: Tow hook ideas - for the track day junkies!

NormV
07-23-08, 11:13 AM
Trukk and a few others were talking about tow hook applications for the V. Since the V has different bumpers front and rear than the base model they would be unique to the V. Not that most of us plan to get off the race track and not be able to get back on(i.e. mud, sand trap, or worse stuck on tire wall) it would at least save the bumper from the ground crews tow truck. :)

Most European cars have a plug in the bumper that conceals a female thread where a long tow hook attaches to the frame. The V's frame is quite a ways away from the bumpers(at least something steal) and without cutting up the bumper a nylon strap with a hook at the end might be best for the rear. Not sure about the front. The hinged stationary hook is novel as you will not walk into it like a fixed hook but could rub the bumper if not secure. Take a look at some ideas from the Corvette guys in the link below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=2043062

Norm

lunarx
07-23-08, 12:55 PM
I like the strap idea and/or something that only requires removing the bottom front grille to use/attach it.

jweymar
07-23-08, 01:39 PM
I had an extension hook that extended from the frame and stuck out under the front fascia rubber, painted black it wasnt noticable and it was slightly flexible so as not to brake. It did scrape on driveways a little and I took it off when I bent it driving up on a lift.

cvettr/cts-v
07-23-08, 05:02 PM
I had an extension hook that extended from the frame and stuck out under the front fascia rubber, painted black it wasnt noticable and it was slightly flexible so as not to brake. It did scrape on driveways a little and I took it off when I bent it driving up on a lift.

I am not looking for this but it sounds as if a hybrid of the design you mentioned above could be adapted to easy on /easy off with pins and spring clips would be what they are looking for maybe you could show them any pics and or drawings you have if you don't mind them using you idea and design.

ELES6CTS
08-29-10, 05:58 PM
Did anyone ever come up with an idea for this? Wanting to get something before I go to the track.

AG'S-V
08-30-10, 10:23 AM
Wondering the same thing...I know some were tying onto the strut bar close to one side mount or the other...but that thing would be super easy to bend or break in a hairy situation.

CadiBlk
08-30-10, 04:43 PM
Around the diff? I heard that it's tough.

kirchbed
09-04-10, 10:06 AM
There is a female receptacle behind the rear bumper cover on the passenger side for a tow eye to screw into. The CTS-V bumper cover doesn't have the cut-out to access it though. The closest/equivalent regular CTS bumper cover is "OEM number'' (not sure if this is the GM part #): 12335719 Description: CTS; w/3.6L engine; w/o Custom Bumper; w/Dual Exh; w/Tow Hook Hole.
Aesthetically the covers are basically the same... the CTS-V cover appears to be ~ an inch or two closer to the ground... having that second horizontal accent detail and the dual exhaust cutouts are close to half round as opposed to 1/3 round on the CTS.

So, you can either butcher your rear cover or buy the dual exhaust CTS one & then get the GM spec tow eye/hook. I don't know that part number, but apparently it exists.

ELES6CTS
09-04-10, 05:30 PM
I think I may end up having a shop cut a slot and buy a universal hook with the dual rows for mounting bolts. Just gotta figure out where exactly to bolt it to now.

kirchbed
09-04-10, 05:38 PM
... universal hook with the dual rows for mounting bolts...

? and where?

ELES6CTS
09-04-10, 06:31 PM
http://www.racecartowhooks.com/