: "Honeymoon Over" Update

NIK
07-23-08, 02:15 PM
In an earlier post I described how my trouble free ride in my V lasted over 4 years until my power steering pump suddendly went south. It looked like a relatively painless fix as I am under the Major Guard extended warranty which is, to quote my salesman, "exactly the same as the factory warranty." Guess what? It isn't!

My potential nightmare began when I picked up my V on Monday after the new pump was installed. I drove maybe one half mile and I began to hear a power steering whine. By the time I got home the reservoir was dry and I could hardly steer. I filled the reservoir and the whining went away and the steering returned. Took it for a test drive and within minutes the whining and hard steering returned. Back in my garage I found the reservoir was again dry and this time there was a big puddle of power steering fluid on the floor. Filled it again, went right to the dealer. To make things short, they theorize that the new pump's pressure somehow blew out the main steering assembly and it will all have to be replaced. Now, I don't know exactly what they're talking about except that the assembly must come from Lansing, MI and that Major Guard will not pay to have it over-nighted so it will take about 5 days to get here. Additionally, Major Guard will also pay for only one day's car rental, if I need it longer, I pay the tab. Does this sound right to you guys? I'm so freakin' frustrated as I've always had tremendous success with this dealer both regarding sales and service and now something just doesn't seem right. Comments would be appreciated. By the way, my car has 23,000 miles on it and is mint and has been relatively babied.

perfect
07-23-08, 02:32 PM
I have never used my V's warranty but I would imagine that the cost of renting a vehicle should be covered.

Doesn't the Caddy dealer that is servicing your car have loaners for this very reason?

CtsVrod
07-23-08, 02:36 PM
I have never used my V's warranty but I would imagine that the cost of renting a vehicle should be covered.

Doesn't the Caddy dealer that is servicing your car have loaners for this very reason?

It is covered under your Factory Warranty... His has expired, so He bought the Major Guard from GM, which is SOMEWHAT like the Factory Warranty, but doesnt cover as many items - like Rental Cars...

Mystical_Ice
07-23-08, 04:12 PM
mine covers rental cars. i think.

Bigron
07-23-08, 04:56 PM
Call
1-800-631-5590
and explain the situation

It could be the dealer making the call on 1 day rental.

benelliwang
07-23-08, 05:06 PM
Sounds like the steering rack was bad, they replaced the steering pump instead of the rack the first time. So the problem was still there and still causing oil slicks as you drive. Now they know that they are retared and is ordering a the correct replacement for you. Sounds pretty SNAFU to me.

DRKSIDE
07-24-08, 01:13 AM
23,000 miles and you are out of factory warranty? My Certified Pre Owned warranty covers my car to 100K miles and I have never paid for a rental (even when the shop had it for 5 days)! Don't know about the overnight charge but if I had a new car (and yours is brand SPANKIN' new compared to mine) and an extended warranty and didn't get the same coverage as a used tub, I would be major upset!

That just doesn't seem right at all.

ewill3rd
07-24-08, 09:39 AM
Call GMPP and ask them, the dealer should be able to go to bat for more days but GMPP can be pretty stingy about rental cars.
If the part is not readily available they should offer you some sort of help.

Did they ever stop to think to ask you to pay the overnight freight? I mean sure it is money out of your pocket but if it isn't covered I'll almost guarantee it would be cheaper than 4 days in a rental car.
Perfect example of their thinking inside the box.

NIK
07-24-08, 11:23 AM
23,000 miles and you are out of factory warranty? My Certified Pre Owned warranty covers my car to 100K miles and I have never paid for a rental (even when the shop had it for 5 days)! Don't know about the overnight charge but if I had a new car (and yours is brand SPANKIN' new compared to mine) and an extended warranty and didn't get the same coverage as a used tub, I would be major upset!

That just doesn't seem right at all.

Original factory warranty is 50K miles or 48 months, whichever comes first ...
You could have 5K miles on your vehicle and if the 48 months expires you are no longer covered by the factory warranty. My question is why does my Major Guard (a GM plan) extended warranty not cover car rentals for extended repairs? Or shouln't the dealer itself kick in for a couple days rental especially after they goofed the first time?

ewill3rd
07-24-08, 11:34 AM
Again, GMPP has a phone number, and likely the answers to your questions.

Bigron
07-24-08, 06:49 PM
^^^^^^Someone who knows a thing or two about GMPP

GMPP has a number and I already posted it

My guess is the dealer is denying the rental not GMPP. Call, be polite and explain the situation.

CadzillaTN
07-24-08, 10:18 PM
Im reading my GMPP brochure that I got when I purchased. It says:
"Major Guard will pay the cost to rent a replacement vehicle for public transportation (some limits apply) whenever 2 or more labor time guide hours are required for the repair, or your vehicle is not drivable and must be kept overnight"

(some limits apply)= Dealer Consent. I wouldn't waste your breath with corporate customer service, just call the dealer service manager and nicely explain why you need a car. If they don't do it F em but its probably your only shot. Tattling will only piss them off. If they give you a legitimate business reason for not loaning you a car then suck it up and get a ride. At least your issues will be fixed. They could try to deny the claim altogether...which would really suck. jmo

CadzillaTN
07-24-08, 10:23 PM
one more thing, not sure how you could be under gmpp major guard with that mileage on an 05 unless it was purchased in July 04 which I doubt. In this case you are still under factory warranty which means you should definitely get a car for a month if thats what it takes. Their logistical issues shouldn't be your problem if the part is covered...

ctsv154
07-25-08, 12:44 AM
one more thing, not sure how you could be under gmpp major guard with that mileage on an 05 unless it was purchased in July 04 which I doubt. In this case you are still under factory warranty which means you should definitely get a car for a month if thats what it takes. Their logistical issues shouldn't be your problem if the part is covered...

I was wondering the same thing

NIK
07-30-08, 05:41 PM

Believe it or not, it is an '05 and I took delivery June 8, 2004, so my factory
warranty has expired. UPDATE: I picked the car up, new power steering pump and rack installed and covered 100% by Major Guard. They also paid for the 3 days car rental that I had. Needless to say I am pleased with the outcome thus far!

Bigron
07-31-08, 11:03 AM
Glad to hear it worked out as I expected it to.