: Signs of failing slave cylinder

SLPR 6.0L
07-25-08, 11:02 PM
A friend just had his slave cylinder replaced on his 04 and swears that I need to do the same. The only complaint I have is that the clutch is hard to depress. He swears that it felt like mine does presently and that if I replace the S.C., my shifting dreams will come true.
Any thoughts?
Other signs of a failing slave cylinder?
44 K, original rear end & whine free

ewill3rd
07-26-08, 08:05 AM
Flush the clutch with new DOT 3 fluid (or DOT 4) first, then re-evaluate.
You probably have black goop for clutch fluid.

SLPR 6.0L
07-26-08, 08:31 AM
What synthetic would you recomend?

ewill3rd
07-26-08, 08:38 AM
There are some others who could make actual fluid recommendations, I have seen guys use the Motul and some like the super blue.
It is a pain but well worth the trouble if it is done properly.

stuckey
07-26-08, 06:43 PM
Never had a 6 speed had several Trans Ams and a Vette all automatic. How hard is this to do and can u give any details on the steps to doing it?

ewill3rd
07-27-08, 09:23 AM
I think there are some details posted here somewhere.
A little searching, or some kind soul posting links would be good.
If nothing shows up I'll try to post something later this week.

PISNUOFF
07-28-08, 10:00 PM
Never had a 6 speed had several Trans Ams and a Vette all automatic. How hard is this to do and can u give any details on the steps to doing it?

The clutch resevoir is the small one in front of the brake resevoir. You'll need to suck out the fluid in the resevoir and fill with new, then bleed from the bleeder coming out of the trans bell housing. Have an assistant press the pedal to the floor then open the bleeder, close the bleeder, then raise the pedal. Repeat the bleeding 3 times and then you'll have to refill the resevoir. I do 3 resevoir fills and quit. Probably overkill but oh well.

Brian

PS - Go to the hardware store and buy an 8mm stubby box end wrench (you'll see why when you get under the car) and some clear tubing, I think it's 1/4" ID (maybe it's 5/16, buy both it's cheap).