: 2008 V6 Sts

marathonman89
07-28-08, 09:21 AM
Hello all,

For those with the above car what's the top speed you have attained?

I let mine out on a desolate stretch of Florida's Turnpike yesterday and got it up to 125 MPH then it went flat as though there was a limiter engaged.

FYI - I punched it at 80MPH and it down shifted and went like hell to 110MPH and then just accelerated to the 125MPH where it went flat.

Not complaining, just curious. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Pete

GETLADE
07-29-08, 05:21 PM
i would be careful in the turnpike those FHP's wont even give their parents a break. but yeah mine does the same thing it gets to 129 since i put the 22s on it but i think that the speddo is off anyways. but i think the highest speed i got on the factory wheels was 126

Joe Jakubowski
08-05-08, 06:09 PM
Hi Pete, I was driving from Florida to Biloxi. Somewhere near Alabama, a Dodge Neon passed me. Tried to catch it but my 08 STS AWD is limited to 107. Why put 160 on the speedometer if the car won't do it ? Just blank stares at the dealership. Joe

marathonman89
08-09-08, 10:28 AM
Hi Pete, I was driving from Florida to Biloxi. Somewhere near Alabama, a Dodge Neon passed me. Tried to catch it but my 08 STS AWD is limited to 107. Why put 160 on the speedometer if the car won't do it ? Just blank stares at the dealership. Joe
Hello,

Seemed a bit odd to me that you could only attain 107mph with your AWD STS. The answer may lie in the tires and their not being rated for a higher speed since AWD is usually purchased (no flames please) where weather conditions may require AWD. If that is true than the car is probably limited to the top speed of the tire rating. I was told by one of the techs at my dealership that in theory my 2008 V6 STS should attain approximately 150mph but had a limiter in place matched to the Tire rating.

I am not at all sure whether any of this is correct, just paraphrasing what I was told at the dealership service department.

Good luck with your ride, I'm loving mine.

Pete

Superjim
08-09-08, 11:16 AM
The speed limiters on all cars are set to not exceed the speed ratings of the OEM tires that came on the car when NEW.

Texas Jim

marathonman89
08-09-08, 01:55 PM
The speed limiters on all cars are set to not exceed the speed ratings of the OEM tires that came on the car when NEW.

Texas Jim
Hello Texas Jim,

Kinda what I thought, but thanks for the heads up. Does anybody know whether or not the limiter can be adjusted by Cadillac Service Departments if a higher speed rating tire is installed?

Thanks,

Pete

rb92gt
08-09-08, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately, dealers will laugh at you. Insane amount of liability to raise the speed limiter to speeds where you would be handcuffed and arrested to begin with if caught here in the states.

Now... aftermarket products are available to raise or eliminate speed limiters if you can find one for our particular vehicle. I know for a fact they exist for '07-'08 STS V8's.

Superjim
08-10-08, 10:37 AM
Hello Texas Jim,
Kinda what I thought, but thanks for the heads up. Does anybody know whether or not the limiter can be adjusted by Cadillac Service Departments if a higher speed rating tire is installed?

Thanks,

Pete

The dealer WILL NOT adjust the speed limiter UP.
There is way too much liability to them if they do that.
If you were killed or injured at high speed... they could be sued for raising the limiter.

My first DTS Performance Sedan's speed limiter kicked in at 130.
The limiter on my CURRENT DTS Performance Sedan kicks in at 123mph.
It has factory tires rated to 130MPH.
Dealer WILL NOT raise it to 130. I asked. :)

I don't usually DRIVE at 130,,, it is just a little mental irritant that it is set lower than my other one. :cursin:

I am considering getting the HPTuners Pro tuning set to remove the limiter and do a few other things. The almost $700 buck price tag has me still thinking about if it is worth it or not. :)

Texas Jim

Cliff8928
08-11-08, 02:58 AM
The dealer can not adjust the speed limiter on the cars even if they wanted to. That part of the PCM programming is not adjustable in the Tech2 and would need a tuning software (HPTuners, etc..) to modify.