: Aftermarket MAFs

lollygagger8
07-23-08, 01:15 PM
Do aftermarket Mass Airflow Sensors do anything for you? I don't see how they could add any HP. For example, Granatelli makes one.

peter simov
07-23-08, 01:35 PM
Lingenfelter has one also

jerrad
07-23-08, 01:44 PM
From the articles I've read they are not needed. There are 600+ cars on the stock MAF. They might add a couple but the HP per dollar is way off in my book.

stuckey
07-23-08, 01:45 PM
I've heard bad things about the Granatelli for the V's. I've heard that they aren't calibrated quite ride and can cause some issues and maybe even pop a code. This is just hear say for me on this particular car. I had a 2000 Z-71 that I added one to and it did fine. Lastly, on both my Trans AM and V I have punched the screen out to give better air flow. This seems to be what alot of people are doing. Just be extra careful not to damage the diodes or whatever. I'm not an expert but that's what I would suggest until you can find out for sure that its a big help with no troubles. I have no experience with the Lingenfelter.

lollygagger8
07-23-08, 01:59 PM
All I've heard about descreening is BAD. I just wonder if aftermarket maf's are like throttle body spacers...meaning useless. (?)

I remember back in the day I bought one of those stupid little things (resistor: clips into the sensor bracket) from SLP that "tricks" the car into thinking the air temp is "cooler". Well, that p.o.s. made the car hit the rev limiter before it shifted (automatic GTP)

heavymetals
07-23-08, 02:36 PM
Replacing the MAF in search of more HP is not the way to go, however, if you want, I have one for sale cheap ($40 and it's yours).

Cost me about $200.00 and it came off the day Stealth told me to put my old one back on.:banghead:

Granatelli like.

What they do is adjust the MAF to run a leaner mix from what I was told.

By By C Ya
07-23-08, 02:49 PM
If it were me, I'd spend the money elsewhere. IMHO

thebigjimsho
07-23-08, 02:52 PM
Granatelli FTMFL!

Bueller
07-23-08, 03:18 PM
My friend has one on his V. It didn't appear to help or hurt it, just a waste of cash.

The Tony Show
07-23-08, 03:25 PM
You'll get more HP from a high performance muffler bearing than the MAF.

thebigjimsho
07-23-08, 03:27 PM
You'll get more HP from a high performance muffler bearing than the MAF.whisler told me you'd get more hp from Bigfoot's d*ck...

stuckey
07-23-08, 03:38 PM
All I've heard about descreening is BAD. I just wonder if aftermarket maf's are like throttle body spacers...meaning useless. (?)

I remember back in the day I bought one of those stupid little things (resistor: clips into the sensor bracket) from SLP that "tricks" the car into thinking the air temp is "cooler". Well, that p.o.s. made the car hit the rev limiter before it shifted (automatic GTP)

Not knocking your post by by any means I'm still learning, but what have you heard that was bad about descreening?

heavymetals
07-23-08, 03:42 PM
I feel bad enough!

ok, $25.00 and it's anybodies.

The Tony Show
07-23-08, 03:44 PM
Part of the design in the MAF sensor is to give the sensor a "clean" reading of how much air is entering. By punching out the screen and removing the crossbar that is part of our MAF you expose the sensor to more turbulent air and remove its ability to properly read airflow volume.

rand49er
07-23-08, 04:29 PM
duck?

deck?

dock?

:confused:

The Tony Show
07-23-08, 04:32 PM
I feel bad enough!

ok, $25.00 and it's anybodies.

I offer a sweet mood ring and a .25c off Fruit Loops coupon.

Take it or leave it.

thebigjimsho
07-23-08, 04:33 PM
duck?

deck?

dock?

:confused:Richard.

CTSV_Rob
07-23-08, 04:36 PM
I offer a sweet mood ring and a .25c off Fruit Loops coupon.

Take it or leave it.
Plus shipping?

thebigjimsho
07-23-08, 04:37 PM
I feel bad enough!

ok, $25.00 and it's anybodies.What if you bump up the extinguisher brackets a couple bucks each and give it to Bigfoot to use as a ****ring...

benelliwang
07-23-08, 05:27 PM
They come in many flavors or a combination of them:
1. Ported & descreened MAF, they do provide better airflow but causes inaccurate air metering at cruising speed because the screen to straighten out air isn't there. If you have a lot of time or lots of experience, you can tune the car to get the reading correctly again. They do flow more air but stock ones can flow plenty fine in most HP levels.
2. Bigger MAF sizes, again better airflow but stock ones can flow fine in most HP levels.
3. Reporting less air to ECU so it fools the ECU to run a just little leaner to gain 5 to 10 hp, some cars' tune is slightly rich and by leaning it out just a bit will give your the power hidden in the safety margin. But this can be done better with a tune to better fit for your car's mods, or a MAF translator can also do the same thing with more options to change.
4. Our MAF also has a built in air temp sensor, by tricking the air temp it can also richen or lean out the a/f ratio for more HP. Again, it should be done with tune matched to your car instead of a maf.

On my Vette (built LS1 twin turbo), I tossed out the MAF since the car flows more air than it can measure anyways. I will do that too when I turbo the Caddie.

04vman
07-24-08, 03:23 AM
I have a buddy with a Vette, he has a Granatelli maf, and he says he noticed a little boost. Again though he said if he had to do all over again he would not buy it new again. The hp to cost ratio on a new one is not quit optimal. But he says if you can get one for around $100, thats not a bad deal.

Naf
07-24-08, 04:46 AM
I had one on my Tahoe, just poured more fuel into the mixture and made tunin a B!oTCH.

Tried to pawn it off and had NO TAKERS...Hell i left it out side and said 50$ and still no takers...

Stick to the stock MAF and if you want to step it up a little then go for the LPE 100mm MAF...It comes calibrated and even has the chart for you as well...200$ i think, best thing i bought but couldnt use till today...

rb1
07-24-08, 10:14 AM
Has anyone had any improvement with an aftermarket MAF sensor?

There is a Granatelli out there and I wonder if it would do anything for a mostly stock CTS-V.

stuckey
07-24-08, 11:02 AM
Check this thread...some good advice here and lots of other threads out there.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/145703-aftermarket-mafs.html

By By C Ya
07-24-08, 11:38 AM
:yeah:

rb1
07-24-08, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys.
Maybe a good wax will give me a little more speed.

lollygagger8
07-24-08, 12:35 PM
Not knocking your post by by any means I'm still learning, but what have you heard that was bad about descreening?

I remember a post by StealthV saying there are people that descreen their MAF's and those are the people that wish they hadn't. Seems like it would cause more probs than help. Just wondering what the aftermarket MAFs would do to make more HP if anything. I guess they are the same thing as a throttle body spacer.....garbage.