: What you can/can't do with Blue Tooth

jkviper
07-20-08, 08:23 PM
I don't own my STS yet, but am getting closer to purchasing one.

I've read on the forum that there is some functionality that the STS bluetooth provides that is in-active when the car is moving.

What exactly can you do with Blue Tooth while it is moving? How do you answer calls and place calls while you are driving?

What can't you do once you are in motion?

Thanks.

Onalaska
07-20-08, 10:27 PM
The phone kepad on the nav aux. screen is grayed out when driving so you can not dial calls using the keypad while moving unless you have the lockpick installed.

While driving to answer calls simply touch the green phone icon on the nav aux. screen. To dial numbers press the VR button and say "Phone Enter" it will come back with "Number Please" you then speak the number you want to dial and it will repeat the number back to you then it will say "Confirm" and you say "dial" and it will dial the number for you. You can also store nametags. After doing so you can press the VR button and say "Phone Dial Name" and it will come back to you with "Name Please", say the name you stored and it will repeat then name and ask you to confirm yes or no and then it will dial it for you.

Bro-Ham-Detroit
07-22-08, 04:53 PM
i just got my 06 STS yesterday so take this for what it is worth.

I have a Palm 700P and it automatically pairs with the STS very well. Not the case with my aftermarket system or my wifeís MINI system in her '07 Cooper. If Iím talking on the phone and get into the car, it places the car on the speaker phone without problems. It lets you store names/numbers in an internal phone book of a few numbers (maybe 10-12?) but doesn't link, sync or connect in anyway with the phone's internal phone book. When working with the NAV system, it will call the businesses via your phone & BlueTooth if you want.

My wife's 07 MINI lets you look at the phone address book witch is great. Does anyone know if this is on the later firmware upgrades for the Caddy software? BTW, i have the original software, what do i need to say to the dealer to get it upgraded?

Bro-Ham
1994 Fleetwood Brougham (just sold)
2006 STS 1SG w/ACC
1994 LT1 Vette
2002 Honda VTX1800S
lots of other cool stuff :-)

jono6406
07-22-08, 08:55 PM
Say please!!! LOL but seriously if you purchased your car new you will get 2 free updates on the 1st an 2nd anniversity of your purchase date.You must have the ( I think they call it) control number that they sent you in the mail. Check www.gmnavdisc.com for paticulars
Jono

lreddiablo
07-23-08, 05:37 PM
A problem that I have with my bluetooth is that the car will connect to my phone if I even get near the car, even when it is off and locked up. This gets annoying if I am using the phone when this happens cuz my handset goes dead mid-call and I have to tell the phone to switch back. I could remove it as the default phone to fix this but then I would have to manually connect whenever I enter the car.

Buzz48317
07-25-08, 05:51 PM
A problem that I have with my bluetooth is that the car will connect to my phone if I even get near the car, even when it is off and locked up. This gets annoying if I am using the phone when this happens cuz my handset goes dead mid-call and I have to tell the phone to switch back. I could remove it as the default phone to fix this but then I would have to manually connect whenever I enter the car.

Well sort of. As long as the doors are locked you could lay on the roof of the car looking up at the stars talking on the phone till the phone battery dies. What happens is that once the doors are unlocked the phone and the car pair. This will happen whether you unlock the doors by pulling on the door handle OR by pushing the buttons on the remote (personally I would like to kick the guy, who decided that this would be a good idea, in the groin) however it is very simple to get over this. What you do is NEVER use the remote to unlock your car if you are on the phone. When you are on the phone and are approaching the car just let the party know that there will be a little bit of a lapse in the conversation then pull the door handle, get in and push the start button. The conversation will pick up on the car speakers momentarily. It's a pain in the rear, but is never really been that big of a deal to me.

To add to what Onalaska said you can also use the VR button on the steering wheel to answer the calls so you don't ever have to reach for the satnav screen (although you do have that option too).

To also add to what Jono said the satnav system is upgraded free of charge for the first two upgrades. This is a SOFTWARE update as they send you new discs. This will provide new business addresses and telephone numbers, updated area codes and new streets as they become available. There are also several FIRMWARE updates that are released by GM from time to time. This will require you to bring your car to a dealership so the the system can be flashed with new firmware. This will do things like update the VR system as well as clear up some phone pairing issues that were present in the cars.