: oil change question

bryan24k
07-28-08, 01:30 AM
I have another newbie question. New owner of a V and if the first owner used synthetic oil, do I have to continue to use the same oil? if i used a different or cheaper grade would it cause the engine to detonate? any other advice on oil changes would be appreciated. thanks.

Bueller
07-28-08, 01:48 AM
You can use a different brand than the previous owner but I would stick to synthetic. I'm sure there are some using dino oil but it would only save you a few bucks. Caddy recommends synthetic and it comes with Mobil 1 from the factory. Everyone will have their own opinion about Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline and Castrol I'm sure.

Welcome and check out www.cadillacfaq.com

CTSV_510
07-28-08, 11:03 AM
I buy my Mobil 1 synthetic from Walmart in 5 qt jugs for $23.74, best price anywhere. Oil & filter for one oil change ends up at about $32.

onebadcad
07-28-08, 12:10 PM
You can use any type of oil you want, motor will not detonate, life of motor may suffer with non-synthetic, and some will argue that synthetic allows greater miles between changes; most will also say that 5K is max.
Here is a good read:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Why_Synthetics.aspx

You mentioned 'cheaper', owning the V will not be cheap, you need to run premium octane, mileage can be around 15/mpg combined if you drive it like you stole it, run with hi-perf tires, use quality external cleaners, etc...
The performance (and stunning good looks) is what makes the V special, don't compromise.

CTSV_510 nailed it, look for bargains and do the work yourself when possible.

JimmyH
07-28-08, 02:03 PM
Synthetic is going to get dirty just as fast as conventional. I am no engine expert, but there is a reason Cadillac specifies synthetic. I know synthetic is much more resilient to shearing, hence why it is typically used in high performance engines. But I highly doubt the brand is going to make any difference, as long as it is a quality oil.

Oh, and it is pitifully easy to change the oil on this car yourself.

bryan24k
07-28-08, 04:30 PM
So i couly buy my own oil like ctsv_510 does and have somebody that knows what they're doing change the oild for me which would save me money from going to a mechanic shop??

Submariner409
07-28-08, 04:48 PM
Learn to do it yourself. With a small investment in hand tools, and ramps or a jack and stands changing your own oil and filters is a good way to begin really learning about your new car. Just as you never shoot someone else's handloaded ammunition, you never trust your friends to change your oil. (Or a fast lube shop, either........)

There's a ton of maintenance info in these threads.......do some fun homework.......

gfourth
07-28-08, 04:56 PM
It's all in the FAQ as stated above, but even more specifically:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/oilchange.html
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/oiltype.html
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/vfilter.html

50 4Ever
07-28-08, 05:01 PM
You could void your warranty by using an oil that does not meet GM oil standard GM4718M. It's in the owners manual.

I talked with Dave Hill (Corvette Chief Engineer) several years ago, one topic was oil. He said that the tolerances in these engines are so close that crude oil is too thick to properly lubricate them until the oil gets hot. Synthetic oils are the same viscosity all the time providing the needed lubrication.

Twitch
07-28-08, 05:35 PM
[quote=submariner409;1590736]Just as you never shoot someone else's handloaded ammunition[quote]
Uh oh. Now you got me thinkin............:nono:

benelliwang
07-28-08, 08:11 PM
I may be getting some flak for this.......I take all my cars to walmart for oil change, for the past 10+ years! Yes I let the walmart kids touch my twin turbo Corvette, my Subaru WRX STi, & the CTS-v. For some reason I hate oil changes, and this is coming from a guy who has done multiple engine builds, T-56 tranny rebuilds, engine swaps, turbo kit fabrication, & any other stuff. I just don't like to deal with messy hot oil in my garage. And this is coming from a guy who has access to 4 post lifts.

I typically take my OEM oil filter to Walmart after work, I tell him I want Mobile 1 and the filter is in the passenger seat. I go get a few gun/car mags and watch them do the change, $50-$60 later I drive the car home. So far, no problems...

Funny Story: When my Vette was a Heads/Cam nitrous ride, 420 rwhp plus 150 shot of Nitrous, it had 3" exhaust, long tubes, no mufflers (electric cutout), and a radical cam. It freaked out the oil change boy when he cranked the engine on. It was loud and the idle as lopey as hell, he jumped out and ran to his boss:histeric: The nitrous set up always gets their attention too.

Civardi
07-28-08, 09:39 PM
The shop I go to the owner has a 68 GTO and a C6. The guys who wrench there are all gear heads. So for $55 I will let them take care of it for me. Takes under 30 minutes.

JonCR96Z
07-30-08, 12:57 AM
I talked with Dave Hill (Corvette Chief Engineer) several years ago, one topic was oil. He said that the tolerances in these engines are so close

Dave Hill needs to stick with design because he obviously has no idea about GM production lines. Sometimes I'm not sure that GM knows what tolerance means.

JimmyH
07-30-08, 02:16 PM
I am sure the LS6 et al have very tight tolerances. ALL of today's engines have tight tolerances. And they don't all require synthetic.

I fairly sure it is the shearing resistance of synthetic (versus conventional) that stipulates it's use in the LS engines. These are high power engines that put a lot of stress on the oil.

I would bet a four-cylinder Honda has much tighter tolerances than an LS. It does not require synthetic.

I say use what you want. A car is a perishable item no matter how you look at it.