: 1st gear difficulty question

svtbolt2001
07-22-08, 10:24 AM
My car has about 10K miles on it and is sometime hard to get into first gear while sitting at a light. If I go to 2nd first then back to first it fixes the issue. Have you guys scene this?

Netsloth
07-22-08, 10:29 AM
That's pretty normal, I think. That is to say that I've experienced the issue in other manual cars.

I've found that if you lightly push toward first while you start to un-clutch, it frees up the gear and it will engage correctly.

CTSV_510
07-22-08, 10:38 AM
:welcome: to the club!

Max-Q
07-22-08, 11:08 AM
This is normal for every manual transmission car I've ever owned. I think it has something to do with aligning the synchros on the tranny. You will probably have the same issue trying to get it into reverse.

CtsVrod
07-22-08, 01:20 PM
This is normal for every manual transmission car I've ever owned. I think it has something to do with aligning the synchros on the tranny. You will probably have the same issue trying to get it into reverse.

:yeah:

The Tony Show
07-22-08, 01:45 PM
Synchronizers only work when the car is rolling. If it won't engage while stopped, let the clutch up while in Neutral, then press it again and 1st should engage fine. Either that, or put it in first while you're rolling to a stop and keep the clutch held in at the light.

lollygagger8
07-22-08, 02:54 PM
What you can do is leave the car in gear until you come to a full stop....then let the clutch out (stopped the entire time, don't let the car roll) and it should go back into gear just fine since the synchos are lined up still.

Adrenaline
07-22-08, 07:32 PM
I have the same problem in 1st and reverse, but with time I've gotten better.

lilred
07-22-08, 11:28 PM
Also check your clutch fluid, if it's black and/or low, change it. Wouldn't hurt to do the trans either. I felt a huge improvement after doing a trans flush.