: Tires: Goodyear F1 A/S vs. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

pmsteinm
07-23-08, 03:02 PM
After the F1 SC, 2 sets of GS-D3s, and 1 set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (all stock size) I now have the new Goodyear F1 AS tires (3k miles so far). Here are my impressions:

Less dry grip then the Pilot Sport A/S tires (.94 vs 1.18g on my favorite turn) and they make a lot more noise. Wet seems about the same, braking seems similar. Wear however, is another matter. So far they are wearing evenly and look they will outlast any previous tire (previous best was the Michelin's at 14k). The problem with the michelins (and 3 sets of them on my 2000 STS) was that they wear in the center really fast (despite tire pressure changes) because its the "summer" tread section. The outer blocks hardly wear at all.

I can't comment on cold weather, since we haven't had any yet. Ride quality is close.

Are the Michelins worth the extra cost? Prob not, since they won't last as long and .94g is still pretty respectable.

Hopefully this will be the last set of tires on this car, since I'm hoping for a 09 V (which has hardly any tire choices right now).

thebigjimsho
07-23-08, 03:18 PM
I've driven on a lot of Goodyears in my time. I have NEVER had a set wear evenly...

Keys8541
07-23-08, 04:10 PM
Goodyears from now on. im sick of trying out new tires. the F1's so far are by far the best.

thebigjimsho
07-23-08, 04:31 PM
PS2s ownz all. The End.

onebadcad
07-23-08, 04:56 PM
Goodyears from now on. im sick of trying out new tires. the F1's so far are by far the best.

Try some PS2s, you will be impressed.

onebadcad
07-23-08, 04:58 PM
PS2s ownz all. The End.

:werd::word::rock::bows::true::beavis:

Call me the King of Emoticons!

thebigjimsho
07-23-08, 05:27 PM
:werd::word::rock::bows::true::beavis:

Call me the King of Emoticons!:king:

Keys8541
07-23-08, 08:43 PM
I guess i may just have to try PS2's.......

CIWS
07-24-08, 07:43 AM
Tires should depend upon your type of driving conditions and when/how the car is driven. Some folks the V is an extra vehicle that gets driven when they want to, others (like me) it's a daily driver and is always driven. My personal tire choice to put and leave on the car is an All Season simply because I don't own an extra set of wheels/tires to swap out on the car or live somewhere that has a harsh enough winter that I should run winter tires when it gets bad. I prefer to minimize having the wheels removed and tires mounted and dismounted to avoid them fracking my wheels up. Yes I give up some degree of dry grip in the process but I trade that for a tire that is great in the water and will stand a light bit of snow for our winters, plus (should have) a longer tread life, again minimizing the swap process. I ran a set of the GY F1 A/S for about 7000 miles before I traded the CTS-V and they still looked like new. On the STS-V I just swapped out the run craps to a set of the GY F1 A/S so we'll see how they do on this car since I cannot rotate the tires.

Michelin has usually built a damn good tire, and many owners of the PS2s highly recommend them. But for me personally I run an A/S.
:)

CIWS
07-26-08, 08:18 AM
Just a quick note here in Props to Goodyear. I sent off my rebate on the set of tires I bought in the 2nd week of June and got the check back in the mail yesterday (50.00). Pretty quick and no hassle. :thumbsup:

SLPR 6.0L
07-26-08, 08:37 AM
255 PS2s for the last 20K. Hope to get 25K. Best tire I have run in my 25 years of driving. Tire performs great in dry and wet conditions.

HiTechRV
07-26-08, 11:25 PM
PS2's are better than the F1 run craps. I am thinking track rain tires might be better yet.

v10boost
07-28-08, 12:28 AM
PS2s ownz all. The End.

i agree

thebigjimsho
07-28-08, 01:22 AM
baleeeeed dat. Next!

CIWS
07-28-08, 09:31 AM
PS2's are better than the F1 run craps. I am thinking track rain tires might be better yet.

They're not speaking about the run crap F1s.