: What am I suppose to do with the Center Caps??!!

CtsVrod
07-23-08, 01:33 PM
So as many of you know Im having my Cadi Accessory Wheels Powdercoated. I dropped them off yesterday, and have decided to go with the Charcoal, Gunmetal Finish... Actually I was told the Finish I picked is BRAND NEW, and has never been used before, its a Gunmetal Nickel (that's what they called it) Anyway I asked them what to do about the Center Caps.. and I was told there is Nothing You can do to Color the center Caps because they are Plastic :crybaby: So My wheels will be Dark Grey, as well as the Lug Caps, but the Centers will still be ugly silver?? Can you tint them, Paint them etc.?? I would've liked them to match, but they cant be powdercoated, So Im thinking to just darken them a little so they blend in a bit more... Anyone try this?? Any other options??

stuckey
07-23-08, 01:47 PM
I would say sand and paint. Just my humble opinion. Just wait till your wheels are done and find a color as close as you can get. An automotive paint store such as PPG or Dupont should be able to mix you a pint really close. Post some pics when you get your wheels back I'm interested to see the color. How much is this costing you?

CtsVrod
07-23-08, 01:53 PM
I would say sand and paint. Just my humble opinion. Just wait till your wheels are done and find a color as close as you can get. An automotive paint store such as PPG or Dupont should be able to mix you a pint really close. Post some pics when you get your wheels back I'm interested to see the color. How much is this costing you?

Yea thats kind of what I had planned...

I will def be posting up some pics when there done... Should be approx a week. He's charging me 550 for all 4 Wheels, 2 stage Finish, and Fixing the Curb Rash on Two of the Wheels, and doing all 24 Lug Caps.

Caditude
07-23-08, 01:55 PM
You could always get the black ones?

CtsVrod
07-23-08, 01:59 PM
You could always get the black ones?

Havnt seen the Black Ones yet... Im not sure which would stand out more though... Black or Silver, on a Gunmetal Finish.

perfect
07-23-08, 02:19 PM
if your center caps are in good condition you should see trade them with some unfortunate soul who has bad looking caps (like the backs have separated from the rims and make them look ugly).

If you're going to sand and paint them anyway....

heavymetals
07-23-08, 02:39 PM
Get the painted inserts from Luke.

CtsVrod
07-23-08, 02:41 PM
Get the painted inserts from Luke.

Painted Inserts? Just Blanks?? Didnt know about these... Luke just shipped out my Fg2's and Threaded Wheels Locks!! Now Im gonna have to call him again for more stuff!!

heavymetals
07-23-08, 02:44 PM
The cadillac logo is painted just like the crest.

Looks neat!

CtsVrod
07-23-08, 02:47 PM
The cadillac logo is painted just like the crest.

Looks neat!

Hmm... Im gonna have to search for some pics of these.

NormV
07-23-08, 04:00 PM
I think the black look good and should fit just fine. I got mine from schram on eBay.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/111998-picked-up-damaged-05-v-less-7.html

Norm

v10boost
07-23-08, 05:19 PM
wait for the wheels and send it out together to body shop for paint.

CtsVrod
07-23-08, 06:21 PM
wait for the wheels and send it out together to body shop for paint.

Yea I might do that, but Im anxious enough just to get them back! To get them and then take them somewhere else for a couple days will be torture!! I think I might try taking one apart (i have the original set, and the new ones that came with the wheels) and seeing if I can paint it myself or something. I noticed it on this thread - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/104290-finally-painted-wheels.html Not exactly sure how he did it though... and his PM inbox is FULL

Bigron
07-23-08, 09:12 PM
I would tape off the logo and crest and paint the rest to match

DownSouthCaddy
07-27-08, 01:10 PM
You can actually tint the center caps. I am about to do it to mine. I work at a street rod shop, and i plan on going about it the way i would if i was tinting some tail lights. You mix up some clear coat like you would if you were going to clear anything, and then put a few drops of basecoat black into the clear. Then you can layer the clear on until you get the shade that you like. Hope this helps

Lane
Street Rod Concepts
Lake Jackson, Texas

onebadcad
07-27-08, 08:32 PM
Here's the black ones from Lindsay:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/onebadcad/NACYouthService4.jpg

Be careful removing the stock caps, as the glue that hold the cap to the backing loses grip over time.