: Electrical Problems With 94' Seville

bamms27
07-26-08, 11:55 PM
Hey Guys,

Car's been cutting out and going into Limp Mode-
Dash Reads Low Battery Levels but the people at the shops say its not the Battery.

I got my alternater checked and it also passed.

But im still having the Problems and Before a Drop a Grand Into My Car for a repair that Might not do anything, Just wondering if anyone has come across this Problem Before and Might have any Tips Or Ins on this Problem.

The car also Dosent Hold the Solid 13.9 Volts, well thats what the Display Reads.

Thanks

med
07-27-08, 12:20 AM
Can you wiggle the connections to the battery terminals? Is a battery hold down clamp installed to keep the battery from moving around? These are easy fixes if you answer yes to either of these questions. Do your headlights lights flicker at idle against a nearby wall, etc? Does the battery voltage fluctuate on the dash - or just read a constant value? Any codes? A little more info and we might be able to help. :hmm:Loose connections at the battery make for problems - they need to be absolutely tight - GM sells the new battery terminal connector bolts as they tend to wear/strip out over the years causing a loose battery connection no matter how far you tighten the bolt down.

bamms27
07-27-08, 12:35 AM
Yeah My car Died on me at a Red Light and when i put on my Flashers All my Gages Went All messed. And my Battery Voltage Was always CHanging..never Stayed the Same. Has this Happened to Your Car?

med
07-27-08, 01:27 AM
I had blown fuses, intermittent codes, etc. before I started replacing hold down clamp for battery and the side terminals. Car got broken into and battery was drained down. I had my car taken into the dealer after the break-in, where a new battery and new alternator were installed along with a steering column and more. The dealer (Crest) and the mechanic (AJ) were extremely helpful with these issues. Bad battery connections are well-noted (search caddyinfo.com and this forum) to cause problems with these cars. Keep on posting your findings and let us know what turns up!:thumbsup:

zonie77
07-27-08, 03:09 PM
Clean the terminals at the battery extremely well, try to get the bolt out so you can clean the ends. If the alternator can keep voltage with all the accessories shut off but voltage drops as you turm radio, lights, ac on the alternator rectifier is bad and it's not putting out enough amperage.

If they didn't test the alternator under load it wasn't a good test.

If you compare electricity to water voltage is the pressure and amperage is the volume of water.