: dmh cutouts

DownSouthCaddy
07-27-08, 05:27 PM
Hey guys i have been a longtime reader and havent posted too much, but i just recently installed the dmh cutouts on my 05 V. I had purchased the magnaflow catback about 8 months ago and was truly disappointed. Its nice when you want it quiet, but it just didnt have enough muscle sound to it. Here is a link to my video on youtube. Let my know what you think

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qwdVfj6QZzk

Lane
Street Rod Concepts

jerrad
07-27-08, 06:54 PM
Sounds nice man. Did you install them right after the cats?

Natedog
07-27-08, 08:35 PM
same route i went ... they are frickin mean and turn heads everywhere i go.. mine are the low profile ones installed right after the cats
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m263/Natedog03sct/DSC01072.jpg

Mystical_Ice
07-27-08, 09:00 PM
that's exactly what i'm doing to my car in the next few weeks

silverAg
07-28-08, 12:09 AM
OP are you from texas?

Mystical_Ice
07-28-08, 12:33 AM
OP?

i am.

bossplayer
07-28-08, 12:43 AM
I am strongly considering doing this. I don't want to lose the quietness of the stock exhaust, but sometimes (not very often) I would like the growl.

How much did installation cost?

perfect
07-28-08, 07:27 AM
I am strongly considering doing this. I don't want to lose the quietness of the stock exhaust, but sometimes (not very often) I would like the growl.

How much did installation cost?

yes! do this!

I am considering this as well. Do you have a link to the cut-outs and how much was installation?

DownSouthCaddy
07-28-08, 08:36 AM
I did the install myself so it was free. I work at a street rod shop in lake jackson so i have the advantage of having a lift at anytime. i installed them right after the x-pipe, they exit right after the tranny. I still need to out on some turndowns though. The only problem i have had is stability getting all wacked out bc of the excessive vibration, but i solve that problem by just turning it off, no biggie.

One more thing, the cutouts are prolly twice as loud as it sounds in the video.

perfect
07-28-08, 08:52 AM
where did you buy yours from?

Kmajecki
07-28-08, 09:11 AM
I've always been a big fan of cutouts! I used to have an F-150 with the Q-tec cutouts and over time they began to rattle when closed. Apparently the gears strip out on those. The DMH ones seem to be of the same design but probably better materials. Because of the Q-Tec experience i went with a totally different design on the V. The linear actuators have much more force behind them. I've had them on for 1.5 years now, still no rattle! they do take up a lot of space though...

www.StreetPro.us
XxjyKdizH3o

perfect
07-28-08, 09:33 AM
how much did you pay for those Kmajecki?

Natedog
07-28-08, 09:47 AM
the pair were 360 shipped if i recall correctly and i paid 225 to have em installed (welded in with switch run to center console). The switch for em is awesome.. its a small black rocker switch that opens/closes the valves in about 2-3 seconds

Kmajecki
07-28-08, 09:51 AM
how much did you pay for those Kmajecki?

They are $245 each, or $470 for the pair. Then i paid right at $100ish for the muffler shop install with the turn downs and wired it myself. I put the switch on the center console near the cup holders
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/CIMG2573.jpg

perfect
07-28-08, 02:37 PM
after looking around on other forums (and speaking with my trusted local installer) it appears that the dmh cutouts have a mechanical rattling problem that develops. Although they sure sound great they apparently start to free themselves and begin to rattle.

I'm looking more into the actuated cut-outs at the moment.

Kmajecki
07-28-08, 06:04 PM
Yea that rattling drove me nuts on the Q-Tecs. I would imagine over time the DMH's would do the same. Apparently the gears strip out over time. One reason is (at least on the Q-Tecs) that when they are fully closed, the motor will still turn. Not like the window on your car, when the window is up the motor stops. So if you use the cutouts frequently, it takes at least 1-3 seconds between when the cutout is fully closed and when you'll hear the difference and release the button. Point is, over time you cant help but strip out something in there with this type of setup. I think i read on the streetpro website that there is like 125lbs of force being applied at all times, so definitely a firm close with nothing to strip out. Just looking at the design you can see it would have much more force than a standard butterfly valve design. Just depends on whether you want to pay the extra $$$ for it.

Now you just need Kooks and a cam... I opened the cutouts 8 seconds into it
fvWuq7_S9SY