereo?

Actually, one thing I've been curious about is the audio specs themselves. Speaker sizes, locations and power.

Aurora40
11-01-10, 08:15 AM
Actually, one thing I've been curious about is the audio specs themselves. Speaker sizes, locations and power.
From the ordering guide:

UAV
Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with in-dash 6-disc CD changer,
DVD-based navigation, includes Bose 8-speaker system, Radio Data
System and digital signal processing, includes XM Satellite Radio

All I can objectively say is it does not sound as good as the Bose system in my Aurora. The V sounds pretty good if you are parked. But it seems the volume of all frequencies doesn't raise equally. If you turn it up to account for road noise, the bass and upper frequencies don't increase and the music gets pretty flat.

I'm not a big audiophile. The Bose system in the Olds was plenty good enough. But in the V, it just isn't. I was sort of surprised by that as it's a more expensive car, and it's 4 years newer.

perfect
11-01-10, 09:18 AM
Hey I remember this thread...

lucasmartin
11-01-10, 04:37 PM
It wasn't as common in 2006 as it is today to have standard car audio systems that decoded mp3s. It was a hope of mine when I purchased my 2006 that it would play mp3s on discs because I could fit every song I have within six DVDs. No such luck. There are programs out there (some are mentioned here) that will play the music, but in doing so you will lose the ability to search, seek, use random, etc.

This was a bummer to me as well but I plan on going the XM route using the other channel (I believe that was the one most people have had success with). I currently use a Belkin FM transmitter for my iPhone to the radio and while it is somewhat bearable, the sound quality is not strong and it definitely lacks the crispness of XM (and isn't even close to the richness and strength of a cd). One nice feature of the FM transmitter is that it charges the device at the same time. However it is amazingly frustrating because it seems to allow interference from everything.

Some of these responses are classic, though.

CadzillaTN
11-01-10, 05:38 PM
:mystery:

kevm14
11-01-10, 09:13 PM
Hmm 8 speakers. Is there a center channel in the dash then?

And it will play a real DVD Audio disc in the nav map slot like a video DVD?

Aurora40
11-01-10, 09:27 PM
Hmm 8 speakers. Is there a center channel in the dash then?

And it will play a real DVD Audio disc in the nav map slot like a video DVD?

Looks like there's a dash speaker, two a-pillars, one sub, and one in each door for a total of 8. If you have a DVD-Audio, try it. Nothing in the manual suggests it would work.

kevm14
11-01-10, 10:10 PM
I don't have a disc. I was trying to determine if it was even worth the effort and/or cost to try it. Maybe some rainy/snowy day.

Interesting it has a center speaker but no 5.1 labeling. I guess it is supposed to help with imaging or something...