: WRX to CTS-V

Speedogomer
07-24-08, 09:56 PM
Hey guys, new member here, looking for some input.

I currently have an 05 Subaru WRX. A little work done to it, Downpipe, Cat Back, ECU flash, modified intake. ECU Tune company (Cobb) estimates around 285 bhp.

I'm thinking of trading to a CTS-V, I'm looking at an 04 platinum with 60,000 mi, $21,000. No rear diff whine, no creaks or groans in the suspension, perfect satnav buttons (warranty replaced), no spare, good runflats, recently replaced brake pads, looks like new. Supposedly mostly CT highway miles, purchased from GM off a lease.

Used to be owned by a member on here I'm told, but I don't know his name. It's a dealer now, which the owner of the dealership has used it as his car for a while (has owned 4 different V's and sold them all at his own dealership, one in each color actually) Younger guy, very knowledable about the V's, is looking to sell if he can, if not he says he'll keep it as his own because it's the nicest V he's had yet.

Looking for any input on comparisons to the WRX (besides the obvious) Anyone else trade up from a Rex? Also any other input would be great.

type911
07-24-08, 10:02 PM
Have you driven one yet? You wont regret the V.

Speedogomer
07-24-08, 10:07 PM
I test drove the one I spoke of yesterday, drove very nice, but I wasn't able to get on it much. Definately a little more torquey than the rex.

In the WRX, 2nd gear 2K rpm, hammer down and a big bog, once it gets to 3K rpm theres a big surge of power and you feel your butt drop in the seat. The V had a similar feeling, only no waiting until 3K rpm.

I'm concerned in general about reliability and RWD (coming from AWD that is an absolute animal in the snow). The V I'm looking at seems pretty solid, although if the dealer could throw in a 100K mile warranty for the asking price I'd be more tempted.

type911
07-24-08, 10:52 PM
Get the warranty and snow tires are a must in winter.

jweymar
07-24-08, 11:00 PM
No comparison, I mean WRX is a great track car and fun to drive, but not even in the same league as a V. This is Cadillac, it is a luxury muscle car with class.

thebigjimsho
07-24-08, 11:10 PM
My brother has a 9-2X Aero, which is very nice. But even if you had an STi, I think you'd like the V better. The great thing about the V is that you can wring it out and have a blast. But, it's also a great cruiser and can cover tons of ground without fatigue.

We've driven my brother's Saab to Chicago, Cleveland and Buffalo before. We drove to Chicago because it was November and my V does not see snow. The Saab is OK for those distances.

But we've also circled the country in the V. More space, big, comfy seats and tons of useable power make it such a great car.

I like the Subie. I almost bought an STi in '03. But I'm glad I waited for the V in '04. Plus, it's a great track car...

CtsVrod
07-25-08, 12:33 AM
Hey guys, new member here, looking for some input.

I currently have an 05 Subaru WRX. A little work done to it, Downpipe, Cat Back, ECU flash, modified intake. ECU Tune company (Cobb) estimates around 285 bhp.

I'm thinking of trading to a CTS-V, I'm looking at an 04 platinum with 60,000 mi, $21,000. No rear diff whine, no creaks or groans in the suspension, perfect satnav buttons (warranty replaced), no spare, good runflats, recently replaced brake pads, looks like new. Supposedly mostly CT highway miles, purchased from GM off a lease.

Used to be owned by a member on here I'm told, but I don't know his name. It's a dealer now, which the owner of the dealership has used it as his car for a while (has owned 4 different V's and sold them all at his own dealership, one in each color actually) Younger guy, very knowledable about the V's, is looking to sell if he can, if not he says he'll keep it as his own because it's the nicest V he's had yet.

Looking for any input on comparisons to the WRX (besides the obvious) Anyone else trade up from a Rex? Also any other input would be great.

I just sold my 05 WRX with almost the same mods - ProTuned with 265 WHP. I have had my 05 V for about 3 weeks.... At first I missed my Subie, but I was still shoping for my V... Once I finally bought the V, I havnt thought twice about the Subie, and I absolutely love the V.. I thought that I was def sacrificing in the Handling department, but to my surprise the V handles amazing! I still have the stock FE4 Susp (FG2's & HR in the Garage though) and I've already pulled .90 G's in the Canyons just playing around, and I've only had the car a few weeks.... The only thing I would think you'll miss the AWD for is the Snow. There really is no Comparison between the two, the V is on a much Higher level (luxury, comfort, style, power) than the WRX, its much more "grownup" I would def recommend getting some sort of warranty (Cpo, Major Guard) My V has already visited the Dealer a few times in the short time I've owned it.

If you you do decide to go with the V, you might wanna just call up Luke at Lindsay Cadillac and hand over all your cash, you'll be speaking with him very often. :yup: The Mods add up real quick.

thebigjimsho
07-25-08, 12:47 AM
If you you do decide to go with the V, you might wanna just call up Luke at Lindsay Cadillac and hand over all your cash, you'll be speaking with him very often. :yup: The Mods add up real quick.Lindsay Cadillac is the best! Speedogomer, you may be a ways away but still may be close enough to make your dealer. And you've got one of my favorite roads at your disposal, Rte 87 to Williamsport...

crazymikie
07-25-08, 12:56 AM
Hi!

I had a WRX which was highly modified- 350 wtq and 375 whp. It was pretty much track prepped- coilovers, swaybars, bushings arms, hand-ported heads, water/meth injection, etc, etc. The car was amazing after I did all of that work to it. Sadly, I had a car accident and it was totaled.

I did a bunch of shopping and I ultimately settled on an '05 CTS-V. It has 1000 lbs more weight and about 100 less hp, however, not having to drive around at 3000 RPM all of the time is definitely nice :) The V handles amazingly considering its size and its weight. I haven't really pushed it much, however, a friend of mine who is an amateur rally driver took it for a spin and was thoroughly impressed with the car (my g meter now reads a healthy .85). It's far more comfortable than the Subaru, has more amenities and is certainly a lot more refined. There aren't odd squeaks and rattles all over the place and when cruising on the highway, it's dead quiet.

I'm not bashing the Subaru in any way- I loved that car and they only reason I didn't get another one was because I'd want to just rebuild what I had and it was too much work. The V has a lot of what I wanted in it's factory form and a whole lot more. You have to consider that the car cost ~$55k new, so it really is in a different league.

As far as the AWD/RWD goes, you will lose something in the winter. I'm planning on getting a set of LM25's to get me around- don't skimp on the winter tires. Aside from that, I've noticed that the car doesn't feel as confidence-inspiring as the WRX, so it takes a bit of getting used to. Just take it easy and learn how to drive the car and you should be fine.

Good luck!
Mike

pveomett
07-25-08, 09:22 AM
When I bought my V, I was coming from a 2004 Evo. The evo was fun, but felt more like a toy after I got the V! You definately MUST be a car guy (or girl) to own the V because of the problems with the car (which it sounds like you already know about them: rearend, shifting, rearend, and worst of all NAV buttons...). But, once you get on the street or track, you realize how minute those problems are compared to what the car gives you in return.

This is my old Evo:
http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk350/CTS-Veo/100_0022.jpg
http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk350/CTS-Veo/100_0025.jpg

dqw1
07-25-08, 09:28 AM
Having V guy at the dealership as a former V owner may be a plus. I would ask him his policy on mod's.

benelliwang
07-25-08, 12:58 PM
I have an 05 WRX STi (Bought it for my wife), CTS-v (Family Car), and a Twin Turbo Vette. The STi will smoke the CTS-v off the line every time, but the CTS-v will kill the STi on all roll on races. The STi is more noisy, it rides much firmer, the clutch and steering are much more heavier. So on the streets & long cruises the CTS-v is a much more comfortable car to drive. Amazingly the have the same brembo brake system, so I can buy one set of pads and use them on either one car. But since CTS-v is such a heavy pig, the STi has better braking.
At the track, the STi shines, even though it only has 300hp/300tq. It is smaller, more nimble, same 245 size tires but on a much lighter chassis, great steering feel, not to mention AWD and the amazing Brembo Brakes. But the torque of a LSx V8 is addictive and it is a lot of fun to power slide the CTS-v around. Both are great cars.

bossplayer
07-25-08, 02:04 PM
I test drove a new EVO a few months back. May be unrelated but I am guessing they feel pretty similar.

Not nearly as comfortable and feels like a go cart by comparison. As far as performance I know they are proven... but for a daily driver, not my style.

Speedogomer
07-25-08, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the input!

First, yes I'm a bit of a car nut, and I tried to do my research before looking at the V's. They have their quirks, but so do the WRX's. I'm surprised at the number of former WRX/Evo owners here, it's nice to hear. Even the guys on my WRX forum are telling me to buy the V, thats a good sign.

RT 87 to Williamsport is alot of fun, I used to drive the entire length of it every week going back and forth to college in Williamsport. Best road around though is a little 5 mile stretch of road on RT 367 from Laceyville to Sylvara, theres about 10-15 slightly banked hairpins on nice smooth blacktop with little traffic.

How does $21,500 sound for an 04 platinum (I like black better but I owner a black car once and it was impossible to keep clean) with 63K miles. Like I said, diff sounds good, tires are good, brakes are good, paint is good, nav buttons replaced recently, mobile 1 used every 3K, Royal purple always used in the diff. I'm going to see if I can have them give me a 100K mile warranty for that price (ACDelco Warranty) then I would be more tempted to bite.

Snow tires are a must, it's almost impossible for me to call off work so I need to be able to get there, snow tires are something that are worth their weight in gold.

thebigjimsho
07-25-08, 02:38 PM
Being a younger guy, I'm going to assume that you don't have a ton of $$$ in case the V goes down for something. I would push very hard for a warranty or a break on a warranty. The V can be a trouble-free vehicle. But if you lose a diff, it can be a bitch...

JimmyH
07-25-08, 02:39 PM
wrx is a sweet car. seems like alot of wrx owners move to a V, or want to.

the only thing i dislike about the wrx is it's diminutive interior.
i cross-shopped the sti and V, and settled on the V.

thebigjimsho
07-25-08, 02:40 PM
...and I do think that price is pretty good for that '04...

thebigjimsho
07-25-08, 02:45 PM

i cross-shopped the sti and V, and settled on the V.I know the redo of the Impreza has gotten thumbs down from enthusiasts, but the new interior is bigger, more comfortable and better put together. The doors are fully framed and slam with a thud. Definitely a much more comfortable vehicle.

Now, they have a good platform, they just need to give it better track abilities...

whisler151
07-25-08, 02:56 PM
Being a younger guy, I'm going to assume that you don't have a ton of $$$ in case the V goes down for something.

There you go again. Just because someone is young they must be broke. You old guys are all the same! :alchi:

CtsVrod
07-25-08, 03:01 PM
I'm going to see if I can have them give me a 100K mile warranty for that price (ACDelco Warranty) then I would be more tempted to bite.

Not to sure about the ACDelco Warranty... I would def check to see what the coverage consists of, and if there are any deductibles... A warranty on these cars is almost a MUST

Doctornick
07-25-08, 03:04 PM
Welcome to the Club. I'm another subaru owner here. Own a 400whp GF8 (old school 94 OBS wagon w/ STi swap) and now a 05 CTS-V. Both are great cars, but dam the V is a killer GT car. Were you on nasioc?

thebigjimsho
07-25-08, 03:11 PM
There you go again. Just because someone is young they must be broke. You old guys are all the same! :alchi:Sorry, guess I should assume you all have rich dads and can buy all the strippers you want. haha

whisler151
07-25-08, 03:47 PM
Sorry, guess I should assume you all have rich dads and can buy all the strippers you want. haha

Or that maybe while we were in Iraq we were able to save a lot of money for a nice down payment, and after college we happened to get a good paying job that allows us to get a nice car?

Just a thought. :thumbsup:

crazymikie
07-25-08, 03:54 PM
Welcome to the Club. I'm another subaru owner here. Own a 400whp GF8 (old school 94 OBS wagon w/ STi swap) and now a 05 CTS-V. Both are great cars, but dam the V is a killer GT car. Were you on nasioc?

I was (same S/N).

It seems like it's gone downhill a bit lately :(

thebigjimsho
07-25-08, 03:57 PM
Or that maybe while we were in Iraq we were able to save a lot of money for a nice down payment, and after college we happened to get a good paying job that allows us to get a nice car?

Just a thought. :thumbsup:That's nice. This guy wants a used V and is 24. And he's asking about warranties. So I'm giving him advice. I know you hate to admit it, but us "older" guys sometimes give advice because it's from valuable experience...

BacDoc
07-25-08, 04:13 PM
Coming from a host of AWD cars in the past there is nothing like having the feeling of a rwd drive to throw around.

I can't get enough of this car.

whisler151
07-25-08, 04:30 PM
That's nice. This guy wants a used V and is 24. And he's asking about warranties. So I'm giving him advice. I know you hate to admit it, but us "older" guys sometimes give advice because it's from valuable experience...

Yes, you "older" guys do give valuable advice from time to time. It's nice to see you giving kind words of wisdom to the new young guys in the forum. As I remember you weren't that helpful to them a year ago. :want:

Jk...Your smart ass ways have always been amusing and will continue to be. One lesson I learned from you was that Vs is plural...not V's. WHAT DOES THE V OWN?????

thebigjimsho
07-25-08, 05:25 PM
Yes, you "older" guys do give valuable advice from time to time. It's nice to see you giving kind words of wisdom to the new young guys in the forum. As I remember you weren't that helpful to them a year ago. :want:

Jk...Your smart ass ways have always been amusing and will continue to be. One lesson I learned from you was that Vs is plural...not V's. WHAT DOES THE V OWN?????Glad to know I've helped...

814V
07-25-08, 05:33 PM
coming form someone who currently owns a 06 STI and a 05 V you will love this car.. its nice to see another subie owner around. i understand that it is a hard choice to let go of the rex, its a awesome car. i like my sti better in many ways then the v, but i also like the v in many ways better then the sti. when i feel like being a young punk kid i love to go upset people with my shopping cart wing ha ha. when i feel like being a respected adult ill take the v. anyways the V is an awesome machine you will love it

smackdaddy
07-25-08, 05:49 PM
I sold my highly modified EVO to buy a CTS-V. In fact I started the same type of thread here about 6 months ago! I have also worked on several STIs and WRXs. My Maggied V is still slower than the EVO, however its much more comfortable and IMHO a better car all around. EVO/STI/WRX are all gonna win out in the winter and any inclement weather situation, nothing you are going to do about that. CTS-V is a muscle car wraped in Luxury clothes. You gotta muscle it around, where the EVO and STI felt more flickable at any time even though they only weigh 500 lbs diff. At your level of mods with your WRX, a stock CTS-V will prolly be a small step up in power and in def a step up in handling if your still on stockish suspension and tires with your above listed power mods. I miss the EVO for all out power and acceleration, but I much more enjoy the softer ride, heated seats, nav, and other creature comforts. My wife refused to rife in the EVO, but she likes the Caddy...

Best wishes in whatever you decide to do, Just kidding buy the V!

smackdaddy
07-25-08, 05:51 PM
Speedogomer, you live less than 10 miles from me! Drop me a PM and I'll take you for a spin if you want!

Max-Q
07-25-08, 06:17 PM
I had an 05 STi with a Protuned Stage II (304whp/342 wtq) and an 06 Evo IX MR which was modded too (354 whp/341 wtq)

I finally got tired of all the dirty looks and negative attention associated with both cars. I'm an adult and was being treated as a boy racer. I wanted a car which was not as rough and buzzy as the Evo.

I traded my STi for the V and sold the Evo and bought an Escalade. I don't regret either decision for a second. The V is much smoother and more refined. The interior is leaps and bounds better than the Subie although I do wish I had the shifter from the STi, just not the ultra-short gear ratios.

Now that I added the Maggie I am thrilled with the V. :lildevil:

814V
07-25-08, 07:29 PM
being young and stupid i still like the attention from the STI.. when i need to blow off some steam i usually take her out for a drive. the V is my plush cruiser for when i wanna feel like an adult :halo:

Speedogomer
07-25-08, 10:36 PM
Smackdaddy, your wife works at Head to Toe right? I talked to her once, she said she liked my WRX and said that her husband had just sold his EVO for a V. She said her husband was on this forum often. Your wife has cut my hair several times before.

Unless there's 2 people that sold Evos for Vs in Tunkhannock.

Money isn't a huge issue, I'm no millionaire, but I make an ok living as a paramedic. Still, its not easy to just drop a few grand all the time if the car is problematic.

thebigjimsho
07-25-08, 10:48 PM
Smackdaddy, your wife works at Head to Toe right? I talked to her once, she said she liked my WRX and said that her husband had just sold his EVO for a V. She said her husband was on this forum often. Your wife has cut my hair several times before.

Unless there's 2 people that sold Evos for Vs in Tunkhannock.

Money isn't a huge issue, I'm no millionaire, but I make an ok living as a paramedic. Still, its not easy to just drop a few grand all the time if the car is problematic.Cool, where's RunningonEMT??

RG06V
07-25-08, 11:46 PM
I traded my '05 STi for an '06 V. Loved the Suby and still miss it on occasions but I'm still a V newlywed. The V is a great choice for an upgrade. Very close in performance and the amenities are quite nice. I too was surprised by the handling the V offers. I have to say I'm a little mif'd with the Certified Cadillac purchase though. During the first week and a half the V became harder to put in gear. Decided to do some checking and found the clutch reservoir empty and the engine oil level 2 qts over. Bled the clutch and scheduled it for service as a local Cadillac mechanic said I probably had a leaky slave cylinder. Service completed, clutch pressure tested and no leak found. I was told the fluid just evaporated and to keep a check on the level... I reckon I should do a search to see if any of you have experienced evaporating clutch fluid.

Speedogomer
07-26-08, 08:21 AM
I'll miss my wrx in the winter for sure, but a solid set of snow tires will get me where I need to go.

I def am looking forward to some more comfort, I drove to Pittsburgh a few months ago and my butt hated me for a week, the rex's seats are pretty hard

crankedupforit
07-26-08, 08:47 AM

i cross-shopped the sti and V, and settled on the V.

Jimmy
Stay off 294 man it's a zoo out there.

Mike

smackdaddy
07-26-08, 08:58 AM
speedogomer, do you have a black REX?

NormV
07-26-08, 10:56 AM
Cool, where's RunningonEMT??

TBJS, your getting long in the tooth compared to the group in this thread! :)

Norm

JimmyH
07-26-08, 11:33 AM
bigjim has all of you fooled. He is actually the ripe old age of 21.

I know the redo of the Impreza has gotten thumbs down from enthusiasts, but the new interior is bigger, more comfortable and better put together. The doors are fully framed and slam with a thud. Definitely a much more comfortable vehicle.

Now, they have a good platform, they just need to give it better track abilities...

They killed the looks, that's for sure. At least the hatch. The sedan isn't too bad. But no STi version.

Everything I read though says it is a more serious performer than the last one in every way.

Jimmy
Stay off 294 man it's a zoo out there.

Mike

As if I have a choice. God help you if a car breaks down and you're in the local lanes.

NormV
07-26-08, 02:34 PM
bigjim has all of you fooled. He is actually the ripe old age of 21.

They killed the looks, that's for sure. At least the hatch. The sedan isn't too bad. But no STi version.

"Freshmen 15" took it's toll. ;)

Yeah, looks like a Ford Focus hatchback. EVO lost it's muscle too. 2009 V2 is dante looking too! :)

Norm

Speedogomer
07-27-08, 01:25 PM
I have a blue WRX, you've prob seen it around Tunkhannock before.

I'm in NJ now for the weekend smackdaddy, if I get a free day this week I'll drop you a PM and maybe meet up, I'd love to see what a maggied V runs like.

Any other V's around NEPA?