: Drag Race Calculator...

mitchjagger
07-20-08, 02:43 AM
Does anyone know off a good drag race calculator or excel sheet that will calculate 1/4 times taking in account for everything, not just weight and HP like all the other calculators out there?

MisterBlue
07-20-08, 07:53 AM
I haven't heard of one. Anyhow, where would you get the data to input into it? Some things, like weight, horsepower, ambient temperature, and gear ratios, would be easy. Others, like coefficients of drag, track surface condition, dynamic chassis loading, tire grip and growth, and fuel quality, would be hard to quantify. Often, the easiest way to guage performance is researching past history, or using a timing device. For measuring acceleration, I prefer plain old stopwatches to dash-mounted devices.

danbuc
07-22-08, 12:42 PM
Back when I was still in school, we were using a drag program that you could input numerous factors such as ambient temp, c/d, transmission/final drive gear ratios, tire grip, weight transfer..ect. We used that in conjunction with a program to calculate engine output based on everything from cam profile to intake runner length. Pretty interesting stuff, but not really needed unless your running a Top Fuel funny car, or something of that nature and have already calculated every variable before hand, where you can just punch them in where needed.

dkozloski
07-24-08, 01:28 AM
Do a Google search on "drag race calculator" there must be hundreds of them.

Ur7x
07-29-08, 05:08 PM
One that I like to use is this
http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html

You will find that most of the "good" one focus on the trap speed NOT ET to calculate Horse Power.

he formulas are
hp = weight / (ET / 5.825)3
and
hp = weight * (trap speed / 234)3

You can see why trap speed produces a better estimate

eldorado1
07-29-08, 09:31 PM
drag race analyzer by Performance Trends. It's not freeware.