: Auto on for Fog Lights?

Benjamin Simon
07-24-08, 12:28 AM
In my 99 STS, I could leave the Fog Light on and every time I started the car the fog lights would remain on. Now in my 2005 STS, I must turn them on every time. Is there anyway I could have the fog lights turn on when ever the day time running lights are on?
Thanks in advanced.

pjbizjak
07-24-08, 10:50 AM
I don't think so. Bummer!

STScaddyman65
07-25-08, 06:29 PM
Sorry Ben,
No can do on the newer models...(I wish the SAME thing brother!)
It's funny you are posting a thread about lights this week. I finally learned something this week I have been trying to figure out for over 6 weeks about lights on my 06 STS and I was wondering if I should post so others who may have the same issue could learn. All of my flustration finally led me to the the manual and I also got lucky.

The story begins with the classic amber daytime lights that Cadillac is now known for, I could never see mine on when I came up behind a nice shiny truck or car. My headlamps were on but not the amber lamps???? Once when I pulled into a gas station and parked in front of the glass door, prior to putting the car into park, I seen the amber lights on, only once and never again???? Why? What did I do different that day?
What the heck, do I have a bad sensor on the dash or what??
Well, I found out why...
You know the fancy auto sensing wiper feature we have that I like so much and ALWAYS have on? Well, when it is on the day time lamps are on and the amber lamps are off! Some crary thing that must be tied to the fact that if you have your wipers on you must need headlights on too! So now I keep the wipers off so I can enjoy the great look of my caddy with the amber lights that so many of the proud Cadillac owners have to announce that they are coming from miles ahead!!!
I felt stupid but I don't care, I learned and now I share the knowledge!!!
Thanks for your post Ben, it gave me the nerve to share!!!!!
Jeff :)

Benjamin Simon
07-26-08, 11:30 AM
That is cool. I did not know that. I turn the auto sense off by pulling the wiper lever down, correct?
That is annoying I cannot leave the fog lights on all of the time. Must be a software thing. Can something be rewired?

Cliff8928
07-26-08, 01:26 PM
.. Another thing is if you switch your fog lamp switch in the daytime, it will turn off the amber lights, turn on the fogs and the parking lights.

I do that all the time in the XLR, I don't really like the way the ambers look in it.

rb92gt
07-26-08, 06:04 PM
I agree with Cliff, parking lights/fogs look much better than amber daytime driving lights.

Maximln
07-26-08, 06:39 PM
Your daytime running lights are not really tied into your Rainsensing wipers. Whenever you turn your wipers on in any position (auto, lo or hi), after 20 seconds your daytime running lights are switched off and your regular headlamps are on. This is a safety feature. GM figures that if you are in a situation where you need your wipers on, you also need your headlamps on. If you continuously leave your wipes in the "Auto" position, even when it is not raining, your headlamps will always be on, even if it is a sunny day.

Max

BMBSALES
07-26-08, 09:34 PM
...after 20 seconds your daytime running lights are switched off and your regular headlamps are on...

it may even be more like 4 or 5 seconds

hazcaddy
07-26-08, 09:41 PM
Do you know how damn annoying it is for a) anyone you are driving behind and b) everybody coming the other way, for you to have your fog lights on when there isn't any fog?

They're called fog lights for a reason. Don't go blinding people!

turnerbend
07-26-08, 11:40 PM
The rainsening wiper are tied to the lighting system. Manual will tell you not to leave rainsening wiper on when going through a car wash because the wiper will come on.

Cliff8928
07-26-08, 11:45 PM
Do you know how damn annoying it is for a) anyone you are driving behind and b) everybody coming the other way, for you to have your fog lights on when there isn't any fog?

I notice plenty of cars with their fogs on all the time and it doesn't bother me at all. It's those cars which have REAR fogs that are annoying when they don't know when to use them.

Plus, I'm referring to daytime here. Not quite the same.

rb92gt
07-27-08, 01:18 AM
Fog lights blinding people... huh? Fogs are suppose to be aimed low parallel to the ground so they light up the road without lighting up the fog making a white haze the driver can't see through. I even have HID fogs that I installed and have driven another car in front of my cadi, and my fogs are less bright than my stock headlamps.

This being said, I guess if someone aims the fog lights up high, they will blind people and also blind themselves in fog.

Cliff8928
07-27-08, 03:34 AM
Exactly, I also find that having the fog lights on makes it easier on the eyes at night not having that dark area immediately around the car.

Mis-adjusted headlights and overloaded vehicles are FAR worse than fog lights.

Maximln
07-27-08, 07:25 PM
What does going through a car wash have to do with your lighting system? The reason they tell you to turn off Rainsense when you are going through a car wash is to not damage the wipers. When you are going through the car wash, the water would activate the wipers as the big rollers are washing your car.

Max

My bad. It used to be 20 seconds when Cadillac first adopted this safety feature but now it is only 6 seconds.

turnerbend
07-27-08, 09:17 PM
Duh, if the rainsensing is in auto and the running light will not come (the orig post) the wipers will come when the windshield senses water.

BMBSALES
08-04-08, 09:33 PM

wow...i never really saw it as a problem. u sure you're talking about fogs?

shimy86
08-19-08, 05:07 PM
Fogs are amber, driving lights are white. The amber tint helps with not lighting up the fog. The white driving lights are to enhance the lighting when on low beam. they go off on high beam

Cliff8928
08-21-08, 02:30 AM
Eh? Fog lights have wide low beams for use when your lows are on, Driving lights have narrow long beams for when you have your high beams on. I don't know of any car which has "Driving lights" as OE.

pjbizjak
08-21-08, 11:43 AM
The fogs on the STS 05-08 are white, the daytime running lights/turn signal are amber. If wipers are set in auto mode the headlights come on and the daytime running lights go off, this is the case whether it's raining or not. If you turn on the fog lamps when headlights are on they will go out when 'brights' are activated.

dkozloski
08-21-08, 12:58 PM
Federal law regulates how many lights of all types can be shown to the front AND the rear under all conditions. If you start monkeying around in this area you're opening yourself to being hassled by the cops. If you and your friends can notice the difference, so can they.