: Bone Stock

lawfive
07-20-08, 06:59 PM
With all the talk of future possible mods, I'm wondering: am I the only one planning to keep my V2 bone stock? Think about where most of our mods and mod-thought energy have gone on the V1:

Bushings and kits to stop the hop. There is no hop on the V2.

Above mentioned bushings and kits, and other retrofits, to protect/replace the weak diff. The V2 diff appears to be built to take it.

Power mods of various types including forced induction. Gad, do we really need more than the 556/551 that the V2 has?

Exhaust, to make it sound better. The V2 exhaust is Caddy quiet unless you get on it, and then it screams like a monster.

Bluetooth integration, iPod integration, check.

Interior looks: nothing much to mess with here.

All that's TBD for me is the amp and speakers, I think. Aside from that... why would I want to mess up the warranty coverage?

Anybody else planning to stay stock?

[flamesuit on]

StealthV
07-20-08, 08:04 PM
1. Have to see how the stock exhaust sounds in the real world - Worst case on goes a cat-back.

2. A second set of wheels for summer use and use the stockers for winter tires.

3. The shifter is another big unknown.

4. Throw all the chrome in the trash.

5. CAGS must die.

:)

lawfive
07-20-08, 09:08 PM
D'OH... CAGS, of course.

Didn't count my powdercoating of the chrome as a mod, but I guess it is.

Shifter won't be a problem for me...

lawfive
07-20-08, 11:14 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the V2 already has a short throw shifter.

WA 2 FST
07-20-08, 11:56 PM
The fact that the engine did not get the forged internals that the ZR1 does will hamper the ability to raise boost levels much, but I would think it would be safe (and economical from a mod stand-point) to raise the boost a little bit with a simple pulley swap.

Can't have too much power in my book... at least as long as the driveline can handle it and the tires will hook pretty well. :)

StealthV
07-21-08, 12:08 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the V2 already has a short throw shifter.

But does it have the classic Cadillac soft V1 style rubber bushings?

More power V2 needs not.

Dr Chill
07-21-08, 12:46 AM
Rims, exhaust cutouts. That's all for me. No way I'm doing any warranty voiding engine mods after what GM has been doing with voiding C6 warrantees.

I also recommend not posting about your track experiences in this car. Big brother is watching.

v84life
07-21-08, 01:21 AM
Wheels
Tone down the chrome
Tint
Happy

Chevy Ryan
07-21-08, 12:28 PM
My only mod would be a cold air intake, and only if it comes from GM Performance Parts. The only non-GM parts on my car will be Michelin tires and Mobil 1 fluids.

lawfive
07-21-08, 03:31 PM
The fact that the engine did not get the forged internals that the ZR1 does will hamper the ability to raise boost levels much, but I would think it would be safe (and economical from a mod stand-point) to raise the boost a little bit with a simple pulley swap.

Can't have too much power in my book... at least as long as the driveline can handle it and the tires will hook pretty well. :)

Full warranty coverage > more torque/HP

"I shit thee not, I did 0-60 in 3.8 before the engine blew..."

FrgMstr
07-21-08, 06:33 PM
Full warranty coverage > more torque/HP

"I shit thee not, I did 0-60 in 3.8 before the engine blew..."

My sentiments exactly.

WA 2 FST
07-21-08, 07:34 PM
Good point, and well understood.

Granted, I wasn't suggesting upping boost/power to levels of the ZR1 when the internal engine components were not designed for them.

I would love to see the thing run neck-and-neck with my Lingenfelter twin-turbo Vette, though. :)

StealthV
07-21-08, 09:30 PM
Wheels
Tone down the chrome
Tint

Ah yes - Window tint < A factory option would rock. Of course the various state laws would make it a nightmare on GM's ordering system. But I still want it. :thumbsup:

v84life
07-22-08, 01:33 AM
Yeah and a de-chrome option would be nice also as said before. Doesn't have to be all of it just most of it.... The grill for sure:thumbsup:

Cadillac Tony
07-22-08, 02:01 PM
The grill isn't chrome- it's painted silver.

dqw1
07-22-08, 02:54 PM
Tint and maybe wheels and low dust brake pads a few months later. A catback is also a maybe. Otherwise, I like the 09 as it is. I think the caddie boys nailed this design.

concorso
07-22-08, 03:38 PM
I have no idea what tires will come with it, or what the shifter will be like. Those are 2 potential mods. And maybe exhuast work. And painting some of the grey plastic bits on the front/rear bumper to body color. Other then that, maybe some V6 badges or a PSHROD license plate :) This car will be plenty for me for quite a while. Oh...maybe some 3000k HID fogs...

Kadonny
07-22-08, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking tint only. The cags shouldn't be on the automatic (right??) and I'll wait and see about the exhaust, but it sounds like it's going to be ok.

Jpjr
07-22-08, 05:34 PM
Mine will stay stock for at least a year except for maybe CAI and cat-back. As someone mentioned, you are playing with thousands of dollars to blow a warranty on an untested motor by modding. The car has enough power that money can be spent getting that power to the ground before more power is needed. Even a pulley swap is something I would recommend letting an aftermarket shop prove out on the strip before thinking it's safe.

All that said, modding the V2 will be different than modding the V1. For one, you may be dealing with a slushbox. Two, forced induction applications require a completely different approach. Three, at 550hp you are now so far removed from 99% of cars on the road that modding yields diminishing returns compared to the V1. It's not like your starting with a run-of-the-mill 400hp motor :)

Cadillac Tony
07-22-08, 05:41 PM
I have no idea what tires will come with it, or what the shifter will be like. Those are 2 potential mods. And maybe exhuast work. And painting some of the grey plastic bits on the front/rear bumper to body color. Other then that, maybe some V6 badges or a PSHROD license plate :) This car will be plenty for me for quite a while. Oh...maybe some 3000k HID fogs...

OEM tires will be Michelin PS2s- not much room for improvement there. The engineers say that they've eliminated the "stirring oatmeal" feel of the Gen.1 CTS-V (their words, not mine), so I don't know if a shifter will be needed.

The only thing I can think of right out of the gate might be some Magnaflow mufflers. Jpjr is right about diminished returns on a 550hp car- you'd need another 100hp before you really get any improvement, and then you're going to be dealing with traction and warranty problems.

Florian
07-22-08, 10:07 PM
a simple pulley swap.
)

good luck swaping that pulley....DAMHIK.

F

HiTechRV
07-22-08, 10:17 PM
I assume these will be the typical runcraps? I had F1's on my 'vette and CTS V, and the PS2's on my current STS-V. Not impressed. Non runflat versions of these tires would probably have been good performers.

Will normal sidewall tires of the same make significantly improve performance just from the dramatic decrease in rotating mass? Otherwise I bet some track rain tires would make it quicker on the street simply by allowing for a better hole shot.

Cadillac Tony
07-22-08, 10:30 PM
Michelin PS2s are about as aggressive a street tire as there is. They're a little scary when cold, but once they warm up they stick like glue. They are not runflat, and are very soft compound- be ready to replace the first set of rears in less than 10k. :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+PS2

HiTechRV
07-22-08, 10:50 PM
Michelin PS2s are about as aggressive a street tire as there is. They're a little scary when cold, but once they warm up they stick like glue. They are not runflat, and are very soft compound- be ready to replace the first set of rears in less than 10k. :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+PS2

Really the stockers are not run flats? I know my CTS-V had them. That would be awesome. I was shocked at the weight of my V1 runcraps when I pulled one and brought it in to be patched.

Cadillac Tony
07-22-08, 11:02 PM
Honest- they're not. I swear. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s.

The spare tire tub in the trunk will have a little inflator kit and sealing foam (which mucks up tire monitors). The pump plugs into the cigarette lighter to inflate a low tire, but if you get a flat that won't hold air at all have Cadillac Roadside tow you in to the Dealer for free.

HiTechRV
07-22-08, 11:09 PM
Cool. My F1's were called "extended mobility" on my 2007 CTS-V just like the Pilot's are on the Caddy web site. Confused me - I thought that extended mobility = all season run flat.

How odd to have inflation monitors on a non runflat vehicle. I guess they are all headed that way now, though originally it seemed they popped up on cars so you could know you lost pressure on a runflat.

I do find the PS2's grab cold a LOT better than the F1's did. Bodes well for the V2.

The grip of some rain (treaded) road course tires might do better yet for 0-60. I wonder now....

StealthV
07-22-08, 11:38 PM
For 2008 and on, all vehicles must have a tire pressure monitoring system - It's the law. Like many laws, it was needed to protect stupid people from themselves.

Rain tread? If 0-60 around 4 seconds isn't fast enough on PS2 tires, then I'm not sure how to help.

F1 tires on V1 rocked.

PS2 tires rock even more.

jimbo1320
07-23-08, 12:05 AM
One of the best mods I did to my 04 was sways. I really liked them. Along with the tune and Corsa exhaust the car was awsome. Of course untill I blew the rear apart.
Anyone know if Corsa designed the exhaust?

HiTechRV
07-23-08, 12:50 AM
For 2008 and on, all vehicles must have a tire pressure monitoring system - It's the law. Like many laws, it was needed to protect stupid people from themselves.

Rain tread? If 0-60 around 4 seconds isn't fast enough on PS2 tires, then I'm not sure how to help.

F1 tires on V1 rocked.

PS2 tires rock even more.

Stealth the F1's were 10's of pounds more total rotating mass on the car than necessary on the V1. Unsprung mass is the enemy. Kind of like running heavy, bad wheels. The stiff sidewalls also contribute to wheel hop and a harsher than necessary ride.

I'm betting that on track tires the V2 will shave a tenth or more off the 1/4 times, mostly in the 60'.

StealthV
07-23-08, 10:29 PM
For a big heavy car, I didn't mind the F1s. Where they perfect? No, but they worked quite well for what they were. Of course I've since gone the PS2 route on the bimmer. :)

Mystical_Ice
07-24-08, 01:29 AM
Ah yes - Window tint < A factory option would rock. Of course the various state laws would make it a nightmare on GM's ordering system. But I still want it. :thumbsup:

most dealers offer tint as an option, although it may not be endorsed by GM.

just got back from looking at some 2008 CTSs today (looking for a daily driver), and i asked about window tint - they said as long as it's legal, I can pick the tint and they'll have it done at the dealership

Mystical_Ice
07-24-08, 01:31 AM
All that said, modding the V2 will be different than modding the V1. For one, you may be dealing with a slushbox. Two, forced induction applications require a completely different approach. Three, at 550hp you are now so far removed from 99% of cars on the road that modding yields diminishing returns compared to the V1. It's not like your starting with a run-of-the-mill 400hp motor :)

Four (as you touched on already) - the V1's LS6 was a tried and true motor... it had been around for years already. same with the LS2. with the V2, we're the guinea pigs!

v84life
07-24-08, 01:42 AM
For a big heavy car, I didn't mind the F1s. Where they perfect? No, but they worked quite well for what they were. Of course I've since gone the PS2 route on the bimmer. :)

Yeah but mine disappeared at 9k:mad: Come on, give me 15k. Is that to much to ask? Car has never been tracked......

StealthV
07-24-08, 09:02 PM
most dealers offer tint as an option, although it may not be endorsed by GM.

Dealer tint and factory tint are not anywhere close to being the same.

My goal is to get the V out of the dealer's hands as quickly as possible - No dealership crackhead is touching the glass by putting on some cheesy, stick-on $5 film for $300+.

atdeneve
07-25-08, 07:54 AM
Cool. My F1's were called "extended mobility" on my 2007 CTS-V just like the Pilot's are on the Caddy web site. Confused me - I thought that extended mobility = all season run flat.

How odd to have inflation monitors on a non runflat vehicle. I guess they are all headed that way now, though originally it seemed they popped up on cars so you could know you lost pressure on a runflat.

I also thought the 09 V was getting runflat PS2s made specifically for the vehicle. Hmmm. Guess not.

I do find the PS2's grab cold a LOT better than the F1's did. Bodes well for the V2.

I have yet to run PS2s on the V, but I don't think the F1s have that much of a handicap when cold (referring to the tires themselves, not the ambient temperature). I never really noticed a significant change in character between when they were cold and after they were warmed up. Pretty consistent, as far as high performance tires go. On the contrary, it seems most peoples' comments indicate the PS2s need to be warmed up, before you can really flog em.

Although, I would like to get some PS2s on the V (also wanna try the Cups), I find myself continuing to get more F1s. Yeah, the price is ridiculous. Yes, the tread life is ridiculous. And, yup, that does make for a ridiculously nasty combination. But, the F1s are a great handling tire on the V. The turn-in is awesome and the grip is awesome. They really do do what they do well. Even if it's only for a short time.

OEM tires will be Michelin PS2s- not much room for improvement there. The engineers say that they've eliminated the "stirring oatmeal" feel of the Gen.1 CTS-V (their words, not mine), so I don't know if a shifter will be needed.

When I tried shifting through the gears on the 09 V, it felt sorta like the first time you shifted the UUC on the 1st gen, like, right after you installed it. It's definitely more tighter and seems to click into each gear more precisely. This was with the ignition off though. I don't how it'll feel with the engine running and the car in motion.

What was interesting to me was the fact that the clutch pedal felt like it had a dual step in its return. Engaging the clutch, as the pedal passed through its range of motion, there was a change in resistance midway through. Don't know if it was just that particular car or not, but it kinda felt weird.

lawfive
07-25-08, 01:05 PM
Window tint - sure, of course. I guess I didn't consider that as being a mod.

BigFred
07-26-08, 02:21 AM
Bone Stock here, well if they don't price it all to hell and I decide to go elsewhere. I still remember when anything getting under 7 seconds to 60 was pretty fast. I'm trying to keep perspective here. I'm guessing this will be the peak of horsepower madness, after this it is all downhill.

StealthV
07-28-08, 07:10 PM
Bah, we're still power hungry and fuel is cheap in America. :bouncy:

buf05CTSV
07-28-08, 08:06 PM
Bah, we're still power hungry and fuel is cheap in America. :bouncy:

Haha yes. In my book I'm always ready for power adders. As was mentioned before, as long as that power can be transferred to the ground with minimal wheel spin, it's worth it. I'd definitely leave mine stock for a while, then see what's available when I'm ready.

csp3000
07-28-08, 11:35 PM
I brought this up in the 04-07 CTS V forum but I wanted to bring it up here as well.

Turbonetics and my shop want to use my 09 as the test car for a complete bolt on twin turbo kit for the car.:bouncy:

If I decide to do this all the labor is covered by them and they pay for half the cost of the parts. I was told that they want to do three stages of the kit and mine would be stage 2 with 800rwhp

I just dont know if I am that brave or stupid to scrap my warranty right when I get my car.

concorso
07-29-08, 04:25 PM
Will you have both the Escalade and the V? Is the Escalade the wife's car? Buy her an 09 V too. :)

csp3000
07-29-08, 04:29 PM
Will you have both the Escalade and the V? Is the Escalade the wife's car? Buy her an 09 V too. :)

Nope the escalade is mine too. No wife for me...:highfive: But I am going to use the escalade for my daily driver and the 09 V for the weekends...:thumbsup:

Jpjr
07-31-08, 11:26 PM
Nope the escalade is mine too. No wife for me...:highfive: But I am going to use the escalade for my daily driver and the 09 V for the weekends...:thumbsup:

you need an escalade hybrid if you live anywhere near the west coast ;)

Bluhair
08-01-08, 10:58 AM
20" Black wheels. (HRE or 360)
Tint
Valentine 1

concorso
08-01-08, 12:30 PM
Nope the escalade is mine too. No wife for me...:highfive: But I am going to use the escalade for my daily driver and the 09 V for the weekends...:thumbsup: 'Lade are so 2008. Trade the Escalade in, buy 2 V's. Buy one in classy silver, automatic, panoramic roof, and standard seats. Buy the other in manual, recaros, no pan'roof, black obviously, and have that one twin-turbo'd. Problem solved. :)

csp3000
08-01-08, 01:48 PM
'Lade are so 2008. Trade the Escalade in, buy 2 V's. Buy one in classy silver, automatic, panoramic roof, and standard seats. Buy the other in manual, recaros, no pan'roof, black obviously, and have that one twin-turbo'd. Problem solved. :)

Well what about if I get the 09 V coup in silver and the 4dr in black and twin both..;)

Two V's.....:cloud9:

onebadcad
08-01-08, 04:34 PM
But I am going to use the escalade for my daily driver and the 09 V for the weekends...:thumbsup:

Chris,
You do know that there is an SC kit available for the 'Lade:stirpot::gungrin::burn:

http://www.big3performance.com/home3.asp?id=73

csp3000
08-01-08, 04:47 PM
Chris,
You do know that there is an SC kit available for the 'Lade:stirpot::gungrin::burn:

http://www.big3performance.com/home3.asp?id=73

LOL... Thanks Darren but you know that the min I decied to get the Escalade I looked all around at options even though I promised myself to keep it stock...:duh:

Can someone say twins...:yup: Man I need help:D

Bluhair
08-03-08, 11:28 AM
A must have, for little ones.

http://www.recarochildseat.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=959&

concorso
08-04-08, 04:27 PM
^^^Look at the plush bolstering on that bad boy! Jr. might just keep his Gerbers' down from now on! :)